The Census

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wee Mite Miniatures

Reaction score
I did my duty. I filled it out and mailed it back. However I did make little notes on it to let them know I was not pleased with the questions.

I am an AMERICAN. It makes no difference as to where my ancestors came from. I chose to live in this country. I feel that until the government starts to treat all of us as equal citizens with equal rights the racism will continue in this county. When asked my race I listed under other AMERICAN.

I feel only one question should be asked.

Are you a citizen or not? I would also like to see them ask if not a citizen are you here legally or not, but no one would be say they are not, they would just throw it in the trash.

I think they should ask "AMERICAN" or "NOT" If "NOT" Where is your Citizenship at? Not even asking if they are here legally. That way even if you have a green card you still mark "NOT". I think they need to know how many citizens and non-citizens there are.

I agree....... It annoyed me too.

I was also p*ssed off about the relationship questions......... WHY does it matter if your child living in your household is biological or adopted????? WHAT BUSINESS IS IT OF THE GOVERNMENTS??????
default_torch.gif

If I understand correctly, the only thing you're required to answer is how many people live in the house.

I dont mind any of the questions that they have on it. I understand that it is to get a general over view of what people are where. Maybe to see if certain areas adopt more than others. I dont think though that if you arent a citizen, that you should get a census. Seems that its to get US help for our area, not non-citizens.

They did not have "domestic partner" and I am NOT single, so I put MARRIED (which is the most accurate choice).. I am married even if it is called "domestic partnership" in Oregon.

There was an "unmarried partner" option on the 2010 census... Maybe one of these days the importance of the relationship, the box, and the federal legal status will all be in alignment.

Filing out the form was easy compared to the phone call I got from them ! I was asked questons that took 30 minutes to answer
default_new_shocked.gif
The US census bureau called our home saying it was mandatory to answer their questions !! I was leary but my caller ID identified them as being the census bureau and they did not ask for any personal information. The questions were asked for each person in the household ( 4 ) and wanted info on ages, school degrees, college, health care insurance, disablities, job information and incomes, unemployment wages and a few other things. Anyone else get one of these "delightful" calls from them ??

it was 10 easy questions and none were obtrusive, all very "lite" compared to 10 years ago. I filled out all 10 so did my friends and parents too. 10 easy not even how much do you make in a year like it was years ago.

Filing out the form was easy compared to the phone call I got from them ! I was asked questons that took 30 minutes to answer
default_new_shocked.gif
The US census bureau called our home saying it was mandatory to answer their questions !! I was leary but my caller ID identified them as being the census bureau and they did not ask for any personal information. The questions were asked for each person in the household ( 4 ) and wanted info on ages, school degrees, college, health care insurance, disablities, job information and incomes, unemployment wages and a few other things. Anyone else get one of these "delightful" calls from them ??
No......thank heaven. Those kind of questions should NOT be mandatory! Some of those questions ARE personal, IMO.

Miniv- I agree that these were personal and I did not like answering them at all. I think the government is getting way too nosey about our lives. They did ask for names which I really did not like but they did not ask for any numbers, I would not have given them out and would have hung up and reported them if they had.

default_new_shocked.gif
According to commercials and warnings on tv they DO NOT CALL anyone. Only answer questions to someone who comes to your door and proves who they are. They all have had training and will have PROPER identification. No one should answer questions over the phone. It is not done this way. I know you did not know this and it is too late but it may help someone else.

My hubby who has recently worked for the Census says

The call was BOGUS. The census will NOT take any info over the phone.

All data is being collected either by the mail in form or by personal interviews. There are only 10 questions being asked. There MAY be a follow-up in person (or maybe by phone) to only clarify if one of your responses is un-readable or unclear.

You can go to 2010.census.gov and pull up the question form of the 10 Qs that are asked.

I have seen it on TV as well, where they will not call you..I dont think I would of answered ANY of the phone questions, regardless if it came up on your called ID. It seems odd to me that they would ask so many personal phone questions compared to a census taker at a home or a form filled out. Our area had the in home census takers, I didnt mind it one bit, VERY few questions and nothing personal at all, which I wouldn't of answered if it had been. I would think the most she was in our home was about 2-3 minutes, and that included her petting my dogs!

I have several peeves about the census.

1. The mailing to say you were getting your census. After all the dumb hoopla about conservation and the environment. The waste of the tax dollars to send the extra mailing. (Gov't waste)

2. Any info asked by the Gov't other than the numbers in your household. They do not need to know our names or our phone number. They really already know this so what is the diff. Also, what was previously mentioned... if you are illegal, you aren't going to fill it out anyways.

3. Just like Susan said about race. Who cares. Susan is right, it's just another way of dividing the country. Do I say that I'm a European American or a mixed American? NO, I am American! I am tired of the political correctness.

4. The postcard/reminder about filling in and sending your '10 census. More gov't WASTE, more waste of trees (and ink), and more junk mail I have to throw out or burn.

I have a better use for trees and paper. Chop them up and let the horses poop on 'em. At least it is turned into useful fertilizer!

Exit Soapbox
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it was back in the '70's a census taker came to the door. This might be a reason why they have changed it to include names. The guy asked me how many people were living in that house. I said 27. Actual answer 6. Do we have in door plumbing? No. There is an out house out behind the big tree. Actual answer, Yes. It was just a shed out back. We were in a subdivision. everyone had just over 3/4ac. I thought these questions were rather stupid so I gave stupid answers. Why does the government care if I have an indoor toilet anyway.

Why does the government care if I have an indoor toilet anyway.
Maybe Uncle Sam plans to take a toilet or two from someone who has five toilets to give them to someone who has no toilets? Potty redistribution...

Last edited by a moderator:
Why does the government care if I have an indoor toilet anyway.
Maybe Uncle Sam plans to take a toilet or two from someone who has five toilets to give them to someone who has no toilets? Potty redistribution...
O M G!
default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl
default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl
default_new_rofl.gif
Now that was funny. To me anyway.....Thanks! Who but you.

I can understand the race questions a little. I know in trying to look up ancestors we have used old census information and it has been a huge help. Maybe years down the road this information can help our childrens children and answer some of their questions. ?? Just a thought.

Latest posts

Back