The more the merrier?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minihorse

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
How many mini horses do you wish to or already have and are they beneficial to each other?

I have 3. They say mini horses are like potato chips, you can never have just 1. The more the merrier!! I think about getting a 4th, but 3 is just soooooo easy!! Mine are all very active, going on hikes, walks, drives, skating, errands… they are always taking me somewhere. They don't sit still and I worry if I get a 4th how much busier I would be carting another one around 🤣 Also, all 3 of mine get along really good…. I really don’t want to disturb the peace. Breezy & Stormy are absolute best buds and tiny Thunder is the most dominant. So for me, right now, 3 is a real good number!! 💕

I have one and it's SO easy. Especially compared to a big horse! He piles all his poop in a couple of spots (neither of which is inside his shed) and never walks in it. He's just really easy to take care of and doesn't seem to mind being by himself (if anything, I have a suspicion that he really enjoys having his own "castle") - he shares two fencelines with other horses so he's not totally alone. But...I am interested to see everyone's responses. I do consider getting a second one but then I worry that two isn't a good number and I think three would be as much work and as big of a hay bill as one big horse and I'm not really up for that right now!

Started with one that was dumped on me by a neighbor. Saw he needed a friend as my bigger horse was mean to him. So went looking for a mare hoping to get him gelded quickly. I ended up with three mares! I fell in love with one, but she was elderly and they would only give her to me if I bought a different one. But they were all friends so I took all three home. Needless to say, the vet wouldn't come out to geld during the beginning of COVID. They were separate from the male but one day he got loose and found his way in. Had one baby and now two more on the way! I love each of them and they all have their own personalities. It's way more than I planned but the best and I wouldn't trade it for the world! Before I go to work, I go out and get my kisses. No better way to start the day!

I have 3. I can take them out individually to be walked, worked or driven with no problems and three is manageable for me to keep up with.

Abby- I think it's fine to have only one that is sharing a fence with another horse or horses, they can be quite content that way. They have company but don't have to share food, time or attention. And less work for you.
Rocko is low man here so he gets pushed around a little. I don't think he'd mind sharing a fence line!

Thanks Willow, I definitely feel like being in a boarding situation makes it a lot easier to have just one. And he really is SO easy for me. Right now, that's what I need, my barn time is the only thing I have right now that's just mine! Also every time I clean the paddock I still kind of chuckle to myself. The 17h warmblood next door poops in one go about what Rowan poops in an entire day! I'm Very Glad I don't have to feed that horse. :)

Hey Abby, I think in your situation you’d be fine getting another since they would still share a fence line with the other horses. When I take all 3 littles for a walk, my biggie is fine because he has a biggie next door to keep him company while we are gone.
And….
If you go pound by pound, horses weight and weight of hay, you could have over 7 minis which would equal one biggie! My biggie weighs 1150 pounds divide by my 150 pound mini so if I’m calculating correctly, I could have 7.5 minis for the same hay bill as my biggie 🤪 WOW! I definitely see more littles in my future 🥳

And….
If you go pound by pound, horses weight and weight of hay, you could have over 7 minis which would equal one biggie! My biggie weighs 1150 pounds divide by my 150 pound mini so if I’m calculating correctly, I could have 7.5 minis for the same hay bill as my biggie 🤪 WOW! I definitely see more littles in my future 🥳
I have larger minis, so it's more like 3 to 1, as most of mine are B-size and weigh in the 350-375# range. I only have one that's under 200#.

Like Abby, I have one that is on turnout with limited grass access and shares a fence line with an Arabian and a Thoroughbred. I plan on teaching him to drive, but I do think it would be nice to have a second that is cart-ready. Our boarding facility just got Winston a goat for company, but I’m not so sure he likes it. Lol. That’s him wayyyyyy in the background.

Attachments

• A81539A2-423A-4297-B98C-E449DD3A785C.jpeg
    A81539A2-423A-4297-B98C-E449DD3A785C.jpeg
    566 KB · Views: 4
turnout with limited grass access

Yes, this is another huge factor for me as well. Rowan has a paddock that is about a half acre and I had to make him a track to cut down how much grass he can get. That's one thing a second one would help with - keeping the grass dead in the track! I think I would need more than two to keep the entire half acre grass-free though. :)

I have two which is so great and works mostly. I do agree to have a third would be good to keep the two left in the paddock company while walking the third. I am slowly training for the separation but sometimes I think it's more jealousy than anxiety because the one I'm walking is totally fine ☺️

I have two which is so great and works mostly. I do agree to have a third would be good to keep the two left in the paddock company while walking the third. I am slowly training for the separation but sometimes I think it's more jealousy than anxiety because the one I'm walking is totally fine ☺
Yes, I think that too. The one left behind: What, you guys went off together without me?? How rude!

Latest posts

Back