The Show Look

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaraSheidy

Reaction score
What should minis look like to show? What should their hooves look like? Body clipping? How do you train them to stand and park in the show ring? Any special techniques? Please post photos too thanks.

There are many on the far with far more knowledge of showing than me, but here's what I've come to learn in my very limited time showing on a small, local level.

• Clip in the way that accents your horse the best. While my silver bay clips out initially as a dapple gray, she grows back in her sorrel coloring. I could clip her closer to keep that dapple look but it doesn't serve her well, in my opinion.
  • Hoof should be neat, clean and polished. Most people use some sort of coating over it. I'm a chicken and stick with clear but I may try to use black this year because I think my girl looks best when I do.
  • A well trained horse in the ring gets the judge's attention. They shouldn't be "parked out". They should have their legs under them so they are "square." Of course, you may run into judges that prefer the parked out look and will pin their placements accordingly. It takes work/practice to train your horse to stand well in the ring. Pat Elder has some great videos and books on the subject.

Good luck! Showing is a lot of fun and I'm so happy I took the plunge and started doing it!

What should minis look like to show? Depends on the level of the show, but generally the horse show be clipped ( or have a very smooth and brushed coat if in the fall/winter). The horse show look as clean as they possibly can. If your horse is white or has white spots use bluing shampoo to get it extra white. I use a 10 blade for the body, 30 for the legs, and 30s and 40s for the head. Bridle path should also be clipped--if you horse has a nice long neck you can make it shorter, but if your horse has a thick neck keep it longer. Clip hair around ear, some will go and take out all of ear hair, but our horses are outside 24/7 so they would have been attacked by bugs and miserable. Show sheen is also a must. Brush out the the mane and tail. I like to use Cowboy Magic Detangler and Shine and it works really well.

Hooves: Some people lightly sand them and then polish with a clear or black polish. I always like black, but it can make the horse's let look shorter. A good tip is to use a sharpie to blacken the top where you don't want to get too close to the cornet band with the polish.

How do you train them to stand and park in the show ring? Work on getting your horse to stand still and not move if you move around-- a good "whoa" is important. You can lift their legs to move them or push back on the halter to get them to move back and straighten themselves. Then give a cue word like "Set" and reward. Keep practicing this, it will take time. Then show them a treat to get their attention--could be a peppermint wrapper, scented cloth, click pen....what perks your horse's interest. They should perk their ears, look alert, and stretch forward....just make sure they don't move their legs and move towards you, that's where the whoa comes in.

* I attached a picture from a show that I was at 2 weeks ago. She wasn't freshly clipped, but didn't look like a total fluff ball

If you are showing in Halter, cable/noseband type halters are in-style and shows off the horses face.

horshow nov 9 096.jpg

Picture 155.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You have already gotten a couple good replies and I really agree with the statement of what type of shows makes a difference! Local shows you can get away with a little bit more but still want a good presentation and properly fitting equipment. As to clothing. I generally wear a jacket and black pants. Normally dont wear a hat unless in driving classes and sometimes at open shows. Depends on the dress code of the show you are attending as well. Included a picture of one of my normal outfits for rated AMHR/A shows and a couple different horses, showing that they are more square and not overly parked out.

DSC_1205_web.jpg

Jackson228-060-13MINI.jpg

DSCF5247edit.JPG

Clothing:

-Jacket or Rail Shirt ( in the summer I wear a cami underneath so I can take the jacket off between classes)

-Black Pants

-Belt

-Boots

-Hat

-Gloves

-Hair net--sometimes I wear one, sometimes I don't.....it's a personal choice.

-Dress ( If you are doing a rated show and want to show off in a country or single pleasure driving class---this is totally optional. I'm not trying to brag or sound rude, but I am younger than most exhibitors so I feel that I can get away with it....of course no spaghetti straps. Everything needs to be held in ! )

Is there anywhere online I can look to find out what is acceptable (and not) clothing for halter and jumping for R and A shows?

