The mini stud I posted for Critique

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VernB

Reaction score
Here are some more pics of my little stallion. I just started giving him extra nutrition and exercise. and just in a couple days I have noticed a difference. I haven't groomed him up special yet, I want to wait and see what he looks like in a few weeks, as he still has a little bit if a potbelly and needs more muscle. I did get a halter and thinned his forelock I could only find an 11yo. to take pics and she didn't get him all the way in the one picture. When I bought him I was told that they only fed him Grass hay. I started him on grain and he must have thought I was feeding him rocks, He wouldn't even touch them It took me a good 2 weeks to get him to realize it was food. He still chooses his hay before his grain.Does he look any better???? first phot is before. the others are now.
photo647847274.jpg

photo862050598.jpg

photo2026713438.jpg

I am in no way a professional, but I can tell you he does look better already. Keep up the good work. He looks much happier & healthier. I really like the last picture.

The basic conformation, however is exactly the same. He looks happier and well loved, but, No, I'm sorry Vern, I do not consider him stallion quality.
smile.gif

he is GORGEOUS, in the last pic he almost looks like a full size horse!

I LOVE palomino pinto's!

-Gage-

[SIZE=14pt]He certainly looks MUCH better. You are doing great keep up the good work. He will thank you.Still not sure that he is stallion stuff but show gelding maybe .[/SIZE]

Lyn

He looks MUCH better and looks like such a sweet boy. I think he could make a very nice show gelding next year! How does he move? He looks like he's built to boogie.

I think he's show gelding material, not stallion material- but that doesn't mean he's not a nice horse! It takes a DANG nice horse to be a competitive Senior Gelding these days in AMHA. Having a stallion who is truly competitive as a stallion is a whole different level of quality.

The only thing I'd add is that the angles on his hooves are VERY steep and it looks like he's standing on his tippy toes. Is the farrier working on changing those?

I'm a sucker for a pretty FACE! That second shot is wonderful.

He looks MUCH better, a little more food and more muscle and you will have great "before" and "after" pictures.

He is looking wonderful, you have done a great job with him. As for a breeding stallion, may or may not be my cup of tea, but I can honestly say I have seen a whole lot worse looking horses still breeding mares. Doesn't make it right but its still happening. No matter what you decide to do with him, I know he will be happy and well loved with you.

WOW, what a difference. Whatever you are doing keep doing it. Bravo to you
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
I would have agreed when you first put up his first pic only that he was not stallion material at all BUT having seen the second pic you posted here he could have his "place".... I think some of the words by some are quite harsh considering the difference now and I agree with the other poster, I have seen MUCH worse on this board being used for studs. Now having said that if you are wanting to breed the next world champion then no I wouldn't use him as stud but many of us on this board don't have studs the quality of some that are very much into showing at the National level. If that is your main focus then geld him. Don't forget I have seen some awesome stallions who cannot sire better then themselves so "pretty is" doesn't always equate to "pretty does"

Last edited by a moderator:
aktion033.gif
WOW, your TLC really shows! He's coming along nicely for you! Good job!
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]He looks LOADS better!! I think if he does well in the ring he could be a good stud!! (untrained eye!). Good job!!I hope you will show us the pics when he is all oiled up!![/SIZE]

You are doing a super job with him and he looks very good. He may not be the type that some breeders would want to use for breeding but he sure looks from the second pictures to have a beautiful eye, nice head and balance is pretty nice. Everyone doesn't like the same type of mini so you have to consider that when getting critiques. I too will say that he is better than some I have seen that are being used by some well known breeders. Mary

VernB said:
Here are some more pics of my little stallion. I just started giving him extra nutrition and exercise. and just in a couple days I have noticed a difference. I haven't groomed him up special yet, I want to wait and see what he looks like in a few weeks, as he still has a little bit if a potbelly and needs more muscle. I did get a halter and thinned his forelock I could only find an 11yo. to take pics and she didn't get him all the way in the one picture. When I bought him I was told that they only fed him Grass hay. I started him on grain and he must have thought I was feeding him rocks, He wouldn't even touch them It took me a good 2 weeks to get him to realize it was food. He still chooses his hay before his grain.Does he look any better???? first phot is before. the others are now.       
photo647847274.jpg
photo862050598.jpg

photo2026713438.jpg

450447[/snapback]

You are doing a great job with him and he looks soooo much better! KUDOS! jennifer
saludando.gif

Wow I REALLY like him, Vern!

In my opinion he is stallion quality. But then I have often been known to go against the flow. :)

I have my own goals in my breeding program and breed for horses that "I" like!

If others like them too and if judges like them, that is all great, but breeding for what one likes themself, is most important I believe in a successful breeding program.

Susan O.

Latest posts

Back