The Heat is On!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwminis

Reaction score
[SIZE=15pt]It's been so hot here in East Tennessee, for the past week, close to 100 every day, we are pulling second shift to get our out side work done! I feed and turn out some horses before daylight! Then Wanalynn makes sure everyone has fresh water all day and checks to make sure know one is over heating! We have several big fans running 24/7 to help keep everyone cool! She takes several trips out to check on the "Brat Pack" Angel, Chubby, Patty Twink and Lil Abner, to make sure they do not overheat in this weather!![/SIZE]

Then when the sun goes down we both clean stalls and paddocks in the cool of the evening! If you can call 78 degrees for a low, cool!
laugh.gif
It's still a lot cooler than 100 degrees during the daylight hours! Anyone else having heat related problems?

Bill

We have been having very similar temperatures here in Southeastern Oklahoma. Upper 90s to low 100s and very high humidity. We have shade available for the minis, but I have seen them laying out flat in the full sun when they could have been in the shade and also seen the foals (2-4 month old) running at full speed in the heat of the day. I guess they are simply built to take it better than I am.

Today we got a little relief. A major cool front came through and the high was in the low 80s. Tomorrow is supposed to be in the mid 80s then back into upper 90s again by Friday.

It has been horrendous here in southern NJ!!! Tonight we finally got storms moving in thats suppose to put an end to this heat wave. We were up to 110 heat indexes today!!
new_shocked.gif
NASTY!!!!! I am constantly going out and topping off water to replace it with deep cold well water. The horses have lots of shade and were grazing in it, but the humidity is so high and opressive that you can barely breath a nice fresh breath. Thank goodness for the rains, it has cooled down a tad. We're suppose to be back down in the 80's starting tomorrow, with lower humidity.

Edited for spelling...my typing is not up to par tonight.
wacko.gif
saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm having the same problem here! Same weather as Freeland mentioned and the heat and humidity has just been oppressive!

With 10 horses in training and NO shade to work them in, I've been getting up really early and working them before the sun comes up. It's the only time the air is even remotely cool!

The cool front that came in yesterday has been a big relief but it's not going to last, I'm afraid!

been hot in S. Calif too. last week was 105 in the shade. Thank heavens we dont have the humidity that you do. But its a good time to work on bath time. And the boys seem to like it. I think I am going to melt though.

We are in Tucson, AZ where last week we tied the all time record for temps over 100, 39 days!!! Most of those were also over 104! Now the monsoons are here and the temps are high 90's with 80% humidity. It does not cool down at night and we are forced to clean more than 20 stalls (big horses) in the heat no matter when we do it. I water the horses twice a day, bleach the water buckets a couple times a week due to the algae growth. We have horses in training and are working our carriage business so we drive in the evenings from around 5 to 8 at night! Dusty, my dwarf, can't sweat so he has a swamp cooler in his stall that blows 24/7. My barn is basically a huge roof, 80 x 100 feet with the corrals under it so the horses have shade to stand in and usually a breeze to move the air. Several were born here, many have lived here for many years and are used to it. We just got a draft horse from back east somewhere and his coat is short but very thick! The other horses are like silk! We will have to watch him very carefully, giving him bran and beet pulp with plenty of salt and lots of water in it to keep him hydrated. He is shedding like crazy and will be getting many baths in the next few days to get all that hair out. The mini's have kiddy pools in their big corrals that they splash in all day. It keeps them out of their water buckets! I also wet them down as I water them which most of them enjoy immensely! Like people though, some just can't take the heat and we have to really watch the exercise for them.
yes.gif

Back