The Military has now arrived in New Orleans, etc.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baptism

Reaction score
The finger pointing is beginning on the failures but I feel there is no one person or agency to blame. It is a string of failures by everyone, including those needing rescue.

Everyone knew the levies would be tested with a catagory 4 Hurricane. An evacuation was ordered. Those who chose not to leave were told to have at least 5 days worth of water and food. They were also told to keep axes, pick axes, etc. handy in case they had to break through a roof.

The airlines could have had flights out on Sunday, the weather was good enough. They didn't.

It was the end of the month so the working poor did not have money left from the pay period for a $40 tank of gas.

Local governments could not communicate with anyone higher or lower to get out the need for help. No one thought it would ever be as bad as it was. The federal government will not just go into a state without being asked.

There was only one radio frequency for rescue and police to use so communication was very difficult. One third of the New Orleans police force deserted.

The national guard should have been put on stand-by.

The national guard, churches, and other local agencies should have had transport and a plan for the handicapped.

Well, the list could go on. I just hope people realize all this instead of just saying it is because there were so many black people, that's why nothing was done. Sorry to vent but I am dreading the political finger pointing that will begin and those making outrageous claims just to get their names and faces on TV.

This is a thoughtful and informative post, Baptism, and there is a great deal of truth there.

I agree about those making political hay out of this (I have always liked Jesse Jackson, but it was EXTREMELY inappropriate for him to go in with a film crew yet have nothing to offer people...he did offer to bring in buses himself, but I don't know that these ever materialized. I saw clips of those stuck at the bridge berating him for not really doing anything, and I wonder if he has not destroyed his reputation entirely.)

However, it is hard to argue that if the people left behind (and I'm not talking about those who truly had a choice) had more clout, things would have been different. And we should not forget that not everyone trapped is black...poverty is an equal opportunity problem.

Our society does tend to devalue the poor, as is evidenced by those who say that they were stupid or that it was their fault that they did not leave, or those who equate all of the victims with the minority that have been looting and sniping at aid workers.

And we must not forget those who stayed behind with family members who could not leave due to health problems, or the brave medical and emergency workers who did not desert, but risked their lives to help others.

Such a tragedy brings up many, many questions; poverty and race are only two of these points to ponder. We have to consider all sides in order to improve future prevention and response.

So very many people just do not realize the the municipal government is the first responder and its up to them to ask for assistance. I listened to the mayor yelling this and that when his failure was the most critical. Helicopters cannot fly in winds over fourty miles an hour. Had the government had ten thousand troops in the city when it happened they would have been just ten thousand more people needing rescue. If the news networks actually did somthing to help rather than try to establish blame and make the administration look bad. There were so many CNN trucks and people running around they could have been helping people rather than just taking pictures of them.

I think everyone needs to take a course in the role of journalism and our government (although I realize you are Canadian, geese)

First of all, do not confuse those bobble head idiots on Fox and most broadcast news for journalists -- take a listen to Edward R. Murrough doing one of his famous radio broadcasts from London during WWII -- THAT is journalism.

The role of the Fifth Estate is to report as objectively as possible (I do not believe that true objectivity is attainable). It is so critical to ALL of our freedoms that it is considered on the level of the primary branches of government and judiciary.

Their role is not to play cheerleader or to get in there and help, although I'm sure many, many reporters do exactly that. Their role is to see that we get as much information as possible, independent of what the government wants us to hear.

With all the pseudo-journalism out there (like Fox), the very concept of journalism has become confused in our country. Consider the state of journalism in Russia and China and you get an idea of how important it is to have a free and independent media.

BTW, the word "media" is not singular, but plural. It is a collective of many entities, many biases, many different approaches. It is impossible for "the media" to be any one thing.

Ready for the flames...

Susanne YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

Only even slight 'fault' and its not really that, but the ones that chose to stay were not prepared. And I do mean that chose to stay, meaning they could have left but just didnt. I do think that there is a huge difference between the looters ( who were looting before Kat was over, almost like the stayed just so they could loot) and those that werent. While I do feel sorry for those that chose to stay behind, they decided not to take matters into their own hands but , again, chose to let someone else and they now have no room to complain if they dont have the neccessities. Imagine how far easier the task of rescuing those that need it if those that chose to stay had left?

susanne said:
This is a thoughtful  and informative post, Baptism, and there is a great deal of truth there.
I

However, it is hard to argue that if the people left behind (and I'm not talking about those who truly had a choice) had more clout, things would have been different. And we should not forget that not everyone trapped is black...poverty is an equal opportunity problem.

Such a tragedy brings up many, many questions; poverty and race are only two of these points to ponder. We have to consider all sides in order to improve future prevention and response.

461027[/snapback]

It is hard to see what is really happening all the way around on all sides and feeling helpess watching doesnt make it any easier.

I will say blaming victims is not ok in my book period be it this , domestic abuse or whatever but that is a whole other story
wacko.gif

Bottom line is I totally agree with suzanne and if this happened in Malibu or Santa Barbara CA (Cities i am using simply cause my parents live there) the end result wold be very very different of that I am sure.

