The one most important thing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreaminmini

Reaction score
Since there are so many new owners, myself included, I thought I would ask this question.

What is your one most favourite thing that you wouldn't do without in your tack box/barn/grooming kit?

I asked as I have been working on completing my mini (but huge
default_biggrin.png
) new owner wanna buy everything shopping list. What are the gotta haves (besides the terribly obvious and basic)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Banamine! I have used it quite often for many different reasons. A lot of times the vet will even advise giving while waiting for him to get here.

A decent hoof pick.

Children's Benedryl-only I buy the generic brand

Neosporin

Antifugal creme-also the generic

Sorry more than one thing, but these are all always in my feed romm handy to get to.

A "Mini-weight" leadrope in a longer length. As I'm tall, I like an 8-10' leadrope; but the 1/2" ones for minis seem to be mostly only 5-6' long (which is way too short).

Thanks, keep 'em coming!
default_biggrin.png
My list I'm sure will get a lot longer.

No probs if more than one thing, the more the merrier!
default_yes.gif

92 lead ropes as I always seem to break/lose them!!!

Vitamin C - handy for colic

GUMBOOTS for me
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

A good hoof pick, one I like for the minis is the blue Oster one with the fat handle. It is pointier to get in the little hooves tight spots, a slicker pin brush, halters of all sizes, some adjustable for the perfect fit, coat conditioner, spray on coat cleaner, hoof moisterizer, a good thrush brush on liquid just in case to catch it early. Lots of lead ropes of various lengths, I make my own, pick out my own clasps, nylon rope, rope clasps to finish the rope off at the clasp. Then lightly burn the very ends of the rope to finish of the cut ends.that will keep you busy! Oh yeah a good mane and tail comb. Hoof dressing for shine.

Ariat clogs -- easy to step into and go do horse stuff!

I also love my Oster brush sets. I keep two of them in the barns and one in the show trailer. They are nice brushes and feel good in your hands.

The grooming box can't-do-without.....the new (not sure how long it's been on the market, but I only 'discovered' it this spring) Show Sheen moisturizer gel. It's not a silicone coating like ordinary show sheen--this gel (more like a thick liquid) is more like a moisturizing oil--it's amazing for taking tangles out of manes and tails. and it's great for adding a show ring shine...it shines the mane/tail and puts a real nice sparkle on the body when wiped onto the coat.

I am a rope halter collector for my biggies and mini's, LOL. I love them. Also I have ALOT of clipper blades, you never know when one is gonna go dull so I always have extras ready!!
default_wacko.png

The horse of course!!!
default_biggrin.png
- Sorry I could not resist! Something that is very handy is a five gallon bucket or a milk crate to keep all of the bathing items in ONE location. I am one for organization - everything needs a place & like items together.

The horse of course!!!
default_biggrin.png
- Sorry I could not resist! Something that is very handy is a five gallon bucket or a milk crate to keep all of the bathing items in ONE location. I am one for organization - everything needs a place & like items together.
I do the same thing
default_biggrin.png

A twitch (i keep a clamp/twitch in the barn and with my clippers and in the trailer), you never know when you might have to twitch them
default_yes.gif

paper towels and lots of them! I put it on a bungee and you can hang the anywhere

wpspellwood, I love the bungee idea. In addition to paper towels I keep baby wipes handy at all times. Lots of great ideas posted so far.
default_yes.gif

Toilet paper
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

I really need a bathroom in the barn!
Wouldn't that be nice..."What to get the mini owner that has everything!"
default_biggrin.png
default_yes.gif

These are great ideas guys!
default_aktion033.gif
Definitely very helpful....problem... my list is getting taller than me! :DOH!
default_biggrin.png

I'll have to check out the Oster grooming brushes and the Show Sheen moisturizing gel.

I'm a lead rope junkie too...working in a tack store there is no shortage of them.
default_rolleyes.gif

Round pen - I was so sick of lunging!

Sanitary hand wipes - To wipe up my hands and clean up my mess mares.

Candy canes - For treats, I buy them all after Christmas when they are really cheap.

I put it on a bungee and you can hang the anywhere
I always like to come and read these threads, I learn something new all the time. We keep bungees and use them for everything, but never thought for that idea. Thanks!

Bungees are definitely a "Must Have". I have them on all of our gates in addition to the regular closing mechanisms to make sure everyone is safely kept in side. I take them to shows with me too. I always find them handy for something. Along with scissors and electrical tape. Oh, and a hole punch. That was something I did not have and you don't realize how badly you need it until you don't have it.

Oh.......my double K clippers, looovvee them. And our stool with wheels that we use to clip. Buckets with lids to store stuff (suppliments,etc) in and take to shows. Our mats we leave on the trailer and only use at shows, real light weight and easy to manuver! My hay bag (went without one forever, thought I didn't need one!) :DOH!

Latest posts

Back