Thanks!

If you get the AMHR journal or the AMHA book, look in there for some good photos of neatly put together horses and exhibitors. I realize that most are professional photos and taken at the bigger shows, but it will give you a good idea. Just be sure you don't get in a hurry and skip the small things. Be sure the head is clean and the nostrils have been wiped out. Try to keep the forelock neat--either with clipping or a little dab of gel (don't need to be soaking--like for a ladies hairdo) Be sure to have a nice smooth coat--if not clipped, it needs to be clean and neat. Make sure the mane lays all to one side. Either trim the stray hairs that stick up or use gel--again, does not need to be soaking if you like it dry--just use enough or use hair spray to keep stray hairs down. Make sure the tail is neat and clean. You can also use gel or hairspray to keep the top of the tail neat. Look at it as you are walking to the ring and notice if there are any shavings and such in the tail because tails just seem to attract that junk. Be sure the legs and hooves are clean. Make the hooves as smooth as you can. A polish can only be as good as the preparation. Think about your fingernails. You would not polish over dirt ect. The color you choose really depends on your preference. Make sure your show halter is clean. Also, make sure you are as neat as possible. What you wear is not nearly as important as your overall appearance. Keep it simple in most cases. You want the judge to see your horse and not be distracted by your outfit. I like dark slacks with nice dark shoes or boots. I can't wear boots very well so I make sure to have a pair of neat black shoes--usually athletic shoes--but always all black and always as clean as I can get them. For the top, a nice shirt can do well for a hot day. Rule book says it must have a sleeve, but does not say it has to be long. I personally prefer long sleeve unless you are planning to wear a jacket. Make sure the jacket fits fairly well and that the shirt or camisole you wear under it looks good with it. Try to keep your hair neat and not have long hair cover the back number. A hat is a matter of preference but it needs to compliment the whole look and not look like an afterthought.

As for how to make them stand in the show ring, Practice, practice, practice. Do not think you can do it once or twice correctly at home and it will work in the ring. The horse needs to know you will be consistent and that takes repetition. I don't lean down to move legs. I will move one step back or forward in an attempt to straighten back legs. If that doesn't work, I will put pressure on the side to get them to move the leg I want moved. This takes practice also. I will then use my thumb and pointer finger and put them about the spot they get measured and press slightly to let them know to stand and move the front feet one at a time with my foot until they are standing where I want them. I then get in front of them and do my darndest to get their attention and ears. there are nearly as many ideas for getting ears as there are exhibitors so you really just need to try different things and see what works for you.

Once you have your horse standing the way you want him for a while, you need to increase the time so that he will stand in one place for at least ten minutes. Most classes last longer than that, but once he knows you want him to stay until you move him, he will probably stand as long as needed. Finally, after he knows to stand, it is handy to have another person--preferably someone he doesn't know well--to walk around him at different distances and directions. He should not move during this time. A judge will often get close and it is really annoying to have him move just as the judge is looking at him because he got spooked.

I hope this helps you some.

I didn't see the part about jumping classes. Since it is usually warm during the jumping and hunter classes, many ladies will wear neat slacks and some sort of running type shoe. Most will wear a nice neat blouse or shirt of some sort and many are short sleeve but not sleeveless. It is also good to have plenty of support for your breasts as it is not appealing to see them bounce all around. I know this sounds funny to some, but I have seen some that looked really bad and believe me, I would rather suggest here that you try to confine them than have people around the ring laughing at you behind your back because you did not think of it.

Thank you very much for the info!

I am coming from QH where the rules re attire are very stringent (footwear - boots with a heel, shirts/jackets - long sleeves only, hats/helmets must be worn, etc.), so I wanted to make sure I am properly attired when I start showing next year.

Looking "put together" does not have to cost loads of money, but it is a whole lot more important than people realize.

Latest posts

Back