The judge told me I'm out of luck oh nuts!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
Remember the problem I am having with the new neighbor's three doggies coming over here? I have made a dozen pleas with these people to keep their dogs on their own property to no avail before one of them gets killed one way or the other. (Not by me of course, I will not kill thier dogs).

Well they finally crossed the line. They made the big mistake of coming into my quarter horse's Sonny's field to chase him. Drove him into a gate., busting my gate and had him cornered until he tore it clean off. Sonny turned around and arose to the occassion however and made short work of two of them, and the third took off like a shot out of a cannon but was caught and "done in" pretty much by my dogs yet again. Sonny is in board fence out front. He's the only one that doesn't have field fencing and that's how they got in. That ticked me off because if it had been raining or muddy Sonny could have easily slipped and hurt himself out there. So now I am going to have to go to the expense of having to back up my board fencing with field fence, like I don't have enough expense already trying to finish the new barn. I did run a hot wire along the bottom but they ran through it and broke it.

I just hate to see any animal get hurt like this. It's really upsetting because I don't want my horse hurt but I certainly don't like to see a dog fight either.

This is a peaceful but eventful place to live and we have never had any trouble here with anyone, other than the occasional drunken lost hillbilly or loose mule or well, we did have a killer hog on the loose one time that I swear tried to kill me, and of course there'e the White Thing over thar too, and we certainly don't stir up trouble......Matter of fact, the community has asked Jerry to be their spokesman for the little mountain council up here, which was regarded as an honor for us.

Anyhow, I finally had it and filed a complaint against them. I had pictures of the dogs on our property at different times, in Sonny's field, in my front and back yards.....8 pictures in all. I even took one of the owner's standing on their property watching as their dogs dig up my front planter.

The judge said he was very sorry but they are not breaking any laws since we don't have any in place to address dogs roaming at large and there is no leash law. He said that people have tried to get an ordinace in this county for years and it never gets voted in because then that would mean we would have to have a shelter and extra employees which would increase taxes. He had no other choice than to throw out my case to the neighbor's delight. My case lasted less then ten minutes and I was on my way.

So here's my question:

My boys suggested I clobber the dogs with a paint ball gun. We don't have one but I am wondering if that would hurt the dogs? I hear they can be painful and again, I don't want to hurt these dogs. Like I said many times, it's not their fault. Would that scare them away?

Otherwise, guess they'll just have to wait and get initiated on Halloween up here by the rest of the community that they have ticked off for a number of other reasons. They sure have rubbed a lot of people the wrong way up here in their short time of being here so it's going to be interesting come Halloween night.

I am open to all suggestions.

(and no I can't haul them off to another county's shelter, it's not allowed and they check your driver's license for your address).

Marty, a paintball stings like the dickens but would definately give them the message, it would be an added bonus that they would go home covered in paint. My only concern would be if they ingested a lot of it by licking themselves. I would hate to see the dogs get sick when it is the owners that are stupid. They would likely come over to your place to barf anyway!! This is a very frustrating thing with no easy solution in sight!!! If only the white thing would come and scare them into moving!!!
new_shocked.gif

I've actually found the only solution is dog proof fencing. Keeps your horses in and the neighbors dogs out! It's the only thing that protects both.

Marty said:
So here's my question:

My boys suggested I clobber the dogs with a paint ball gun. We don't have one but I am wondering if that would hurt the dogs? I hear they can be painful and again, I don't want to  hurt these dogs. Like I said many times, it's not their fault. Would that scare them away? 

474651[/snapback]

And how many times did I suggest that to you?
rolleyes.gif
Yes it will scare them and no you won't hurt them. Good luck
no.gif

You know what?? I'd have reached the point where I got someone I could trust in to shoot the dogs dead, I really would. I hate the idea of hurting anything, but if you got someone you knew was a very good shot, then just went out for the day, all your problems would be over.

As long as you don't shoot them in, say, the eyes or other very sensitive parts, they'll be fine. Heck, my brother plays paintball in short sleeves, he comes home with red dots all the time.

