The saga of my little hero.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
I have Midas, a yearling colt that I bought last year as a weanling. He has some conformation issues, and I had him gelded early this spring. I have learned a lot from him. He was my first mini, and also my first baby (I have always had big horses, and they were always 3 or older when I got them) We have frustrated each other, made mistakes, and accomplished goals together.

Before Midas I did barrel racing, and 2 summers ago I had a shoulder injury and broke a rib. While my doctor was on leave, the doctor I was seeing told me that I would be fine to go back to barrel racing. Well, I was supposed to not ride for 6 months origionally, I ended up not barrel racing for 4 weeks, and when I started again, my injury wasn't healed. I actually did some extra damage to the injury, and It's never been right since. Im allowed to ride now, but my doctor wants me to stay off of the barrels because he says it throws me around too much, and I strain my shoulder.

Well, My big mare has a home for life, shes a senior, and worth her weight in gold. I still ride her around home, and trail ride her, but lease her out for show seasons. This is where the thoughts of Midas came in. I knew I couldnt be without a horse to show. It gives me a sense of accomplishment, and since it was my last year of 4H, I really wanted to make it to our State Championship. Not knowing much about conformation at the time, I fell in love with Midas, and took a 4 hour drive to see him. About 2 weeks later, which was a week before Christmas, I went to pic up my new guy. Over the winter and in early spring, I worked with him doing everything I knew how, and in late spring I sent him off to a trainer because I just couldn't figure out a feed program that was working. While he was at the trainer 5 hours away, I flew out to see him over memorial day weekend, because I missed the little begger, and my trainer wanted to teach me how to work with him. While there I fell even more in love with my trainers horses, wishing that I could someday have something that nice.

Midas and I did well showing in 4H, took a blue in everything we did, although it was only 4H, and not a breed show, it still gave me a sense of accomplishment. I must be doing something right, because I know my horse dosen't have perfect conformation. We got a blue at our district show, and qualified for the State Show in Harrisburg. About 2 weeks before the show I realized that Midas wasnt looking in tip top shape, and we had to change a few things around. I spent hours everyday at the barn with my mother, preparing Midas. When I got to States with him, I was a bit nervous. There were quite a few nice minis there, from recognized farms in the area, and most of them were A sized. Someone actually had the nerve to approach me and tell me not to be upset if I didn't place, because they only ever place the A sized minis there, and the minis aren't shown in a height division. Now, I kinda figured I wasn't walking away with anything. My family and friends told me I was nuts, but my nerves weren't going to let go of that comment some rude person made go. Later into the weekend I found out that the person who told me that had a daughter competing in my class, with an A sized mini. Great I thought... The day before my show, my wonderful trainer came out to give me a hand with all of the last minute things, such as Midas facial, a good bath, helped me on my show presence a bit, and got Midas tucked into his jammies. Just her being there calmed be down quite a bit. I slept like a baby the night before, I was actually talking in my sleep. I must have been nervous, because I was saying that the judge was going to disqualify me because I had a rash on my wrist and I didnt have a doctors excuse (Talk about my nerves making me crazy, even in my sleep)

