The mini who thinks she is an alpaca

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jandy

Reaction score
Hi, I am still a newbie to the mini horse world - and loving it. My husband brought me a mini for Christmas as a "stress relief" from a busy job. It works wonders, just hanging out in the paddock is an awesome way to unwind. Not wanting the mini to be lonely while we are working we decided on 2 minis, and chose to buy a pregnant mare
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
cant wait for the little one to arrive in September - wonder if I am allowed maternity leave from work ??

I am a firm believer of animal ownership by mutual respect (natural horsemanship) rather than domination over an animal. It is paying off dividends with Crystal, she is so eager to please "just because we are friends". Although now I have to share my new best friend. We have 5 Alpacas and up until a few weeks ago Crystal and the "boys" were in seperate paddocks.... then, feeling sorry for her being alone we let her in with the Alpacas. They found her to be rather a "strange"creature, all that running for no reason! strange noises when Mum comes by! but she loves them to bits and now the feeling is mutual. One of our boys in particular and Crystal are best mates. I am sure Crystal thinks she is just one of the gang and has forgotten she is a horse!

Awwwww! I would never have thought of mixing them, as I know nothing about alpacas other than I love my alpaca sweater! Super soft and warm.

They obviously are very comfortable together. Do you raise your alpacas for their wool?

Hmmmmm.........anyone ever use mini pony hair for weaving/knitting, etc?

I never have, but when I was in Colorado one of the other boarders, did spin horse and dog hair and then turn the yarn into knit products.

My mum use to spin, before her stroke, and has spun dog - never horse!

We just have our "boys" as pets.

Not a strong market for alpaca fibre in New Zealand, and as we only have pet boys I dont want to compete with the farms who are in business, so on shearing day we either just give it away or it goes with the reject stuff for use in housing insulation. I don't know too many around here who spin, so its a bit sad really as 2 of our boys have lovely fibre

Your mom must be a talented woman to be have spun dog hair! I can't imagine how labor intensive the whole process probably is - along with the boarder that chandab mentions! Working, attending to your horse(s), chores and then throwing in some spinning and weaving on top of all of that.

I would think the finished product from dogs, or what have you, to be very soft and sought after!

Interesting and amazing what folks can do!

Latest posts

Back