The saving of 3 precious lives tonight...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniHoofBeats

Reaction score
I need everyones prayers and thoughts tonight please...there are three precious kittens barely hanging onto their lives here tonight...

the story...

I was out at the ranch to do my chores and work my horses, it was about 6:30pm and it has been nothing but raining all day today from the moment I woke up, through to now, and still it was raining...I walked past the hay pile to see a few bright kitten eyes peering down at me, I smiled, and then I saw them...three heavily soaked, cold, and very frigid bodies laying on one of the hay bales...they were hunched in a U position telling me that somehow momma seeked out each kitten and carried them back to safety. I feared it was too late, running up to the first lifeless, orange, body, I almost started to cry. I gave the body a little shove, oh my god...it was cold as ice...it couldn't be alive. I looked up at another lifeless body, white with grey points, and looked over to the third lifeless body, grey tabby with white paws...each one of these kittens I just saw the other day romping all over the hay pile, they had each successfully just found out how to climb out of the tall bucket we put them in so they wouldn't wander away from momma too early. Oh god this was sad...I picked up the orange tabby and rolled it over...what....!!! The mouth moved! No sound came out but a very cold, very painful movement of an arm followed!!! Oh my gosh this kitten was alive!!! I started rubbing it's body for friction and turned my attention on the grey tabby, I rolled it over...stiff as a board...but there again, the mouth opened!!! Oh my god they were both still alive!!! I quickly moved to the little white body, all three looked like they came from the bottom of a pond just soaked...I rolled the body over...yep, this one too was still alive, but all three could barely move a limb they were so frozen...so cold...I couldn't bare to think of the pain!!

I quickly ran inside to tell my step mom and dad who were happily watching American Idol and I asked them "do you know about the three kittens?"..."what three kittens?"..."The three kittens on the hay pile that are frozen, they're dying!"...."nope."....."Well come on we have to do something, do you have any towels? I need to get them warm, they still have a chance!!"...."Steff...it's a barn...kittens die..."....I couldn't believe my ears...I decided to grab a towel and run outside and I was going to put them in my car and blast the heat for however long it took! I ran outside and wrapped all three kittens in a towel, they were so stiff....so cold...oh my gosh I don't think they're going to make it...are they still alive? A mouth opens....yes! I started rubbing friction on all three kittens and haw-ing heat on them. A few minutes later, out comes my step mom and dad...they felt guilty after seeing me almost pouring tears over these half-dead kittens and decided to come help. We each took a kitten and wrapped it in a towel and headed for the water room...there was a heater fan in there and luckily, a hair dryer! I sat down with my kitten...the grey tabby...and we all worked for a good half hour drying the kittens and trying to get them warm. One by one they each started responding, but no open eyes, and no energy....very little hope...we brought them inside and placed them on a heating pad under some towels. I decided to bring them home.

So now they're sitting on a heating pad, I managed to get the little grey and white kitten to eat some food, that one has perked up the most! But all three are still so tired they couldn't stay awake if you tried to keep them awake. I am very concerned, the little orange tabby passed solid stool which was great, but then a half hour later it passed bloody stool...very bloody...I am scared they were so cold their insides may be screwed up...

Please everyone, send a prayer? I am so worried they may not make it overnight...

5-9-06kittens.jpg

p.s. if they do make it, I would love to see these three kittens go to a loving home! I don't think I could handle seeing them back outside in the barn...we almost lost them once....

Thank you everyone.

Ohh well done findng them and bringing them in! Youve got my prayers, hope all turns out well for you. Keep us updated.

Helen

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh they are so adorable. Thank goodness you found them, and the love you showed
default_wub.png
: I am praying that they make it for you, they are so cute. Please keep us posted

Prayers for your little guys to make it thru the night. You did a good job taking care of them. No matter what the outcome you tried your best and I commend you for that.

Prayers for your little guys to make it thru the night. You did a good job taking care of them. No matter what the outcome you tried your best and I commend you for that.

Ditto to that. Let's hope they make it. But if they don't, know you did your best.

MA

If you have pancake syrup, or honey, give them some, will give them energy.

Thinking of you and the kittens.
default_wub.png
:

Thank you everyone!! It is now midnight...the grey tabby is wide awake and eating like a monster! The white kitten ate a little and went back to sleep...the orange one woke up and meowed really loudly a few times, i'm not sure if he's in pain or really scared.....i'm so worried he isn't going to make it...the grey tabby and white siamese point will make it for sure now I know but the orange one....*sigh* I am not used to seeing this everyday, it's hard on me!

Ok I offered pancake syrup to everyone and the white kitten and the grey tabby licked it up like no tomorrow but the orange kitten just wants to sleep...all three finally came out from under the blankets so the orange kitten was walking around, i'm not sure if it ate butI doubt it...the poor thing...I think it's stomach is messed up....I don't know, I just hope it makes it! The other two are doing great...amazingly....if you would have seen these kittens when I found them this is just unbelievable to see them alive...

