the bucking mini, my new horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for the pictures! They are both looking great. I love how Paxton has black down his back. He's a striking boy!

What a difference with Willow. I never would have guessed she was a dapple. I agree that she looks like a silver dapple though I am also not up on horse colors.

Have to admit, none of our silvers are that dark on their winter hair! But I've seen pics of some that are almost that dark (look black) when shed/clipped for the show ring, so guess that would be possible

Our 2 homozygous silver mares are also both heterozygous black - and look golden when they are shed out after they fade in the sun and with their winter hair. They have both been mistaken for palomino, LOL.

January 2012 - Bell & Bit. Bit is closest to us in this pic (drives on the off or right side). They are 20 & 21 yrs old in this pic

12jan31bebi17.jpg

May 20th, 2012 - Bell is 20 yrs old.

12may20lrt776.jpg

Koalah is our darkest mare - and has produced both our darkest foal and our lightest foal. Possible that the lightest is homozygous silver - haven't had her checked yet. Koalah is homozygous black, no agouti (bay gene), single silver, no sabino or frame, single tobiano.

15may22koa101039.jpg

14jun20biko328.jpg

Koalah & Ranger - 4 May 2010. Ranger is heterozygous for cream, silver & black. Only foal out of Koalah to not be a pinto, however at least 2 stallions she was bred to were homozygous for tobiano...

10may4rangk243.jpg

A pasture full of "faded" silvers - several are homozygous black, some are heterozygous black. 5 are only 1 silver gene - 3 not tested yet. Of the 3 not tested yet, 2 of those are homozygous black. Flower is a silver bay 1/2 shetland - tallest pinto near the back of the silver fillies. The lightest filly, Bunny, in the "middle" - is homozygous black - foal coat turned white not long after birth and stayed that way until she shed out her yearling year. She looks like a light silver right now with gold highlights.

15jul31pon0756.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I fibbed! I always forget Koalah's daughter's dark coloring when she was kept in the barn for conditioning and training for show.

Here she is before going to trainers - Feb 2012

12feb10fl610.jpg

body clipped, staying in the barn 24/7 except for her yearling work outs. 10 april 2012

12apr10fla1.jpg

Not sure when she was last body clipped. August 2012 - didn't go to Congress and I took this pic at the trainers in TX.

12aug13fl475.jpg

October 2012 - again not sure when last body clipped.

12oct28fla815a.jpg

2013 - July - American Shetland Pony Congress. Pro pic

13jul10fla6101.jpg

and my pic -

13jul12fla313.jpg

and on the 29th of July - back at our home in the pasture. She didn't seem to remember that she could stand under the trees or maybe she liked hanging out in the direct sunlight all the time... Flashi is homozygous for black, no agouti, single silver, single tobiano, no sabino.

13jul29fla580.jpg

13jul29fla579.jpg

14jun18fla550.jpg

This is "Bunny" - Flashi's full sister. She has not been tested for silver, tobiano - but would be no agouti and homozygous black.

13apr02kfilly073.jpg

14jul18bu119a.jpg

16feb6bu1073.jpg

Aw! They are beautiful!

I too have a mini called Willow, she is also a silver
default_smile.png

My colt is also a silver as far as I know.

What a pretty girl! Seems like the mares (at least ours) has more sass than they really need ;) Sierra and Misty will give a little more attitude than Coal or Remi when being asked to do something. Generally they get over it *chuckle*

Can't wait to see your progress with this pretty girl!

Latest posts

Back