Show morning came, and my trainer got stuck in traffic. Of course, I panicked. After Midas was fed and everything, I got his jammies off, brushed him up, sprayed his tail, and did everything I knew I could do myself. Still, my trainer was stuck in traffic. My nerves were so shot that I decided I would just take Midas for a walk around the inside of our barn complex, maybe it would help my nerves. We did that for maybe 20 minutes, and then I decided that I should work with him a little on standing still while set up. He did it like a charm, so we only did it once. Right then I saw my trainer walking into the doors. Let me tell you, I was releived. We got Midas feet painted (we sanded them the night before) got all of his prep done, sprayed him a little with body shine, got is gel on his forlock and mane, and packed our ringside bucket. Attached his conchos on his halter, and as I was puttinghis show halter on, they called Miniature Horse Yearling Geldings to the holding area. Here we go I thought. I was excited, I was nervous, and I was scared. The class before us was huge, it was the Quarter Horses. We stood in that holding area for probably about 45 minutes to an hour. It was cement, so atleast there wasn't dirt getting on Midas. My mom stood with my trainer and I for a while, then went to get a seat so that she could take some pictures. Midas started dancing around a little bit, and I figured he was picking up on my nerves, and with all of the other horses, that he was getting nervous too. All of the sudden I heard a guy yell "last call for Miniature Yearling Geldings". Apperantly, where I was (literally maybe 15 feet from the gate) you couldn't hear the announcer. I know a few of the weanlings and yearling stud colts missed they're class, because I was watching for them to go in so that I would have an idea of when my class would be. A quick "chin up and good luck, you can do this" from my trainer and off I slipped through the gate. Wow, this arena seemed a LOT bigger this day. I had practiced with Midas in it a few times, but now it seemed HUGE. I needed to concentrate. Smile on, head up, and off to the judge I went. Midas was in full show horse mode. He walked up to her with his ears pricked forward like he KNEW he was gold. Eye contact with the judge, smile, and a quick good morning, then "click click" and off we went. An awesome trot is something that my conformationally challenged, b sized mini has (remember, B sized minis are too big to place at states, because they only place A sized at States, according to that rude woman earlier in the weekend)

Into the line up we went. We were the last ones in, because I almost missed my gate call. Midas set up, and as the judge started her sinpection, he started dancing. GREAT, all of that work and practice, and he ISN'T going to stand I thought. What do I do? The only thing I know to do at this point. SMILE and pretend that this isn't happening. Give him a second, and set him back up. Again, he danced. I was able to set him up enough for the judge to inspect him. I was sure we blew it, the other horses were standing fairly well. I mean, I saw some of them dancing, but in my nervous state, mine was the worst. Oh well, smile big, so mom can atleast get some good pictures. Now it was time to announce the placings. Well, wouldn't you know it, as soon as the announcer comes on, Midas decided that there was no way he could hold it ANY longer, and decides that he has to pee RIGHT NOW. (Well, that solved why he wouldnt stand, my little guy wont pee anywhere expect his stall, which he hadnt seen in, oh, probably over an hour, poor little guy, I thought he was misbehaving, when he was just dancing trying to hold it)

"Your first place winner and 2007 State Champion is number 199, Megan______ and BEALS BARNYARD MIDAS TOUCH" I grinned ear to ear, because I DID NOT expect this, Midas is still peeing, and all I hear is my family, friends, everyone from my barn, and my trainer yelling. Someone in the bleachers said "Look, that girl dosent know her number, shes still standing there" My mom turned arund and said, no, look at her face, she knows. Well, it set in, and off we pranced to the lady with our nice big blue ribbon and plaque. I don't know how he knew it, but Midas KNEW he was the Champ. I've never seen my boy prance like that. We got out of the exit gate, and a little girl gave me the dirtiest look i've ever received. She was the daughter of the woman who told me that they dont place B sized minis at states. Hmm, looks like she was wrong this year. Oh crap, I thought now. Where the heck am I going? Where is my family going to go to look for me? Well, They must have run, because they were out of the bleechers, around the complex, and down that hallway in record time. The first one to make it there was my trainer, who greeted me with a big hug, and I good pat on the back for Midas. "See, I told you" she said. Next was my mom and step dad, my big horse trainer, and our fan club from my barn. Everyone said they wanted me to win more than I wanted myself to. I'm fairly modest, and I honestly didnt expect to win. I could have placed last and still would have been proud of Midas. I know my horse isn't perfect, and is by no means a real halter horse, but we do our best which was good enough that day. Off to the pictues we went. They won't be in until december, but from the preview I saw, they are both very nice. Remember that plaque I got? Well, it has a picture frame on it for your win picture.

Uh Oh, mom spyed out the area that they had set up to take your own pictures. Great I thought, more pictures. Finally, we were done and could go back to our stall and get into something a little more comfortable. Midas got to roll a bit, he deserved a good old dirt treatment since he was so clean all weekend. He even got a big flake of hay, and a peppermint. Now, I havent ate all day, If I do I get sick before I show, so breakfast wasn't an option.

by now it was probably 12:00 or 1:00. We decide that we've had enough turkey sandwiches all weekend, and it was time for some real food. Great, but we don't know the area. My trainer asked a security guard where the closest nice sit down restaraunt is, and off we go to Cracker Barrel. Chicken and rice hit the spot after a weekend of turkey sandwiches, let me tell you.

