The move is over

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riverdance

Reaction score
From he**!!!

2 months of packing, finding things I never knew I had, throwing things away and still packing too much. Selling off what I could. Get the movers there (gee, the representative did not tell them that I was brining down a small Gator, a tractor (small Kubota), barn fans, 5 driving carts and a Mini treadmill. The movers were not happy and let me know it. My trailer was all packed. All the breakables were in the camper part and stuff was in the horse part. 3 x 3 dog kennels stacked 2 high, 6 in all. Gates, panels etc. The movers did not leave till after 8:00 PM. and we did not leave until 11:00 after the house was cleaned up. Go 15 minutes down the road and stop at MacDolalds for some sodas and i had to get into the camper to find the directions
default_no.gif
. 15 minutes later we are back on the road went 3 miles and... my truck engine blew. Only 55,000 miles on the truck. At the same time, my trailer blew a tire. Now I had the truck serviced and the trailer serviced before I left. $12,000 for a new engine, $1600 for all new tires on the trailer (not going to take any chances) an airplane ticket to get down to Florida to meet the horse hauler and the movers and 2 weeks later, here I am....

Of course Chevy will not help me at all on the engine, even though I pulled up many articles about this truck blowing head gaskets. They acted like they would help me, made me bring the truck to a Chevy dealer for repairs (which probably cost me a couple of thousand more), then when the bill was paid, they told me they would not help. this is my second Chevy, 1st one was a gas. That one blew 2 rods and a piston at $50,000 and needed a new engine. That one also went through 3 transmissions. I WILL NEVER OWN ANOTHER CHEVY PRODUCT!! They are the nastiest bunch of people I have ever had to deal with. Plus every one of them had an Indian accent, even though they said I was talking to someone in the US.

My hauler though was THE BEST!! Zigler haulers. He took my whole heard down of 38 horses, plus gates, feeders, hay, barrels, panels, water tanks,etc. All of those were at no extra charge as i paid for the whole trailer for the trip. He has a really cool double decker for horses. They arrived on time and in really good shape and he kept me informed all they way. I would definitely use him again for anything!!!!!!!!! Besides the fact that he is a really nice guy.

While down here for the movers, they tried to change the day they were going to deliver, I said no way, as I had to fly back home. They practically dumped my stuff any which way, in all the wrong rooms, even though all the boxes said where they needed to go. Did not put the piano together (I have to hire someone to do that) and the topper...they had me drive the tractor off the truck one wheel on a ramp. When the tractor was totally on the ramp, one ramp gave way and down came tractor and me. I hit the ground so hard on my lower back, I thought I broke it. They called the ambulance (which took 30 minutes (good thing I was not having a heart attack), Eventually i was able to stand, then sit, so they left. That night I had to drive back to Jacksonville for my flight the next day. My back hurt so bad I was crying all the way. I did not make the plane flight as I could hardly walk. Xrays done, there may be a problem, so i have to go have an MRI. Flew home Monday and with help, got the dogs reloaded and on our way. Thank God I had heated seats and back, as i used it all the way down here. AC to the face, heat to the back. Back a little better, but can not really lift things.

Oh, and lets not forget the guy that I hired to take down my PVC fencing so that i could sell it. We agreed that he would get a certain amount of fencing for free and I would get the rest. He came twice, the first time he took part of the fencing down and then I did not see him again for a while, then I told him to forget it, I would find someone else. He said he would be there and take it all down in one day.. He did not and did not show up agin till the day I moved. Took down 1/2 of the fencing, broke off the cement and left it there, then took two of my gates and split. I called the police, but they said that because I had a contract with him, it would be a civil suite. Not theft. :arg!

But, I am here, love the house and the property.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a rough trip to say the least

terrible movers for sure do you have any recourse against the movers who were suppose to be responsible for loading and unloading your things including your tractor?...Which by not doing their job caused your injury?

I hope your back is better soon but glad you love your new place

That trailer that Zigler had was really cool. To say it is 2 levels does not even describe it. He would put down a ramp, load a section then lower a different ramp and load another section. It was mind boggling how much hay and equipment he could fit in there. All the horses had access to water and they could open doors to feed everyone.

Goodness, what a trip - expensive too!

So pleased to hear that at least the horses arrived safely. Really hope your back will improve very soon.
default_yes.gif

Good luck and I hope you will be very happy in your new home.

What a trip
default_rolleyes.gif
just goes to show however bad your day is going there is someone somewhere having a worse one
default_wink.png
Im sure your so glad thats all over and I do hope your happy in your new home..good luck
default_smile.png

OMG, glad you finally made it.

WHY did the movers make YOU drive the tractor off the truck? Isnt that their job? You might want to check with their insurance coverage on that in regards to paying your medical and all!! We never touched anything with hired movers- they did all the work. Seems strange they made you unload it. Did they know the ramp was not going to hold?!

Take care of yourself and I sure hope you get settled in with no further issues! That was all just crazy!

Sorry about your vehicle problems too! I got another Chevy because I loved my last one so much (that has over 270,000 miles on it and still running great- with the original tranny etc...).

Hope your back will be ok, but I would really really look into why they had you remove that tractor and the fact they may be liable.

Your moving adventure sounds like a Lifetime movie. Good grief, I feel terrible you had so many problems but the good news is that you will no longer be fighting those horrible winters.
default_aktion033.gif

WHY did the movers make YOU drive the tractor off the truck? Isnt that their job? You might want to check with their insurance coverage on that in regards to paying your medical and all!! We never touched anything with hired movers- they did all the work. Seems strange they made you unload it. Did they know the ramp was not going to hold?!
Back in MN they had me back up the tractor on the ramp, kind of scary, but did it with no problem. Then down here, the guy could not figure out how to start it, so I said i would. Heck going down face forward should have been a breeze. they just did not have the ramp set properly. Yes, they are paying my medical bills. I have an MRI appointment on tuesday as the x-rays showed something was wrong. It was really nuts what they did, and I am sure the driver is in trouble. Their insurance company is going to have a fit as any mover's insurance will not allow the client to touch anything, let alone take a tractor off the truck on two little ramps, one for each tire. The driver is saying I insisted on taking it off.
default_new_shocked.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh brother and yes, I imagine someone is in trouble! Well, I sure hope you heal quickly and there is nothing too seriously wrong!! That was certainly wrong on their part!

Now that would make a GREAT movie.

At least your horses arrived unscathed.
default_wub.png
Hope your back gets better soon.

Some people do have exciting lives.
default_poke.gif

Latest posts

Back