Quantcast

The Ring Test

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

ROSEMILL FARM

Reaction score
:DOH! Good Morning!!! I have read a coulple of time it's a colt/filly the ring test worked

What is the ring test??? and how do you do it??

Thanks,

Sarah

Lucky-C-Acres-Minis

Reaction score
You tie a ring (we use a nail, so 'nail test') to a string.. Hold the string above the mare's hips, if it circles then it's a filly, if it swings back/forth or side/side it's a colt.. We do it every year just for fun and so far on the 9 foals we've foaled out it's been right on.. We did it again this year, just waiting on the girls to pop! lol

txminipinto

Reaction score
Basically, I take my gold wedding band and tie a thin string to it (usually off a feed bag). Then, I hold the ring above the mare's hips (it's important to do this in non-windy conditions). If the mare is pregnant, it should either swing back and forth (pendalum) or swing in a circle. If she's not pregnant, it should stay still. I've heard different meanings for the different motions, but.....every time I've done it so far it's swung back and forth and I've gotten fillies. I even test it over geldings and stallions and it doesn't move for me; only on bred mares!

Over Christmas I did it on my cousin and it swung in a circle, so we'll see if she has a colt!

Lucky-C-Acres-Minis

Reaction score
I've always remembered/known it as this:

CIRCLES= filly (O for ovaries
)

BACK/FORTH= colt

And by the way, that app in your avatar is B-E-A-UTIFUL!!!!!!!! Got any more pics???

hobbyhorse23

Reaction score
I'm with Lucky-C Valshingle, what a LOVELY horse!!
Who IS that masked (blanketed) stallion?! Welcome to the forum, by the way.

Leia

valshingle

Reaction score
That's our stallion, Thousand Oaks Yashicas Monet (Monet for short). I do have more photos and when my daughter comes home from school, I'll have her show me how to post them! lol They have to be posted on a website first, right?

I've always remembered/known it as this:

CIRCLES= filly (O for ovaries
)

BACK/FORTH= colt

And by the way, that app in your avatar is B-E-A-UTIFUL!!!!!!!! Got any more pics???

txminipinto

Reaction score
Sorry, but one of you said back and for for colts and the other said back and forth for fillies. Which is it?
That's the problem with it! Everyone says differently. So far, out of 4 "tests" and 3 foals on the ground it's been 100% back and forth with fillies. I have one more mare to foal so we'll see if it's true again. To get really deep on the topic, I wonder if the electrical activity of the foal is determined by the mare/stallion cross. Which would explain why each farm has a different signal for fillies and colts. It's for kicks and giggles anyway.

You hold the string and the ring/nail in the air above the hip.

Kendra

Reaction score
After a couple years of being nearly completely wrong on my ring tests ... I'm pretty sure it works opposite for me as well! Back & forth = girl and circle = boy.

Not that it matters, but it is fun!

Reignmaker Miniatures

Reaction score
I did it on my mares this year and it showed 2 bred. One colt one filly but the one that was colt (back and forth) has foaled already and it is a filly. I'm kinda hoping the other isn't wrong tho, I'd really like a filly from her. Oh well at least she really is expecting and a nice healthy colt will suit me fine.