The Importance Of Selling To Our Youth (UPDATE bottom of Page 2)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mona

Reaction score
*NOTE* This is an old post, but with a Feb/13 update at the bottom of page 2.
default_thumbup.gif

I have heard people time and time again complain about the "kids" that contact them inquiring about Miniature horses. Even though it can be frustrating at times, when the parents aren't aware of what their children are up to, when the parents are "in the know" and support their children, wonderful things like this can happen.
wub.gif

I received this note from the mother of a little girl that bought a horse from me MANY years ago. I must say, it sure made my day and put a HUGE smile on my face! I was so thankful that she shared this with me!
default_yes.gif

The little horse (tank) shown here in this photo was the 5th horse ever born here. (It was in my 3rd year of raising minis) There was a 12 year old local girl that came out to see him with her Mom and cousins. This girl, "Camille" was scared/intimidated by big horses due to a couple of bad experiences with them, and although she loved horses, she feared them. I still remember when they were here, how her cousins were teasing her asking her how she was going to barrel race that thing! I told her not to let their comments bother her, that there was nothing wrong with having fun with Miniature Horses and it would help her to build her confidence again. As it turned out, she probably did more with her little horse than any of her cousins that were teasing her, did with their larger counterparts!

Camille was only 12 years old when she came to see Little Johnny Reb and purchase him for $500.00. She bought and paid for him herself, with babysitting money that she had earned! I was so proud of that little girl making such a commitment! She loved that little horse so much. They lived along the river and she would take him into the river swimming, her grandpa built her a "makeshift" cart for him, and she fashioned him a makeshift harness. She taught him to drive, and they "played" together a lot. She built her confidence up and ended up buying 2 year old full sized horse colt that she broke to ride totally on her own too. So Little Johnny Reb now had more time to keep Camille's younger siblings occupied carrying them around on his back and pulling them in a cart or sleigh, depending on the season.

Camille "grew up", but never forgot her sweet little horse. When she graduated, he pulled her and her date to the Prom dance. When she got married, of course, he pulled her in the wedding. When she moved out west to Alberta, she took him and the gelding that she trained, out there with her. Sadly, something happened and the back door of the trailer somehow came open and the horse was killed. She still had the little guy though.

Camille is now grown and married, with little twin boys of her own, that she now totally trusts Little Johnny Reb to take care of. I know Camille will be sure to make him just as much a part of their lives as he was in hers. This was truely a match made in heaven, and one that stood the test of time, for 2 generations and counting!
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif

camille_twins.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG Mona, that is AWESOME! I wish, WISH you would submit your post and the letter-photo to the MHW and the Juornal!!!

That's the best thing I've read in a long time! Actually made me smile through happy tears!

Thank you for sharing! Please do share with the publications!

Reb proves what minis are FOR!

Send that boy some horsie treats!
default_wub.png

That is so wonderful! What a great home for a wonderful mini! It is so rewarding to know that a horse you foaled and sold has had such a great life filled with love and attention!

Thanks for sharing this with all of us!

What a nice story, and what a sweet photo! I wish that all children-buying-horses stories went so happily!

Unfortunately, in many cases when a child gets a horse, as that child grows up, gets a boyfriend/girlfriend, graduates, goes away to college, the horse gets forgotten--the owner loses interest and the horse gets thrown to the curb. Sometimes Mom and Dad get left with the horse, a horse they have no interest in and don't know how to care for, and that horse ends of neglected, or given away to the first taker.

So, it can go either way--I'm glad it's all good for your Johnny Reb!

That is really nice. That is how I got involved. I was 14 and started to contact a farm with my parents permission. Now I am hooked on minis five years later.

What a great story, Mona! Especially how well-loved and used the little guy has remained with his owner. THAT'S what we want for all the horses!

Agree w/ REO; send it in to the MHW!!

Best wishes,

Margo

What a heartwarming story!! I agree that you should submit it to MHW!! We have such a nice group of young ladies that show with us in Pinto. It's so wonderful to see them grow and learn! They hang out with us "old ladies" and we just love them.
default_smile.png

Mona, I really appreciate you making a note of how important it is to appreciate of the youth. Im not youth anymore but I was when I first started getting into minis and I was treated so rudely by a LOT of people just because I was a youth. Yes there were a lot of times I would e-mail about a horse and sometimes would almost lead them on (never would tell them I was going to buy the horse and then not, but would be interested) and a lot of times it wouldn't work out. But I still do that as an adult and sometimes I just get gut feelings of what will work out and what wont work. One lady who is a friend now kind of told me that I shouldn't even be e-mailing about horses since I was younger, and then she kind of found out how responsible I was and we became great friends.

What a swwet little note she sent you and probbably makes it all worth it! What a great little story!

Great story Mona. You should submit that to MHW, perfect piece.

I know I get totally tickled pink when buyers (of any age), let me know the horse is doing great with them, especially when it's been a number of years.

As for the youth, I have no problem with teens calling or inquiring about Minis, but when it comes to buying, I do want to know their parents have given the go ahead.

Mona,

What an incredibly wonderful story!

I am so happy for Camille, her adorable little babies , Johnny Reb and for you
default_smile.png

Susan O.

Great story with a happy ending, makes me smile.
default_smile.png
I have no problem talking to kids about my horses and have lots of times, including one who called recently from out of state and after many many questions I got the feeling she was doing a school report. I asked and she confirmed lol - maybe she went on to buy a horse locally after doing her report. I think that's the kind of thing you have to say, what goes around comes around.
default_smile.png

Jan

I just had to add another update to this sotory. My husband saw Camille's Mom the other day, and she was telling Chris all about Camille and their huge farm they operate out in Alberta. They very successfully raise cattle as well as ranch horses, and it is a real family affair, generation after generation. I was so impressed with just how far Camille has come throughout the years, from being afraid of horses to becoming a full-fledged working cowgirl, of both cattle and horses. She now hosts her own horse clinics, and gets down and dirty right alongside the men, helping with the roping, branding, doctoring of the cattle and training of the horses, all while raising young twin sons, and molding them into little cowboys as well. I am so proud of her and all she has accomplished. She is a shining example of how these little horses can be usefull, no matter what age you are, and that they are not "throw-away ponies", once you outgrow them. Just had to share this photo of her boys and her husband, taken this past summer. I absolutely love it, and it makes me sooooo happy to have been a part of this in some small way! I find it simply amazing that one little miniature horse colt could bring a young girl to being afraid of horses to horses being her life!

chance.jpg

You can see many more awesome photos of these little cuties, as well as their entire operation on their web sites at www.twocranchhorses.com and www.twocranchography.com or join them on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/camille.reesor . I just get such a kickl out of seeing these little boys riding these horses!
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back