The surprise my roomates brought home from Kentucky

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be totally shocked if this purebred golden retriever was just dumped. We have always had miniature schnauzers and 3 years ago we decided to purchase a golden
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
. Of the breeds we have owned they truly are an amazing "family" dog and so obedient. Not only are they great around children but their beautiful nature lends itself very well to being best buddies of cats, horses, ducks, chickens, you name it
default_laugh.png

My boy "Fuller"

2882_1131719407267_1055702074_390925_1159916_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that EVERY kind of dog is dumped, unfortunately.
default_sad.png
I got a gorgeous, purebred blue eyed Catahoula last year that was living on the streets of New Orleans and rescued by an angel of a woman who couldn't keep her since she already had so many dogs. I paid for her to be spayed and had her flown from Louisiana to Utah. This is a pic of my Lexi, not long after getting home. She's wearing a t-shirt because that kept her from licking her spay stitches.
default_smile.png
FirstpicsofLexiandHayleytogether003.jpg

It baffles me that people can do this, just dump off a dog. Granted, some dogs are lost and not found, but so many more are just abandoned. It's beyond sad that people do this.
default_no.gif

The shelter I volunteer at pretty much only takes in strays, and you wouldn't believe the very nice, well trained, and sometimes purebred dogs that come in sometimes that no one ever comes to claim. What hurts the most is the older ones like that - where the HECK are their families??!!

I can't even trust the others to open the bottoms of chip bags before they put them in the trash, a lesson hard learned with the death of one of the dogs. Dwarf dogs cannot pull the bags off their heads when they go crumb diving and they suffocate.
Wow, you just never know what you might learn on this forum. I had never heard of this before (of course I've always had large (or Xlarge) dogs but it is still a piece of info I am glad to know.

nothing yet, we will take him to be scanned on Monday.

I can't even trust the others to open the bottoms of chip bags before they put them in the trash, a lesson hard learned with the death of one of the dogs. Dwarf dogs cannot pull the bags off their heads when they go crumb diving and they suffocate.
Wow, you just never know what you might learn on this forum. I had never heard of this before (of course I've always had large (or Xlarge) dogs but it is still a piece of info I am glad to know.

Not just chip bags.. bags sliced cheese comes in, bags shredded cheese comes in really any type of bag or baggie can be deadly.

I to learned this lesson the hard way about a year or so ago when one of our chi's died this way. If the bag gets on just the right way it can be tight enough they can not get it off.

People will say...this dog has to be lost and not dumped because he is very well trained and listens so well...could be that the dog was not good for the previous owners...I actually found that with my latest which is a rescue. I was prewarned that he was difficult...and that hasn't been the case at all...he has been very easy and such a joy...could be that Winchester was not getting the proper leadership and didn't connect with his previous owners and could of been dumped...either way I bet he is glad you found him.

I don't believe your theory about the dog perhaps not connecting with it's owner...if you were or had been a golden retriever owner you wouldn't even have thought of that theory because of the temperament of thse dogs. Obsiously whoever owned him before paid a sum of money for him so hence the reason I don't think he was dumped. Unless the owner was a total jerk and couldn't be bothered to ask for help with a golden retriever rescue to rehome him.... These dogs are certainly not guard dogs, they love people too much and just want to be loved. I have never owned a breed like this that just has to be next to you at all time. They want to be touched constantly also, they just love to be loved and in retirn give their soul. Best dog I ever owned.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is true Danielle...majority of goldens are just as you say...we had one and he was a wonderful dog. A friend of ours takes in alot of unwanted goldens...problem ones...and re-homes them and they are not the same dogs when they leave his house as when they came in...chances are that it was most definately a people problem and not so much a dog...but either way they didn't connect with thier original owners and I do believe that happens regardless of breed...again the people are more of the problem than the dog...but still there was not a good connect for either.

I most definately believe a dogs behavior says loads about his environment...regardless of the breed.

I don't believe your theory about the dog perhaps not connecting with it's owner...if you were or had been a golden retriever owner you wouldn't even have thought of that theory because of the temperament of thse dogs. Obsiously whoever owned him before paid a sum of money for him so hence the reason I don't think he was dumped. Unless the owner was a total jerk and couldn't be bothered to ask for help with a golden retriever rescue to rehome him.... These dogs are certainly not guard dogs, they love people too much and just want to be loved. I have never owned a breed like this that just has to be next to you at all time. They want to be touched constantly also, they just love to be loved and in retirn give their soul. Best dog I ever owned.
My neighbor used to have one. He was kind of agressive. He has his certian things that were ok, but could be a bit different at times.

Latest posts

Back