Thats it I cannot take it

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runamuk

Reaction score
I have had it with my sheep ....don't get me wrong I still like them BUT they act like sheep/loons and once again I had another delightful weekend trying to herd animals that weren't co operating.......AND I appear to have twisted my knee but good ...yeowch....so now I am on the search for an aussie to assist me in moving (these really not very bright creatures
rolleyes.gif
) from pasture to pasture and to the barn......the poodle can usually be convinced to help kinda but not this weekend he was totally bent out of shape as he got left home while hubby and kid went hunting.
wacko.gif
......my borzoi will guard them but flipped me off when I told her to go get them
new_shocked.gif
.....my german shepherd well he is kinda useless he either chases or does nothing and since I have finally convinced him NOT to chase sheep we just won't go there........that leaves 1 antique deaf chow hmmmmmm not thinking that will work......I never ever thought I would NEED a dog.......but boy do I......anyhow that is what I did this weekend
wacko.gif
wacko.gif

Are your Sheep Whisle Trained?? This works really well for us! I have never used a dog!

I hope you find a helpful friend soon!

Rebecca

your welcome to borrow CJ for the day she would love it.. she isn't great but used to practice on our horses although when they turned to her being the not real secure dog she is she would run the other way and they horses would be herding the dog

How exactly does one train sheep
wacko.gif
wacko.gif
what I find is I will have 1 or 2 in a group that will follow me for grain but if they are low in the pecking order and the "boss" thinks they should divide and run that is what they do..........I was simply trying to get them out of the stubbly old pasture so I tossed open the gate onto 8-12 inch high yummy ungrazed grass....the horse ran out immediately the sheep ran 1/2 way back across the field and looked at me like "close the gate close the gate"
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
so I left it wide open for 3 hours they still were standing in the middle of the eaten down area in shock that the gate was open
wacko.gif
ohmy.gif
so I went in and tried to herd them out...nope they'd get right to the gate and split the flock down the middle 1/2 going left and 1/2 going right
frusty.gif
frusty.gif
frusty.gif
frusty.gif
frusty.gif
looney creatures........

[SIZE=14pt]Sheep are not the brightest. When we had them we found that a shepherds crook was indespensible. Sheep that were born at our place knew our voices and followed us. Sheep cant be drivien they have to be led. The ones that were older when they came were the most troublesome! They never got re trained. Good luck![/SIZE]

Lyn

Last edited by a moderator:
The only way I could get my sheep where I needed them was with a grain bucket.

Figured out what their favorite all time grain was, and would only give it to the when I moved the around. They learned really fast to follow me...sometimes to the point of being mobbed!

I had a wild boss ewe once. I got her into a non jumpable stall. This may sound mean, but I would hand feed her. (Always had water for her) She would not eat the first couple of days. Would still very still and she would come eat near me, then out of my hand.Within a week I had a halter on her with a butt rope. She learned to calm down and from then on she followed me any time I had a grain bucket.

Is a bit of work but I think worth it.

HEHEHEHE....We always used a goat to lead them where we wanted. It worked well in herds and I have seen goats used in salebarns also.

The goat wont work...he is afraid of them and they run when they see him.......

got the mob to follow the wheelbarrow tonite about 30 ft out the gate then they commenced to grazing......ok fine not enough time tonite so back into the pasture and try again tomorrow......ya know all I want to do is sort them out and do a few routine things.......and check one in particular over.......it's not like the custom cutter truck is sitting there waiting for them
wacko.gif
wacko.gif

We must have funny sheep and goats. OUrs all live together, babydoll, shetland, miniature scottish black face, nubians, fainters, lamuncha, boars and occasionally a pgyme.

Anyway, ours do not come in the barn, they have calf huts outside, but can come right up to the barn, they pasture is inbetween, the horses and the zebras. You step foot out that door and instantly they are all at your feet.

I find it rather annoying at times.

But may I suggest a blue heeler? My all time favorite dog.

Well he comes home tomorrow after his "tutoring" and I think we decided on calling him "Willy"
biggrin.gif
he suffered from wanderlust and found his wittle self at the shelter (his booking papers said found at large running down roadway)......I cannot believe no one went looking for this dog he is awesome and about 10 times more gorgeous than the picture........I already contacted a stock dog instructor in my town who apparently is a top competitor in the sport....and I hooked up with a local aussie person and have another aussie person also in my state.......we are ready to make this work.........I cannot wait for tomorrow night
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

That is a beautiful solution! Is it a trained working dog?

Oops...think we posted at the same time...Yes he will be and Willy is a gorgeous young man.

aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
Great solution!!! A dog in need and a woman in need, what a great solution!!!

So glad you are getting the training done professionally since you need the help ASAP. I attempted (a total novice here) to teach my dog herding. LOL! Well, let's say, she's got the chasing thing down pat! LOL!
biggrin.gif
She just doesn't get where she's supposed to take them. Ah well. She's just my best pal now instead of my dream herding dog. The next one will get professional training because I'm tired of the kids complaining about me using them as my herding dogs! LOL! I've got miniature goats, maybe a 1/4 ounce smarter than sheep.
biggrin.gif

Keep us updated! I'd love to hear how well the training goes and how long it takes. Wonder if he has had any previous training. I'm sure it will show through if he has.

Latest posts

Back