The Humane Society of the United States

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mona

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about this organization? I mean do you have an "first hand" knowlege of them?

A member has contacted me about setting something up on the auction to help raise money to go directly to animal relief brought on my the destruction of Katrina.

What I have in mind, is to set up an auction category to raise money for this. All donators would have to agree to pay the shipping of items won, to the seller. All money's collected would be donated to them and would be from the "Caring Friends and Members of the L'il Beginnings International Web Site", or something similar.

Any thoughts and/or ideas? God knows, they sure need our help,m and since so many of us care, yet are not close enough to offer physical support or housing relief, this would be a way we could all donate to help out.

Would love to hear from you all!
yes.gif

Mona,

My instinct is to NOT go through the national humane society. The money would get lost in the maze of red tape.

When I've donated to the humane society, I've donated directly to the local ones that really NEED it. If there's a way to find out the specific locations for the local human societies, that's the way I would go.....

MA

Miniv said:
Mona,
My instinct is to NOT go through the national humane society.  The money would get lost in the maze of red tape.

When I've donated to the humane society, I've donated directly to the local ones that really NEED it.  If there's a way to find out the specific locations for the local human societies, that's the way I would go.....

MA

458362[/snapback]

I guess the problem with that, would be that there are so many communities affected down there, that the amount we raised here, would not likely do much if split up from one place to the next?? I wonder if you can request that it go to a certain relief fund only?

From what I understand, a lot of the Humane Society's money goes to administrative costs with a small percentage to the cause. I think the SPCA is a little better on that. What we need is a contact in the area that KNOWS where best to send the money. Where to find that contact I don't know, but maybe a forum member can be of help there.

And, Mona, can't you just set up a fund (i.e., Member's Charity) where we can donate money rather than an auction. I think many would be willing just to write a check rather than auction something.

The hard thing is going to be able to get the needed help to the area. They can't even get in there to help the people...and the water is still rising. Just heard that the Corps of Engineers has so far failed to stop the break in the levees....such an awful, awful situation.

I guess you could talk directly to the national office and get a guarrantee in writing???

MA

IMO moneys given to a national organization like that is that very little of the money would end up where it would do any good. If it were me I would contact people in the area and find out from them the names of worthy local organizations who would benefit from it. In this case the area is so large it might not be feasable. The SPCA groups have not endeared themselves to me because of their policies regarding adoptions for rural people. That not withstanding there will be many animals in need of help over the next days and weeks. Whatever your decision do the research before writing the check.

My opinion for what its worth is your money would be better spent helping the city animal control or county for that matter.....they are the ones who are right in the thick of rescuing and taking in all the lost animals....I am certain they do not have the funds or ability to house and care for them all BUT they will work often with local groups who are legit and put the money into the animals NOT admin
wink.gif
wink.gif

No. they are not on the "up and up".
no.gif

Shelley

Last edited by a moderator:
I was a member for many years. It used to be called the Fund for Animals too, and was orchastrated by Cleveland Amory. The Humane Society of the United States did fund an opertation that I was a part of in Florida to stop the use of live rabbits to train greyhounds and use live rabbits on the dog tracks way back when. This was many years ago but I don't know now anything about it anymore.

I emailed a couple of friends who are more up on these animal protection organizations. Its not first hand but these friends of mine are active in animal care and have no axe to grind. They place this group among the more radiacal who would use a cause such as this to fill their coffers for other purposes. As I said do your own research before you write a check.

Thanks for the feedback! Sure wish there was a good way we could help. I suppose maybe we could all just donate to them individually some how then.

This is just a shot in the dark...but what about contacting a news media such as CNN and asking them to look into it and maybe post something or let us know how we can help?

Sterling said:
This is just a shot in the dark...but what about contacting a news media such as CNN and asking them to look into it and maybe post something or let us know how we can help?
458508[/snapback]

aktion033.gif
GREAT idea!
yes.gif

Sterling I think we were on the same track.......I was just thinking the fastest way to find who needs the most help or could be most helped by donations....well heck contact the local papers they gotta know
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

You can try UAN, United Animal Nation. They go into disasters and rescue animals and reunite them with their owners or foster them until they can be adopted. They do have some radical ideas, but they do put alot of time and effort into the rescues, and are allowed into areas that are restricted. You can go to their website for more info. http://www.uan.org/ears/volunteer.html I have donated before and it does go to the animals.

I got this in email today.

Subject: EQUINE RESCUE GROUP HELPING LOUISANA

Please pass this onto everyone! Thanks!

EQUINE RESCUE GROUP HELPING LOUISIANA’S HORSES

Habitat for Horses/Lone Start Equine Rescue is organizing a massive relief and rescue effort to help the equines of southern Louisiana after the devastation of Hurricane Katrina forced millions to evacuate. A large number of horses, mules and donkeys are now in danger of starvation, injury and death if relief efforts are not immediately taken. FEMA and the USDA are now in control of the areas most devastated by the hurricane. As quickly as they allow, our emergency relief efforts will start

Volunteers from Texas and Oklahoma will gather at a central staging area and proceed to the designated sites in Louisiana. From that point, trained rescue volunteers will proceed to any location where horses have been spotted and attempt to extricate and transport them to safety, where they will receive medical care from the Louisiana State Veterinarian Office. All efforts will be made to contact the owners. If contact cannot be made, the animals will be transported to another location for recovery.

Habitat for Horses/Lone Start Equine Rescue will operate under the guidance and control of FEMA and the USDA during this operation. This operation is an all-volunteer effort, funded by donations from individuals, companies and organizations around the United States. Individuals with equine experience may join the organization and aid in the relief efforts.

Financial donations are needed to help fund this massive undertaking. Estimates range from several hundred to several thousand horses that are currently lost, injured or in danger. Hay and feed will be needed in large quantities, plus medical supplies such as bandages and antiseptics. Trailers, temporary equine fencing, tarps, buckets new lead ropes and halters are also needed.

Donations of supplies can be made by calling Rose Westover, Emergency Evacuation Coordinator

Habitat for Horses/Lone Star Equine Rescue, Inc. at 713-467-3444 / 713-594-1177 . Her email address is [email protected]

Financial donations may be made online at either http://www.lser.org/disasterrelief.htm or

http://www.habitatforhorses.org/getinvolved/donatenow.html

Donations can be mailed to Habitat for Horses/Lone Star Equine Rescue, P.O. Box 213, Hitchcock, TX 77563

Habitat for Horses/Lone Star Equine Rescue is a 501.c.3 nonprofit covering bother Texas and Oklahoma with around 1,000 dedicated members. We provide equine rescue services to law enforcement agencies throughout the state of Texas, an active equine adoption program, an equine education center and equine-assisted services to youths and adults. For more information, contact Jerry Finch, President, HfH/LSER, 409-935-0277

I am almost positive Lone Star was the group that really helped CMHR get started so I am sure they are reputable

Mona, earlier this morning I spoke with a guy here in IL who is on the IL. Emergency Management . I asked him if he knew of any governmental organization directly responsible for assisting persons with animals/livestock. He said he didn't know of any, but would check and see what he found out. This is something that very seriously needs to be looked into, there should be an actual government type agency to assist animal owners in times of crisis.

What if you just tell them that if they want to auction their own things off and put a note on the aution stating that the proceeds would go to the their charity. I know that some other groups do that. That takes you out of the loop so to speak.

Latest posts

Back