"That Horse Has A Lot Of Heart"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
We've all used or heard the expression that a particular horse has a lot of heart.

I thought it would be interesting to see what that expression means to different people.

What does it mean to you?

To me, it means the horse has a strong desire to please his person.

I have some horses who are trained and who pretty much do what they are supposed to without question. They do it because they know they are supposed to. To me, this isn't the same as a lot of heart.

There are a few horses I own who I do think have A LOT of heart. I feel like these horses are motivated to try their hardest and do their best to please me, and just because they don't just "do what they are supposed to" but have true motivation to do as well as they can.

Lou and Derby are two of my favorite horses. Lou is a horse who is very obedient. She is affectionated, too, and I think pretty smart. But, she is almost like a machine when I drive her. She is doing her job. Derby is also pretty obedient but he really tries and though he will challange a handler until he knows leadership is not up for grabs, he really gives 110% when you put him to something. You can kind of get a feel for his heart from the picture below (and I love his form, too).

I'm interested to hear just what the expression "a lot of heart" means to you all!

Derby-WCMHR-Hunter.jpg

I was lucky enough to show a horse named Sittin Bull for several years. Bull's not an athlete, but he won many, many classes, all purely with heart. He doesn't have the stride of some horses, but he worked hard and won driving classes; he doesn't have the conformation of some horses, but worked hard and won some halter classes; he's not built for agility, and isn't really a big fan of jumping, but when the audience would clap for him and I'd ask him to, he'd jump anything, up to 42".

KC said it best one day ... she said he had the big belly because he needed all that room for his heart.

To me, a Horse having a lot of heart means thriving when the cards are stacked against it. These last few weeks I have got a know a truly great little horse. I posted at the beginning of the month about a little colt that lost his mother at a day old. What I didn't post was that colt walked stride for stride with his mother for several hours the first day with little to eat, loaded onto the trailer and went to the vet clinic with her, and fought and cried when the owners loaded him up alone. He was two weeks old yesterday and is still growing stronger everyday.

His Mother, a maiden mare, also had true heart in that even though she was in severe pain, and I believe she knew she was dying she wanted her baby. She squealed for him until the end.

Heart is nothing less than pure courage.

101F04-3-520-59.jpg

edited to added a pic of Charlie.

Sorry if it's so big I couldn't resize.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would have to be my quarter horses, Kate, Classic Action, Myah and my pony Frosty. Not Sonny! :new_shocked:

These horses gave and gave every time. I could always count on them to get us through at the shows. They'd show in the horrible heat, and trudge through the pouring down rain and wind from storms. They'd be hot, and tired, and were getting so old, but they still went the extra mile to please and do their best. Sometimes it would be getting so terribly hot that I'd have to scratch them from their last couple of classes for their own good, but their ears were still pricked forward like "huh?" As if they knew they really weren't done. Poor Classic Action, Michael's show horse: that old guy just refused to quit. He'd begin to go lame after a couple of classes when he aged and tired so easily, and I'd scratch his classes too, but would never stay tied to a trailer for nothing. He wasn't happy unless Michael was on his back atleast walking him all around the showgrounds. That horse wanted in that ring so bad, he'd bring Michael right to the gate and want to get in there.

Came a time when my pony Frosty was just way too old and tired to go to a show, and going lame half the time. By time we'd arrive at the showgrounds, he'd be tired just from the trip. But leave him home? Never. He wouldn't allow it. The minute that trailer door was open, he'd go around the side of the barn and jump himself right in the trailer and park it there. So, I'd bring him, but we wouldn't show him the last few years. But he had to go. He thrived on the attention that he got from the passers by.

These were horses that aimed to please and never gave up, all passed now that had heart.

Before I had minis I had a big ugly appaloosa. To me he was the most beautiful animal on the planet. This horse was ALL HEART. He could jump 5 and a half feet no problem but that wasn't what made him special. Anything I asked of him he would do or die trying. With little kids he would stand and let them do ANYTHING to him. Let a teenager even look at him and they were promptly chased over the fence. He attacked my ex-husband when he went to hit me. I could ride him with no bridle or saddle anywhere and did. If I left him in one spot I could come back a couple of hours later and he would be waiting for me. I would have died for him and he would have done the same. It is still very very hard after all these years because he was so much a part of me to talk of him. When he went blind he would listen for me. I knew the end was near by the way he was in his paddock when he didn't know I was there. As soon as he heard me he was a different horse. Charlie had a massive seizure and I made the decision to put him down then a there and I knew it was the right decision. I have not had the heart to ride since he died. I am very very fortunate that I have several horses with a heart like his but that is what makes each of them a very special individual. Linda B

When I saw this post two words came to mind Kind and forgiving...