This is going to sound really harsh........

Shooting those dogs would be doing them a favor. The owners obviously do not care one whit...and the potential damage to your horses/dog's is pretty high. What possible kind of life can these dogs have? I truly believe there are times when they would be better off dead
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif

oh and the paint used in paintball's is vegetable based so totally non toxic.

Sorry Marty, the day ant dog got into the paddock would be the day I loaded with 410s and killed them instantly. How nice do you want to be? What will it take? For Sonny to get hurt or mauled? Ask Tony, Shoot shovel and Shhhhhhh

Marty,

You went to the wrong kind of judge. Get those neighbors where it HURTS -- their pocket book. Take pictures of all the damage. Plus add the pictures you've taken of the dogs on your property (and the neighbor watching).....and file in small claims court. Oh, and have estimates of cost for the damage too.

Since there is no dog control, no animal shelter, what choice do you have?.....other than doing the SSS method.......but that won't get your fence and gate fixed.

Good luck,

MA

Becky said:
I've actually found the only solution is dog proof fencing.  Keeps your horses in and the neighbors dogs out!  It's the only thing that protects both.
474660[/snapback]

I totally agree. The only way to protect your property is with fencing. And even then you can have a problem. I could not imagine dealing with all the crap you deal with. Fence it off once and for all and be done with it. I have "no climb" all the way around my property and have never found a stray animal or person in here yet.

Get those neighbors where it HURTS -- their pocket book. Take pictures of all the damage. Plus add the pictures you've taken of the dogs on your property (and the neighbor watching).....and file in small claims court. Oh, and have estimates of cost for the damage too.
MA I couldn't agree with you more.......hit them where it hurts......NO EXCUSES as they certainly don't give a darn about you. Then fence in your property and be done with it all.

Carol

Marty,

We've been in your shoes a couple times. What those dogs are doing is "packing" and will inevitably become marauders, being that they are very much aloud to continue this progressive behavior.

What I don't recommend is using paint ball guns. Speaking from personal experience only though...in that "pre-Maine", hubby used to participate in Paint Ball Tournaments held annually here in Florida (Ocala). Till one of his team mates was killed from the impact of one. He was hit in the neck, and it burst a blood vessel and killed him. If humanely taking care of your problem is of concern, and thankfully I believe that it is, I do not recommend the torture of paint ball guns. Especially, if you aren't experienced to know what specific pounds of pressure to pump into before firing one. You could cause much painful suffering before potential death.

You do however, still have options. We ourselves have had to resort to the "S-S-S" method. When a neighbor's "pack" of monster mutts attacked one of our TB mares, and she tried to jump the gate to escape them as they ripped her back legs. Needless to say, she didn't make it all the way over, and lost her foal. We nearly lost her. Those dogs however, never made it out of her pasture after that.

A much less violent measure though, still not completely "fire proof" from their entry to your property, is to bite that bullet of expense and safely fence in however possible to keep them at bay. Your horses safety, as well as theirs, and peace of mind is well worth the investment. Hard as that is on the wallet though.

You need to make the choice, and prayerfully, before someone is gravely injured or killed (any one or more of all the animals at risk here). Or even "human", being that their behavior potentially WILL eventually progress beyond the point of no return, as far as rationalism to their actions. Sadly.

Same as if a child were continually "aloud" to attack an innocent...that child is at the greatest risk of soon, going beyond that point of no return.

Additionally, another very good option is as MA suggests, in court...a long process likely, and still leaving you open to "the possibilities" in the mean time.

I'm holding in prayers for you and all your babies up there. Hopefully you can reach a positive conclusion and soon.