I think the word choice is being thrown around alot here many people saying it from the comfort and safety of there own homes, with a roof over there head, food for there families , and not needing a boat to get down the street. It is easy to sit from there and say what you would and wouldnt do and what your choice would be however .. in the middle of a situation you just never know what your choice will truly be and again.. sometimes there really isnt a choice

I was listening to the news one day early on and they announced that they had located Fats Domino and he had been rescued. They were so elated, saying that he was such a big part of New Orleans. I was shocked that they could orchestrate a rescue for someone famous and leave so many poor behind. The same thing happened at the Ritz Carlton. There were a group of people stranded there and an armed convoy came in and got them out. Pretty sad statement.

There are a couple of groups of people here in my town in CA going down to Houston in the next couple of days. Everybody has gone to Costco and spent a few hundred dollars

on diapers, soap, shampoo and etc. and we have all taken the supplies to a central place for loading onto the trucks. It has gotten so big that more trucks are being donated daily.Monetary donations have been coming in from all over the world to these people and they are using the money to buy toys and clothes to deliver to Houston.

Its not enough- but it will help.

It doesn't matter who chose to stay or leave, it is what has happened. We can only go on what is now and not why it is now. You have to stay focused on the problem situation and figure out logically the best solution to save the people who are alive.

I will say that I had not heard or seen the story that CNN ran about the dog on the roof until I read it here yesterday. I did not see (CNN) where the dog was ripped from the little boys arms so he could get on the bus as I don't watch CNN. All I ever hear about CNN is negativity so why would I waste my time watching news so negative. You hear negative you become negative.

I did see last night on FOX where they put 2 little dogs with their owners on a military type vehicle which made me feel so much better. I can't even describe the feeling I had inside as I saw the guy on the vehicle reach down and pick the little dog up out of the girls arms. It gave me such a good feeling out of so much horror going on around them. Thank you FOX for giving me hope that some animals are being saved.

I do believe the President should have over-ruled the mayor and governor and jumped in there earlier, but the President didn't know the full magnitude of the destruction until he went down there. Still that's no excuse for him to wait 5 days, then on the day he shows up here comes the military. Looks good for TV and newspapers. It's sad our country has gotten so political that our politicans (I'm talking all levels) would risks peoples lives just to win an election.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know what?

I don't really give a dang about who's to blame and for what and what politician is slamming the next. Too much chatter. Talk is cheap and they all should get the heck off of TV and roll up their sleeves and start up a blasted bus and DRIVE the dang thing already.

It is NOT OK for people to be getting raped and murdered in the Dome and forced to lay next to dead bodies and have their children starve and die in their arms.

All I care about is getting the people the he77 out of there by anyone by any means availalble which is the only thing that matters at the moment in my book.

POLITICS BE DANGED and they all need to just SHUT UP and GET TO WORK!

I was glad to hear this evening (don't know which news organization it was) that there were about 500 rescued dogs that had been taken to shelters in Houston.

Something else that just occurred to me....I'm sure it isn't easy for the rescue people to leave the animals behind either. I'm sure some of them must be animal lovers too.

I agree with Marty. It's time to quit back stabbing and trying to win votes and start doing.

Another thought on the evacuation debate....sometimes it isn't possible to get out. Have any of you ever seen pictures of the Interstate parking lots. For several days meteriologists were referring to this as a "minimal hurricane". I expect by the time a lot of people realized how bad it had become it was already too late to go. I for one would rather be at home than stuck out on the road somewhere when it struck.

Today brought a lot of wonderful change for the people in New Orleans. Hopefully tomorrow will see the rest of the survivors rescued and evacuated.

I DITTO Marty's post.......

Forget all the blaming and Hindsight! Now let us ALL get to work!

Don't know about you, but my first donation was to Lone Star. I plan on sending a donation to Chances Rescue AND to the Red Cross. I know it won't be a huge amount, but every little bit helps, right?

Next, Larry and I plan on digging into our dressers and closets and pulling out clothes - including Brianna's and sending them to the Salvation Army. I'm going to raid Jessica's children's clothes too!

There are thousands of families with kids who made it out of there with only what they could carry. Food and water are now being provided -- now they need CLOTHES.

Instead of talking, I want to take some ACTION.

MA

This is what I HATE. Everyone pointing and blaming and inciting and turning a disaster to their own personal good. A BBC reporter cornered a Sergeant and asked him why he had not got there earlier- poor guy should just have said "Because I am a soldier and I follow orders and i had not orders to come sooner" Instead he tried to think of reasonable answers but there were none- as the reporter pointed out he had been there fro FIVE days!!! None of the foreign news crews had thought to take supplies or aid because hey, this is the USA, help will be here within minutes, right?? Being the BBC you will be glad to know the reporter backed off politely and left the soldier to get on with his job!! Someone fouled up badly BUT at the moment, who cares who??? Let's just all pull together in spite of differences, and get the people out- there are STILL people in apartments un rescued. Of course they have to prioritise, BUT the buses that turned up to the Dome - they were a bus short!!! They cannot make those sort of mistakes, and, if some of the people buzzing around interfering, were helping instead, perhaps they wouldn't.

I know for a fact military was there. My son was one of them. He is still there! He also just returned from Afganny.

The things they are seeing is unbelievable and un bearable for many of them.

2 Policemen has ended their life due to these circum.

I don't know who is the blame but they need to now make plans fopr the future storms. as we have a few more now.

Would a, should a, could a, doesn't help now.

Joyce

Back