The Merlin Hoof Trimmer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maplegum

Reaction score
My poor OH has quite bad tennis elbow and certain activities such as trimming the little horses hoofs really adds pain to his day.

He is always looking for easier ways to do things. He has always said that there must be a better, easier way to trim hoofs and had heard of using an angle grinder. We tried that but the size of the grinder against Bailey and Willow's hoofs made it a difficult task.

We did some searching and discovered this tool. The Merlin Hoof Trimmer. It can be used on cattle too and possibly other animals.

The minute we received the tool, my hubby said that he was already happy with the way it felt in his hands.

We tried it out yesterday and hubby is thrilled with the ease of use. The tool looks aggressive and I guess in the wrong hands it could be.

Take a look at the video and see how 'terrified' Bailey and Willow were. LOL

And yes for those of you that noticed, they are both suffering from white line/hoof separation and it is about to be treated by professionals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neat tool. does look a little dangerous. My Farrier uses the dremel tool, a lot smaller than your hoof trimmer.

Hope your husband is more comfy with new hoof tool.
biggrin.gif

Hi rcfarm... can you tell me what attachment your farrier uses for the dremmel?. I have one of those for my dogs nails, never thought to use it on the horses. The other tool looks cool, but I know my two boys would need some training for that sound. I am interested in a dremmel chat if anybody has experience using that. Not happy with my current farrier, thinking of trying my own hand at keeping things in order.

thanks

I've used the grinding wheel on my Double K's for shaping, but this looks much better for trimming! My farrier doesn't take enough off. Does this also seal off any bleeders?

I looked up the trimmer and it looks like a tiny chain saw. I think I would be affraid to use one myself. But then I am a chicken. LOL

Shorthorsemom , I will ask my farrier, not sure what attachment he uses. I will call him and ask.

Now that is a cool lil tool! But I could see in the wrong hands it could be bad and I could also see where some horses may not like the sound. Thanks for sharing this info.
default_smile.png

little lady said:
Now that is a cool lil tool! But I could see in the wrong hands it could be bad and I could also see where some horses may not like the sound.
My colt has a thing for power tools- he actually came running this morning at the sound of a pressure washer!
default_rolleyes.gif

Leia

Latest posts

Back