The Greatest Journey ever told

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniwhinny

Reaction score
There's an awesome program on this evening by Nat Geo tracing the migration of the human species from it's roots in Africa to where we are today...and how we're all 99.99% genetically identical (I know - we all know that already lol) I've been looking forward to it for quite a while now.

But it got me thinking about a study that was done on the horse a few years ago.

Just wanted to share...

As many of you know I'm a major science nut
default_biggrin.png
default_new_shocked.gif
default_rolleyes.gif
default_laugh.png

A number of years ago I was fortunate enough be asked to take part in a European Study tracing the mtDNA patterns of the domestic horse to find out once and for all scientifically how many maternal lines our modern horses descended from and when. Scientists wanted to know if the domestic horse descended from just one maternal line in just one area or more than one in various areas. The domestication of the horse is so intregal and intertwined in the migration and cultures of humans. At the time I raised a very rare American mustang horse that had been genetically isolated for the 500 years they had been here in America. Genetically they clustered in the Iberian breed group D1 so samples from my horses were requested and submitted.

mtDNA is passed in the maternal lines only. Male horses carry mtDNA of their mothers but cannot pass it on. Only the female lines can pass mtDNA.

Here's a very brief synopsis of the results from the scientists involved with the study.

The place and date of the domestication of the horse has long been a matter for debate among archaeologists. To determine whether horses were domesticated from one or several ancestral horse populations, scientists sequenced the mitochondrial D-loop for 318 horses from 25 oriental and European breeds, including American mustangs. Adding these sequences to previously published data, the total comes to 652, the largest currently available database. From these sequences, a phylogenetic network was constructed that showed that most of the 93 different mitochondrial (mt)DNA types grouped into 17 distinct phylogenetic clusters. Several of the clusters correspond to breeds and/or geographic areas, notably cluster A2, which is specific to Przewalski's horses, cluster C1, which is distinctive for northern European ponies, and cluster D1, which is well represented in Iberian and northwest African breeds. A consideration of the horse mtDNA mutation rate together with the archaeological timeframe for domestication requires at least 77 successfully breeding mares recruited from the wild. The extensive genetic diversity of these 77 ancestral mares leads us to conclude that several distinct horse populations were involved in the domestication of the horse.

We pooled the mtDNA sequences, covering 15,494–15,740, domestic horses (626 sequences),

Przewalski's horses (14 sequences), 1,000- to 2,000-y-old samples from archaeological sites in southern Sweden and Estonia (4 sequences). 12,000- to 28,000-y old Alaskan permafrost remains (8 sequences), a total of 652 sequences (93 mtDNA types).

We reconstructed the unrooted evolutionary network and then identified the root of the network by using the most closely related equid outgroups, namely Equus grevyi, Equus kiang, and Equus hemionus. The root turned out to be the central horse node A6, which implies that the Alaskan fossil equids are within the Eurasian mtDNA variation. To calculate phylogenetic time estimates, we postulated within the network one most parsimonious tree of the 641 modern horses; that is, we disregarded the ancient Alaskan and Scandinavian horses. The mtDNA root type traced to be between 342,000 ± 74,000 and 1,198,000 ± 260,000 years old. The large uncertainty is caused by the poor calibration of the mtDNA mutation rate. This root type is well distinguished from any other modern equid root type and multivariates into about 13 horse mtDNA branches. [SIZE=10pt]This means 300,000 years ago approximately represents the latest possible date for the first modern caballine horse[/SIZE].

Pretty cool
default_biggrin.png

I agree, it is pretty cool, although most of it went over my head.
default_smile.png
I just don't have a scientific background.
default_wink.png

Has there been any similar studies done on Miniatures or Falabellas to genetically trace their lineage?

Don't worry about it going over your head...I tried to edit the paper as much as possible and it was still hard to read lol.

This study shows the major "families" of the horse going back thousands of years - hundreds of thousands - before man even came into the picture with his use of the horse. I'm not sure what mtDNA type the mini's have - I'd imagine the same as the Northern pony breeds as genetically that's where they cluster today. I do have a copy of Cothrans genetic studies (helped him with hair samples also) and the miniature clusters next to the Shetland (Island Shetland) in the same bracket.

Sounds so fascinating. I love the forensics shows like "Forensic Files" and "Cold Case Files." I think it's really cool everything DNA can teach us. I also think that if I went "back to school" that I'd find DNA and genetics classes interesting...but it's so intimidating at the same time!
default_smile.png

Did anyone see the Nat Geo program on the Human family tree last night? It was a very interesting show showing our origins as a species and our migration out of African spreading all over the world. It wasn't new information - just interesting to see in film form. Some really cool things were pointed out - the most important to me being the statement that at the genetic level THERE IS NO RACE. We're all 99.99% genetically the same with just slight variations for skin color, hair color, eye color, face shape etc.

I hope that one day people will educate themselves enough to see that we are all members of the same species and end the divisions between us that are based on superficial things.
default_biggrin.png

Did anyone see the Nat Geo program on the Human family tree last night? It was a very interesting show showing our origins as a species and our migration out of African spreading all over the world. It wasn't new information - just interesting to see in film form. Some really cool things were pointed out - the most important to me being the statement that at the genetic level THERE IS NO RACE. We're all 99.99% genetically the same with just slight variations for skin color, hair color, eye color, face shape etc.
I hope that one day people will educate themselves enough to see that we are all members of the same species and end the divisions between us that are based on superficial things.
default_biggrin.png
Well said!
default_aktion033.gif

That is neat! Wish I got the Nat Geo channel. Oh, well. Reading that brought back some of the horrors of my microbial genetics class! Hahahaha!!!
default_laugh.png
But really, that is cool.
default_saludando.gif

Latest posts

Back