I have known two horses with "a lot of heart".

My first pony Bobby, what a love......Looking back I knew very little. We bought him out of a field, he ahd been ignored and neglected. I brought him home and he gave me his very best. I was a really free kid, just wanted to have fun. I adored him but probably learned as I went. I won tons of ribbons on him, in showjumping, 2 day eventing at pony club events. We did lots of fox hunting, mounted games you name it and most of all riding all over the Dublin/Wicklow mts. He never put a foot wrong. I used to sit under him for shelter if we got caught in a downpour... he was brilliant. I cried my little heart out when I sold him and cried when I heard he passed on at 29 years of age, 20 years after I sold him:)

Then there is my Fairy, my 29" little darling! Arrived here scrawny, infested, neglected, pathetic little thing... I cried when I saw her but I cried even more when I went to sit with her the evening she arrived and she followed me around like a puppy dog and then rested her little head on my knee. Such trust, and love and kindness from a little horse that had been given so little by her previous owner.

Fairy is my little girl and she will live out her days here for sure!
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

She has a huge heart of Gold!

My Fairy on one of our walks together, she just follows right along:)

asprrst.jpg

When I think of this expression I think the same as you Jill, that the horse has a stong desire to please, and will willingly take on any task that is asked of him.

But I also have heard "survival against the odds" kind of stories, where the horses are more than deserving of the title of having a lot of heart!

Rosie(avater) - Anyone who shows in Area V knows Rosie and I. Everybody in their life should have the chance to have such a relationship as I do with Rosie. She'll do anything I ask, willingly. Put us in front of a judge, regardless of class, and she gives it her all. She can practically read my mind.

Now, Rosie has a personality. She may have all the heart in the world, but she does have a michevous side to her as well. She'll undo stall decorations in record time, will put her mouth on (and chew) anything she can reach, and has been known to chase people out of her stall. If she ever "spooks", it's not because she was scared. She "spooks" so she can dart, buck, rear, and show off to who ever is watching. This morning she almost found out how well my boot can fit in her "*"!!
default_wink.png
: She makes a great liberty horse. She has been known to "dance" at the end of lead whether tied to a tree or waiting on a class (and by dance, I mean two feet). At the Spooker last year, I was wearing those head band springing things (I don't know what they are called) and she was totally transfixed by them. While we were waiting for liberty, she decided to get a better look. Just like a deer eating leaves off a tree, she slowly reared up and tried to grab them! She got in trouble for that one, but some friends and I also got a good laugh too!

This year will be Rosie's last year on the shetland and pinto circuits. She'll be temporarily retired for a couple foals. We hope to go out with a bang at Pinto World!
default_wub.png
:

I agree with you Jill......and Fred put very well --

"Anything I asked of him he would do or die trying."

A horse with a lot of heart will do anything for the person they love.

MA

When I think of a horse as "having a lot of heart," I think of Ruffian running to win even on a broken leg. I think of the horses who do what's asked of them to the best of their ability and only when it's over reveal that they were in pain the whole time. I think of the kind of horse who could be said to "throw their heart over a jump and follow it." The kind who plows through a snowstorm and finds the town without guidance to get the doctor for a sick child, and then turns around and takes the messenger safely home. THOSE horses have heart.

Our modern horses don't have as many opportunities to prove their heart but you can still tell when they have it. My mom's horse Bo who just passed had a tremendous heart. He would go anywhere, do anything you asked him to if you'd earned his trust and do it with absolute faith that you'd bring him safely home. You could have fit the whole Puget Sound in his heart.

Spyder, however, I would not say has a lot of heart. And you all know how much I love him! He's done a lot of above-and-beyond things for me but I feel that it is because of the unique bond we have. He knows I love him, understand him, and wouldn't ask him to do anything bad if I didn't have to. He is obedient to anyone who has his leadline because he was taught you have to be. He does what I ask him to (no matter how difficult) because he loves me. But he won't do anything for anyone nor is he outwardly a brave and courageous horse. His bravery is quiet, shown mostly by still daring to love and go on when he's been hurt so many times. Sensible and kind, stalewart and loving, he still does not have what I would term "a lot of heart."

Kody does.

Kody is the kind of horse with a lot of try, which means he's game for anything if there's a steady hand on the rein and he trusts his partner. He may not know how to do it or what's expected of him but he'll try until he falls over. Even if he's unsure of something he'll go forward if I ask him to. Courage, after all, is not a lack of fear. It's going on in spite of fear. Horses with a lot of heart are courageous.