:aktion033: glad to hear the kittens are getting better

Sounds like you found them just in time! I hope they all continue to improve. I'm praying hard for the orange one(I love big orange cats
default_smile.png
).

Just was wondering how the little kitties are doing today?

MA

Miniv - thank you very much for asking =)

I was up all night caring for the kittens, the little orange one cried and cried until about 3am or so and I checked on them one last time around 4am and everyone was passed out sleeping together. The grey tabby and the white kitten mowed down their food but the orange one still hasn't eaten (I know because they nose dive and step all over the food and the orange one has a clean face). I brought them into work with me today, they're all sleeping right now...the little grey tabby is SUCH a people kitty! Loves to be on you or in your lap or curled up sleeping under your chin...what an adorable little guy, he deserves a good home =) My sister managed to get the orange kitten to eat a few small bites of food (she works here too - family business) so I am happy to see that and someone left another healthy, solid poop so I think everyone will be ok! The only downside is all three have eye problems, crusty, oozy, inflamed. We have ointment for them but my parents have it and they wont be into work for another hour or so, so i've been washing their eyes with kleenex and water to keep them from getting crusted closed again. Poor babies...what a hard night...the white and orange one are coughing once in a while, the orange one has a stuffy nose and coughs the most...we think they were stuck in a ravine or a ditch that filled with water (it rained a LOT yesterday) and they just weren't able to get out until momma found them...they were so soaked and cold to the bone...it's a miracle that they made it =)

Glad to hear they are coming around -- please continue to post their progress - and hurray for you!

JJay

Hello,

I am sending the kitties some reiki think you will see them get a little stronger now, AND THANK YOU FOR BEING THE KIND OF PERSON WHO WOULD DO THIS MUCH WORK AND CARE SO MUCH FOR THOSE PRECIOUS LIVES.

HUGS TO YOU AND YOUR PEOPLE,

BONNIE

I am so glad you found the kittens when you did. PLEASE know you are doing everything you possible could do for them. I am praying they make it thru this. I just hate it when people say"oh --just barn cats" --darn it--they have just as much of a right to live and be cared for too. Corinne

So glad to hear they are doing better.

I'm no vet, but I would be concerned that they may get an infection from the water in the lungs and/or pneumonia?

I'm lucky here in that we have an inexpensive vet for small animals, often they don't charge very much (cost) if the animal doesn't make it and it's one you found (a stray) and/or an animal that might not get good vet care o/wise.

The eye discharge usually goes hand in hand w/a type of infection kitties get that usually includes their lungs. There's one that they get that they also have small sores on their tongues, can't remember the name, but our vet gave us meds for it, they were very affordable even for several kittens.

I hope they continue to improve!

Liz

Thank you everyone and Thank you Bonnie for your help =) The kittens are sleeping most of the day away but every once in a while one of them wakes up for a few minutes and wants to be held before falling asleep in my lap and being put back in their little area for another well deserved nap =)

Everyone's getting their eyes treated 3 times a day, today being day one and they've had 2 treatments so far...it turns my stomach to see the puss coming out of their eyes but it warms my heart to know we have the right ointment to fix their poor eyes! The orange and white kittens only have 1 effected eye each but the grey kitten, poor thing has both eyes and can barely see...if the eyes crust over the poor thing is blind until I get to him with a wet tissue!

I think the orange kitten may have a great home to go to when he is all well, now I just need to find homes for these other two little darlings =) i'm growing quite fond of the grey one...lol! But I can't bring in any more cats...wish I could!

Thank you so much for the updates. I was wondering how they were doing, and I am so happy that they are doing better. I love kitties, but have too many already
default_rolleyes.gif
: and I'm a long way from you. I hope you find them good homes and I commend you for everything you've done for them :aktion033:

I just wanted to let everyone know the kittens are still doing Okay, but not out of the waters yet...still treating their eyes, the grey one who had both eyes crusted shut half the time is much better today, he can open little slits to see through and is just the most loving little thing ever =) Already heard him purring this morning! The little white one is very calm, very laid back, and oh so cute! Such a sweet personality coming from that kitten. The orange one was raising heck last night romping all over the couch yet this morning he is very tired looking. I gave them a stuffed animal last night and they all passed out with it and stayed sleeping all night! So I don't know how the orange one can be tired but I understand they've been through so much these past two days...it hit me real hard last night when 6:30pm rolled around and I realized it had been just 24 hours since I found them cold, frozen, and barely alive...brought a smile to my face to see them dry, warm, and recooperating =)

whoops I forgot to add they're now eating hard cat food again and with a little help will drink some water! Their noses are all snotted over so I have to wipe their noses often and sometimes they can't tell where the water is and they dunk their whole nose in the water and end up going into a sneezing fit...poor babies!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back