The mystery of Elvis the lost stallion solved

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrystalPaths

Reaction score
Nathan called me today to tell me he found out who owned Elvis. Good news.

They don't want him...weren't looking for him....didn't care. Bad news.

Good news..Nathan would like to sell him to a new good home. He paid for the reg. papers...not sure what they are til I get them. I know there is a WCMHA and Pinto Horse Assoc. He's not to sure. Trying to contact the orig. owner.

He is 9 yrs old and according to the local owner mean as heck. He's not. He's just so shy. He was bought for a little girl for a riding horse. Can you imagine? He was bad and tossed her so they beat him up. I'd be shy now too.

Nathan has scratched him abit but still can't halter him. He's still full of burdocks but looks much better than he did. Eating well, lots of fresh water. He's lucky Nathan found him.

I hope to have much more info on him and will post more then. He's sound and healthy as so pretty. I will post him for sale after we make sure the breeder doesn't want him back.

Thanks all for caring about this fella. I'll try to get some updated pics this week if the storm doesn't hit too hard.

Looks like things are looking up for Elvis. You are doing a very good thing.

I just can't understand people. I have a mare here, absolutely Georgeous, silver & white. I had to buy her from a family that bought her for their kidsto ride. B Mare appx 36". They couldn't ride her so for four years kept her in a tiny pen. Six by six and would go out every day and tease her and poke her. Just made her life misarable. When she sees children now, she starts shaking. People Grrr

Ginny

Thanks Ginny. He's such a muffin. Just found out he was reg w. the R. Prev owner(/Breeder?) was Donna Russell, trying to find an e-mail addy for her. I figure to be fair we should offer him to her first.

His name is: Russell Farms Apache Tecumseh 64262T

I figure he's at least 35-36" and that pretty black pinto. Cleaned up and loved I figure he could be something special. I really hope someone will want him if Donna doesn't.

If anyone knows Donna Russell in Conn. please either give me her e-mail addy or give her mine [email protected]

Seems to me more than chance that he made his way to you indirectly to find a new life.

This is just one more reason I am committed to selling geldings only unless by special treaty and a binding contract.

Liz M.

Thanx for the update on Elvis! Looking forward to new pics!

OMG! How heartbreaking that this little guy went through this. Yes, offering him back to his previous owner is a good thing to do.

Have you called the AMHR registery and asked them if they know how to contact the previous owner and/or breeder about this horse and the horse's story? It would make an interesting article after it is all worked out as well.

Thanks so much for giving him a decent chance at happiness.
cheekkiss.gif

Thanks for posting the pics of this handsome fella in burdocks no less.. on the mini forum... sure wish I have the room for him (don't have my own place yet)

Hope he gets a great home.

JJay

Well, Nila, sometimes the best of intentions don't always work out. I did speak with the breeder and Elvis was sent to "a sale" with 20 other horses when she was having $ trouble. Now she is in sorta same trouble now without going into details in public but sure she'll take him back. Problem is I think she may sell him in another sale. So Nathan must decide to "keep him" get his papers in order...then sell him. I'm "trying" to get him to underestand the imprtance if doing this correctly to protect all involved. Hopefully, even though she is still listed as his owner/breeder she has no claim to him and we can get him transfered then sold to someone who is up to challenge and sees the potential in this fella. I'd geld him if he were mine. But I can't afford him or anything much now.

Dimimore said:
Well, Nila, sometimes the best of intentions don't always work out. I did speak with the breeder and Elvis was sent to "a sale" with 20 other horses when she was having $ trouble. Now she is in sorta same trouble now without going into details in public but sure she'll take him back. Problem is I think she may sell him in another sale. So Nathan must decide to "keep him" get his papers in order...then sell him. I'm "trying" to get him to underestand the imprtance if doing this correctly to protect all involved. Hopefully, even though she is still listed as his owner/breeder she has no claim to him and we can get him transfered then sold to someone who is up to challenge and sees the potential in this fella. I'd geld him if he were mine. But I can't afford him or anything much now.
Oh poo... That stinks.

How long has this horse been in your care???

Well, the breeder doesn't have legal title to him if he went through a sale. Now the person that claimed to own him but doesn't want him could give you a bill of sale so he is legally yours... And since that guy doesn't want him, well that makes it easier for you to get the legal title to him.

Here is what I would try to do...

Add your cost for finding the current owner (ads in paper, supplies to post lost horse that is found ect.) together along with a boarding fee of $3.00 per day which is often the rate for mare care on a mini that is being bred to an outside stallion. Make this an itemized bill that states everything and the cost of it all. That is your cost to take care of this horse period. Now the owner of the horse is of course responsible for those costs as the horse is not yours.

Approach the owner and nicely with the bill in your hand and explain that you are willing to take this horse in exchange for the cost of his care if he will sign a written receipt. Then get the current owner to write out a receipt for that stating that you are the owner of this horse and that you paid the amount on the bill for him. Also see if he will transfer the AMHR papers to you.

Now if he doesn't have the papers, once you have the receipt saying that you legally own him, then ask the breeder for her help in getting the papers and tell the breeder that without papers the horse has a greater chance of not finding a good home. What you want to do is see if you can get the breeder to file for lost papers on this horse and sign them to you. But do this only after you have a legal bill of sale.

Also, you may want to call your local humane society and see what the laws are in your area reguarding abandoned animals. They may be able to help you by telling you what you have to do to make this animal yours in cases where the owners won't cooperate.

And Lois is correct. If you can't keep him and want to donate him to CMHR, he will be gelded. I am sure that CMHR would be willing to help you with this if you can get clear title to him legally. Papers would be a plus, but may not be necessary.

This is so sad that he is not wanted by his owner. Just not right.

Wow Nila, hopefully with your ideas everything will work out where Elvis is donated to CMHR and all paperwork is handed over.

Please keep up posted on how things are going.

Latest posts

Back