"The blizzard that never was"... South Dakota... this week, horrible and sad

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shorthorsemom

Reaction score
The worst blizzard in recorded history hit South Dakota this week and has killed tens of thousands of cattle across the state and power is out, over 5 feet of snow 60 mph winds and animals stranded and frozen because the storm came so early in the year the livestock was caught out in summer grazing land without protection and had not yet grown in their winter hair so they froze to death.

This is devastating for South Dakota ranchers and not one word in the news until yesterday. They are calling it the blizzard that never was.

Just posting so you folks are aware of what is happening in our country. Spread the word, be thinking of these american folks struggling for their lives right now.

You can google now for articles for more information.

Yep, regular news still not carrying this story, but "alternate news" picked it up and I have also seen the story posted on facebook.

I cannot imagine what these folks are going through and in silence and no help. The "lets move" postal stamps being rejected because the kids on the stamp images are not wearing helmits or protective knee wear did make national headlines but this tragedy took almost a week to surface into the news. something just wrong about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: REO
gosh I've been following that for about a week or more now? I do remember them talking about it when it was forming and thought to myself wow this is early for that! and hoping this will not be a preview of the Winter to come.

I know I remember seeing CBS News reports starting around my sisters birthday on the 5th..was this the one you are speaking of?" they named it Atlas. The storm went through Colorado, Wyoming, Iowa and more states. It's been on the News here, not just the severe blizzard conditions but several tornadoes too it was horrible! all those people without electricity and ranchers who have lost half and more of their herds. You may be speaking of something totally different though.

Yes about 1 week now. Many ranchers have lost 50% of their herds now in the aftermath of that storm. I always have my ears open for farmer stories and work hard to keep folks informed on how their american farmers are doing and how hard it is to bring food to the tables of the american public. I couldn't believe that we weren't hearing more about this on the news. Even when I search for stories it is hard to find out more information and I imagine it will be weeks before the total damage will be known. Events like this send a ripple through the farming industry nation wide. makes me think of the paul harvey "so god made a farmer". Bless the farmers.

You are soo right! it will send a ripple nation wide. I feel really bad for them especially since right now most all have their hands tied.

The news of this storm was carried on our news here in Canada. I suppose we are sensitive to anything 'winter' so that is why our station carried it. My husband and I were commenting on what a disaster it would be and how devastating to deal with so much winter so abruptly. The reports even showed pictures of just how extreme the conditions were but no mention of lost livestock and no updates after the initial report. My heart goes out to everyone affected whether they live in the country or in a city or anywhere in between.

Estimates of loss are now up to 75,000 cattle. . . horses not estimated yet, but I know of one QH farm that lost all weanlings, all but one yearling, and all but 2 2 year olds, and 1/2 the broodmare band.

Estimates of loss are now up to 75,000 cattle. . . horses not estimated yet, but I know of one QH farm that lost all weanlings, all but one yearling, and all but 2 2 year olds, and 1/2 the broodmare band.
Barely getting the news about the cattle, I had heard nothing of horse loses, so sad.

We never saw anything on the news here, but I did read about it on FB so knew it was happening. Also knew about the tornadoes that hit Wayne Nebraska & area at that same time thanks to FB--the tornadoes were not mentioned on the news here at all. I am pretty much done watching the TV news; I find out a lot more a lot sooner by reading FB.

There has been freaky bad weather for years. BUT-this is a trend we are sure to be seeing more and more, much to our misery. For those that believe that way-it's in our Bible. But even so, with technology and chemicals, etc. etc. , I think our weather patterns have been altered also. So hard to think about and bear. I have been taking the time to enjoy the beauty and temperatures that N. IL has been experiencing this past week. Who ever knows what's to come. May we all be safe.

Back