After lunch my trainer and I walked around the vendor area a little, just spending some time together before she headed home. When It was time for her to go, it was defiantly a sad time for both of us, we both shed some tears. She told me to keep in touch, and of course I will. Now I'm in the process of getting her thank you and christmas gifts together, because I want to get her something really special, for all she has done for me.

So, thankyou to Midas
default_wub.png
, for putting up with all of the crap I have put you through, and all of my fumbling when I didnt know any better, to my Mother, who has always helped me with Midas, even though she is scared to death of horses, my big horse trainer, who although dosent know about Minis, will do anything she could for me, including driving me 4 hours to bring midas home, 5 hours to get him to him trainer, and 4 hours to get him to states and back, and finally, thank you to EILEEN BRACCIO of my Dream Farm for being the kindest person I have probbaly ever met.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are an amazing example of what it's really all about.

Your ambition, your gracefulness, your attitude and sportsmanship towards your wonderful trainer, your supportive mother, and your loving horse.

It's people like you that can restore my ideals of what horse shows are for.

Thank you so much for your story.

I really needed that today.

Best wishes always.

I second Marty! Congratulations, and you did GREAT.
default_aktion033.gif
default_yes.gif
People like that mom you ran into are such sad little individuals. I mean really, resorting to mind games on a youth competitor??
default_wacko.png
Grow up, lady! I feel sorry for her daughter for not having a better example to follow.

You, on the other hand, are a treasure. Congratulations and I want to see some of your pictures!

Leia

The quality isnt great, my mom didnt realize her lens was so dusty. Bear with me until the professional pictures arrive, which is supposed to be around december...

286494936.jpg

His fronts are out further than I would have liked, but he was holding still. The horses in the background are from a different class, they had 2 classes in the arena at a time.

286494941.jpg

Again, not a great pose, but holding still

286494931.jpg

I just decided to set him up in the place where he decided to stand still

286494945.jpg

trying to get him back into like straight

286494922.jpg

Entering the arena

286494925.jpg

Remember when I said he had to pee? Well, as if that wsnt bad enough, im sure when they announced first, everyone was glad to look and see this....

286203723.jpg

I cant get a picture without his blue eye glowing

Ditto what Marty said!
default_aktion033.gif
What a wonderful story, I truly enjoyed it. You should send this in to one of the horse magazines. You are a shining example in an often dark world. Give that Midas an extra smooch from Wyoming.
default_wub.png

Oh I'm in total tears! I don't know you or your horse but you told a wonderful story and I am so proud of you both!
default_aktion033.gif

What a GREAT smiler of a story! Thank you!
default_aktion033.gif

MA

default_aktion033.gif
Congratulations, what a great story, you are a shining example of what horse shows should be about.Well done young lady and give Midas a hug from me.

Yvonne

With your positive attitude, it doesn't surprise me you and Midas took it all!!!! One can hear the special bond you have through your story. Put tears in my eyes. Congrats
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Thank you for sharing your lovely, inspiring story!!

I applaud you and Midas for sticking with it, and not letting others nasty comments get to you, good for you!!

I am so happy you both won, that is just totally awesome!

Again, great story, and give that little guy a hug, ok?

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

That is SO awesome! Congrats on all the work and the commitment that you have shown! This really is one reason minis is so amazing.

Thank you for such a beautiful story. I admire you for your efforts & positive attitude. I know the right horse won & you did a fantastic job. Wish you the best in future shows. Know what a wonderful job you & your horse did, no matter what anyone else commented on. You are wonderful.

I echo everyone's comments. YOU are the future of the Miniature Horse World!! Congrats
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

default_aktion033.gif
To you for your hard work and wonderful positive, shining attitude!!! Congratulations to you and Midas!!!
default_aktion033.gif

Thank you for sharing your story, it was so very inspiring. It made me smile and get a little choked up at the same time:) You and Midas are a perfect match for one another
default_wink.png
Keep up the great work and set your goals high
default_biggrin.png
You will be sure to succeed in future shows .

Latest posts

Back