the bucking mini, my new horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Specialk

Reaction score
I acquired a new horse this fall. She was sold to me having been used in dressage and cde. I was anticipating a fairly well trained driving horse. Well what I wanted and what I got were two very different things. The first time I tried to ground drive her down the road she walked about 100 feet and started snorting and bucking like a bronc. She broke a rein and I ended up walking her back to the house and then lounging her. During which she reared and bucked. Since then I have found out she has the following skills: rears, kicks, bucks, snorts, runs down my dogs, has a very hard mouth, grabs the bit and completely ignores me, knows nothing about the word whoa. She does stand pretty well to have her feet trimmed, lounges well except the attitude, and has a beautiful trot.

The lady who sold her to me was brokering the deal for the owner. She claims they never witnessed this type of behavior from the mare. After getting past my disappointment, I've decided to keep her and work with her. I feel like she is a victim of bad training and her attitude is from being pushed too far too fast for sake of showing. She turns 4 this spring.

I have broke mustangs so a bucking mini is not very impressive to me. I am deploying Clinton Anderson techniques and starting from ground zero. I will try to keep you all updated.

Change one- giving her free access to hay in a slow feeder has been a game changer for her. I think she was hungry all the time trying to keep her in show condition. She was attacking my other horses and guarding food. She is sooo much calmer.

Change two- Bitless. I bought a weaved Bitless nosepiece on etsy. She is a different horse without a bit and actually responses.

image.jpeg

She is a beautiful girl and sounds like you will have her under control in no time
default_smile.png

Keep us posted on your progress with her
default_smile.png

Very pretty girl! Some are ready to be shown and driven at that age some are not, she seems like she is not. My guy is 3 and his attitude overall about life and everything has changed for the better since I've started driving him. He used to never let anyone catch him (except me) and now he comes running to the gate, he was pretty dully and now hes full of life, he absolutely loves being driven!

It sounds like you have the right plan, starting from ground 0. If I get any horse that young I do that anyways just to make sure there are no holes in their training and to see where they are mentally. I bet she'll turn out to be a great driving horse!

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. She is a bit of a challenge. She can be walking calm as can be and then pitch a fit. But her cute little face is hard to resist.

image.jpeg

OK, I'll bite - what color is she???

She is certainly a pretty mover and appears to be nicely put together.

Starting at ground zero is always a good thing. You'll soon know if she'll work for you as a driving horse - wether on not you will need to spend extra time working with her to get her to a safe driving point or whether you will need to find her a "new" job.

I, too, am looking forward to following your journey.

I bet she's smokey silver black (?). I've got one of that color and he's thrown double dilute babies. Carries both silver and cream dilute. Those together make the mane and tail a little darker than a straight silver black would have.

I love her color and markings!

I agree with you she looks more like a smokey silver black than a dapple. The previous owner said you can see dapple spots on her after she sheds. We will see. So far I see no spots.

So I love paints and bought a paint yearling colt today, he arrives tomorrow. He is also registered from good bloodlines. I have to decide either geld him right away or do I bred her. What would the outcome be of breeding her to the paint? He is supposed to have a great personality. His personality and her good looks.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Really good, thanks for asking. I started her all over like an unbroke horse. Haven't even driven her once. I'm a big fan of Clinton Anderson. Working on fundamentals. She has calmed down so much. She flexes and touches her side with only one finger on the lead rope. She backs four ways, wiggling the rope, finger pressure on the lead, marching towards her, and wiggling my training stick. She puts get nose to the ground with just poll pressure, which is huge because she was very head shy. She turns on the hindquarters and forequarter by wiggleing my finger. She lounges, changes direction on her hindquarters and circle drives. Need to find someway to video tape her.

Moving on to side passing and obstacles. Then I will start ground driving.

That's great how well she is responding. I'd love to see video of her. I'm sure all the work you've put in on the ground is going to make a huge difference when she is hooked up!

Do you have any pictures of her now that she's shed?

I will get some pics this weekend. I clipped her a few weeks ago and she is actually a dapple. There are white spots under that coat.

I do have a pic of Paxton after his haircut. I did decide to geld him. He is such a cutie. And as you can see by the pic, a big helper.

image.jpeg

Latest posts

Back