Oh hhh Marty, I feel your pain! I lost dozens of chickens too neighbors dogs a few years back, county wouldnt even come out and fill a report. Did go the paintball route, but it didnt hurt them enough as they need to be fairly close. So now I use 22 rat shot and have needed to tag each dog one time and they come here no more. Even had one neighbor come over in a snit that I had 'shot' her dog, told her I had warned her and if I had wanted the dog dead, I darn sure wouldnt have used rat shot. She then told me she would shoot my horses, told her ty for the warning that I was recording btw and if my horses ever come down and chase her dogs, she could shoot them
wacko.gif
Some people are just too stupid for their own good.

Best of luck!

Put an add in the paper for them (use their real names) to contain their dogs. Catch them on your property, tie them up and call the sheriff. I do not think they (the owners) will do anything unless you REALLY push. Place a sign in your yard with an arrow towards them saying "my neighbors let their dogs chase my horses and chew on my cat." Embarriss them!

Good luck and God bless

Fran

Well the boys have really been wanting that paint ball gun........
rolleyes.gif

We are not just talking about one roll of fencing here. To do the whole thing to entirely fence us in, we are talking about tons of it. If there is one thing Jerry can't stand is to have to open a lousy gate to pull in our own driveways (we have 2 front and back) and he does not want us all fenced in like that. More work for him edging around it all and mowing etc. He says it ain't gonna happen because we've been here for ten years already without any trouble and just these people are not going to put us to any expense period. \

These dogs are not only stupid they got guts. I mean these dogs come right up my front stairs and sit on my front porch knowing that my dogs are going to take them out! Geesh! Talk about lack of parenting.

I do think that MA makes complete sense to hit them in the pocketbook where it's going to hurt. We're just talking about a $50 gate that Jerry fixed in 30 mintues so there's not a lot of damage to speak of so I'll have to work on that one.

( I still can't wait for Halloween night............. If they think the White Thing upset them, they don't have a clue about my boys and their mountain friends. maybe then they'll move.........
wink.gif
)

Hi Marty,

I feel for ya. I know what it is to weigh all those pros and cons to no matter how you look at it.
wacko.gif
I'm just sorry that you have to be in that positions. {{{Hugstoyou}}}

Oh, and come this Halloween, please be careful. I just hope, for everyone's sake, that they don't come back on you and say..."Oh, so ya wanna dance, huh?"

Hugs & prayers,

Tanya

Marty,

While I admire your compassion for these dogs (you are right, it's not their fault), the day they tear up one of your horses, or cause serious injuries, you'll wish you'd have shot them (and not with a paintball gun) when you had the chance. I hate shooting dogs, but I've done it because I value MY animals' lives more than a stray's life. My animals deserve my full protection from all dangers, and they depend on me for it.

You've done what you can through the legal channels. The owner obviously is not a good neighbor. IMO, it's time for this to end before one of your beloved babies pays the price. SSS

Marty,

Make the damage in the pictures look BAD!!!! Really stretch it out! You could get a whole new fence line and several gates paid for!
laugh.gif
biggrin.gif

MA

Get the paintball gun for the boys, they will have a blast with it! If it dosent work, your boys got a great new toy, and go to plan B.....Shoot Shovel and Shut Up!!!

I understand you not wanting to hurt the dogs but this has gone on a long time, and obviously the owners do not care and are too ignorant to own dogs anyways. The dogs would be better off dead!!

And any person/animal/thing that laid their hands/paws/teeth on one of my horses would not live to tell about it!
yes.gif

Marty I know just how you feel...I have nothing against dogs, have 4 of them myself, but I keep my dogs home because I do not want them bothering anyone and I do NOT want anyone's bothering me likewise. (you keep yours home and I keep mine home you know) Well I had a problem a couple of times...I have a 22 rifle and you can buy rat shot for a 22..so I get rat shot and put in it. I watch this dog come over to take his usual dump in my flower bed, I slowly open the door and poked that rifle out it and as he walked off to leave I popped him in the butt with rat shot....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
He let out a yelp and jumped 3 foot in the air and ran so fast to get home !!! It was so funny , I laughed til I almost cried...but he never came back...worked on a couple more here too. Now if they are chasing my horses or trying to harm them in someway...I will shoot to kill..

Clara

Latest posts

Back