The secret now known as Spanky, new pics pg 2

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Can't stop now (formerly Dragons Wish Farm)
Reaction score
Here he is, Running Springs Little Tree. He comes home this weekend and I'll have better pictures the early part of next week. I WAS going to wait 'til next week to share the secret, but since RYAN and REIGNMAKER were sorta picking at me.......LOL

He's a five year old, a little disrespectful of personal space but willing to listen. Decent ground manners and a VERY nice way of going on the lunge.

He favors my very first horse, a Tennessee Walker/Arabian red-head who was marked similarly. I hope we develop that same bond with Little Tree. Oh, and I can't see his call name staying Little Tree. I've also tossed aside the Spanish translation "Arbolito." So we'll see what he tells me.

00d0d_73o7tsEwlMr_600x450.jpg

P.S....He's registered AMHA/AMHR just need to bring him permanent. Since we're facing a deadline, he gets a 90 day reprieve on the "snip, snip" visit.

Last edited by a moderator:
default_thumbup.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Congratulations!!! I look forward to more pictures of him. He looks very nice, love sorrel/flaxen horses (well... love horses lol) Thanks for sharing your secret --- FINALLY lol

Awww! Congrats! He's super cute, can't wait to see more pictures. Isn't it awesome when you find another horse that looks like your very first horse? I'm still searching...
default_whistling.gif
Wonder what name he'll pick. Keep us posted!

Beautiful little guy! Congratulations! Yes, please post many more pictures when you bring him home!

Looking forward to seeing him in person one of these days... So that you know, I will be picking up panels next week for chicken coops(s). Will I need to pick up extras?

Do you like this brown eye with sclera?

IMG_20140616_214400_647.jpg

Or this splash one with blue??

IMG_20140616_214426_933.jpg

Or my cute kissy nose???!!

IMG_20140616_214402_855.jpg

He is sooooooo sweet!!! I think I love him a whole bunch already! He wants to run ahead, but does seem willing to learn. He LIKES praise and moves away from pressure fairly well. Even with the distractions of a new home, in the dark and with an unknown handler I saw good things in him. I can't wait to get him settled and start working with him!!

So here he is, in all his bright red and blond glory....

IMG_20140617_120230_349.jpg

A little on the thin side, supposed to be any easy keeper though so he'll gain quickly after I tweak his diet.

IMG_20140617_120305_706.jpg

In this one, you can see how he has an eye on me even at this distance. Not very nice manners at feeding time. He's a quick study though, because it only took a minute to catch him this afternoon versus 10 minutes this morning.

IMG_20140617_193809_721.jpg

Today I'll pry the halter off and he'll have to learn that being caught means good things. He will try to buffalo you if he can. Example--when I went to look at him, had no trouble picking up all four hooves. Yesterday, he thought he'd try and nip. Found out right quick it was a BAAAD idea!! LOL

Thank you Ryan. I do hope we'll be together many years. I'm planning to geld aroun;d the end of August. We should be headed into cooler weather by then. He'll also be solid to handle for aftercare. If the background looks familiar in some of the shots, it's because I'm boarding out at lppaintedponys (Paula's) place. Don't be surprised when you see his 32.5" sell dragging around shrubs in a couple of months!! LOL

Sooooo, as of today Little Tree has a new call/barn name.

In honor of the Little Rascals and the fact he looks like he's wearing spats, I've named him Spanky. He likes it too!!

;

I'm loving this little guy more every time I work with him. His personality is as bright as his copper chestnut coat. He's a very quick study. He already knows "Not for you" means quit looking at the girls. He has a short attention span but does look back at me quickly when I ask him to. He's honest and tries his best to do as I ask, he's still learning my language as I'm learning his.

I'm learning he believes in fairness. If I ask him to keep trying someting and I'm inconsistent in my cues, he lets me know by escalating his misbehavior and hardening his eye. I must remember to keep his lessons a little shorter until we get our basics down. We'll end up going faster in the long run once he begins to enjoy learning.

If you look closely at my new profile picture, you can see how he sticks the corner of his bottom lip out when he's thinking. Once he accepts, he pokes his top lip out, like they do when scratching each other, and that bottom lip wiggles back and forth!!

Dang, he's cute and I love him! God gave him to me at just the right time to support my spiritual health. You can find THOSE details in the "Too much drama" thread on the back porch.

To finish for today, a big "Thank you!!" goes to Paula (lppaintedpony) for boarding us. Without her the story would be very very different and sad now.

Well...tried to load a video of the Red Photo Bomber!! Hope it takes..

It didn't. I'll just have to take MORE pictures and post them instead *sigh*

Photo Bomber on the way in

IMG_20140625_091110_744.jpg

Pacing and burning off calories

IMG_20140625_091130_194.jpg

Spooky night time eye!!

IMG_20140628_205833_737.jpg

More later!

Back