The Ring Test

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROSEMILL FARM

Reaction score
:DOH! Good Morning!!! I have read a coulple of time it's a colt/filly the ring test worked

What is the ring test??? and how do you do it??

Thanks,

Sarah
default_smile.png

You tie a ring (we use a nail, so 'nail test') to a string.. Hold the string above the mare's hips, if it circles then it's a filly, if it swings back/forth or side/side it's a colt.. We do it every year just for fun and so far on the 9 foals we've foaled out it's been right on.. We did it again this year, just waiting on the girls to pop! lol

Basically, I take my gold wedding band and tie a thin string to it (usually off a feed bag). Then, I hold the ring above the mare's hips (it's important to do this in non-windy conditions). If the mare is pregnant, it should either swing back and forth (pendalum) or swing in a circle. If she's not pregnant, it should stay still. I've heard different meanings for the different motions, but.....every time I've done it so far it's swung back and forth and I've gotten fillies. I even test it over geldings and stallions and it doesn't move for me; only on bred mares!

Over Christmas I did it on my cousin and it swung in a circle, so we'll see if she has a colt!
default_wink.png

Sorry, but one of you said back and for for colts and the other said back and forth for fillies. Which is it?
default_wacko.png

I've always remembered/known it as this:

CIRCLES= filly (O for ovaries
default_wink.png
)

BACK/FORTH= colt

And by the way, that app in your avatar is B-E-A-UTIFUL!!!!!!!! Got any more pics???

I'm with Lucky-C Valshingle, what a LOVELY horse!!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_drool5.gif
default_wub.png
Who IS that masked (blanketed) stallion?! Welcome to the forum, by the way.
default_saludando.gif

Leia

That's our stallion, Thousand Oaks Yashicas Monet (Monet for short). I do have more photos and when my daughter comes home from school, I'll have her show me how to post them! lol They have to be posted on a website first, right?

I've always remembered/known it as this:

CIRCLES= filly (O for ovaries
default_wink.png
)

BACK/FORTH= colt

And by the way, that app in your avatar is B-E-A-UTIFUL!!!!!!!! Got any more pics???

Sorry, but one of you said back and for for colts and the other said back and forth for fillies. Which is it?
default_wacko.png
That's the problem with it! Everyone says differently. So far, out of 4 "tests" and 3 foals on the ground it's been 100% back and forth with fillies. I have one more mare to foal so we'll see if it's true again. To get really deep on the topic, I wonder if the electrical activity of the foal is determined by the mare/stallion cross. Which would explain why each farm has a different signal for fillies and colts. It's for kicks and giggles anyway.

You hold the string and the ring/nail in the air above the hip.

After a couple years of being nearly completely wrong on my ring tests ... I'm pretty sure it works opposite for me as well! Back & forth = girl and circle = boy.

Not that it matters, but it is fun!

I did it on my mares this year and it showed 2 bred. One colt one filly but the one that was colt (back and forth) has foaled already and it is a filly. I'm kinda hoping the other isn't wrong tho, I'd really like a filly from her. Oh well at least she really is expecting and a nice healthy colt will suit me fine.

Latest posts

Back