Good question Jill!

Leia

Edited to add: Ah, MiniV you've got it. A horse with heart goes anywhere you point them. A good horse without it will follow anywhere you lead. Both are good, but it's that willingness to try on their own to please you that makes a horse with heart.

I love this meaning of Heart

“Heart†does not mean stamina, physical ability, size, strength, or conformation. In a horse it refers to that wonderful and sometimes magical ability to surrender willingly to a human's wishes. It allows some horses to reach the highest levels of competition, others to win races, and some to pull or carry loads that test their physical limits. If I had to choose one trait in a horse that I was going to train or use for any reason, I would choose “heart†before any other. It's not something you can see, but rather something you feel!

default_wub.png
:

I believe that a horse who has a lot of heart is the one who will go above and beyond their expectations. One who loves his owner unconditionally. Also, a horse with a lot of emotion. My Midas is one of them. He will go and go for me, do anything I ask of him. I'll never forget one show (I was probably 9), Midas wouldn't cooperate for me in obstacle. When we got out of the ring I yelled at him and told him he was being naughty. When I put him in his stall he literally had tears coming out of his eyes. He couldn't stand the thought of disappointing me. Another time, was when I got the phone call about my best friend's dad. He was drunk, and hit and killed a girl I went to school with, and he also didn't survive. I ran to Midas' paddock and sat on the ground for hours crying. Midas stood in front of me, with his head on my shoulder the whole time. Everytime he see's me cry, he cries.
default_wub.png
:

We had a judge pick our mare for the judges choice ribbon last year and her reason for picking her was that she could see she had heart and a horse that had heart was something she would love to have a barn full of

at her barn. This horse went all out to please her handler just days after she got out of the vet clinic from a bad bout with impact colic that nothing the vets did seemed to help. No thought for herself and her discomfort just glad to be alive chomping at the bit all alert to go and giving 110% for her person she loves.

Besides Relic that was the only other horse we've ever had that had that much inside to willingly give.

Others have said it all and well, but I just couldn't resist this topic...I also own a mare with heart. Many of you have heard me talk about her, she's my whole world. I 'rescued' her in a way. She and her gelding companion were in a teeny back yard, with plenty of food and water, but crazy go nuts people. Smokey ( the gelding) had almost No hair from his head to his front legs, and it would be months before he started to grow healthy hair, and to this day he is scard. Sassy had no skin issues, but you could Not tie her, and under saddle she was a Bad one for rearing when she didn't want to go, and very very worried.

She and I had some real knock down drag out arguments, in the beginning, she would run me over, take off at the slightest sound, and was just miserable all over. Her previous owners had riddnen her in a 5 inch Walking horse bit! (Read Huge Port, Heavy bit with 5 inch length shanks!) It took us a good year, but all the sudden we just clicked one day, and she became My horse, and I Her person.

I can ride her in nothing at all, all paces, and jump easily. We have done 25 mile endurance rides, and almost all of my students learned to ride off her. She will happily and safely pack a 4 year old around, and has done numerous pony party rides for my friends young children, and is completly voice controled.

She has injured herself before in pasture accidents at horse shows or endurance mets, and bravly tried to hide it to go on, go out!

She would give me her last breath, and her last min on earth, just to please me, and I her to be honest..Thanks to a crazy boarder and her prolific stallion, she has also given me two beautiful foals, and also horribly foundarded due to the last pregancy. She will most likely never be ridden again, but I could care less, she will always be here with me.

She's my everything, and I love her more then I can say, the trust we have in each other is imense... I know how very special I am to have this mare, and wouldn't give her up for anyhthing. I have long said, if anything Ever happens, and I am forced to give up my horses, I will gladly starve to keep her happy and safe next to me....Here's a pic taken of her at my fathers water front home with me being really bad, but showing our trust level. She had Never been here, and there were loud boats and kids and Stuff everywhere... And she simply stood, because I had asked her too.
101-0107_IMG.jpg
and a picture of her beautiful foal from this year, her last ever, born on Valentines day.
10e5b52d.jpg
Headshot.jpg

When I think of a horse with heart, I think along the same lines as most of you, a horse that will give his all and more to do what is asked. The example that comes to my mind is Seabiscuit. Now, I know there was a movie made about him and I did see it once. However, I learned about Seabiscuit from a book called Come on Seabiscuit . It focused a lot more on him and not quite so much on the people. He was truly a horse with a huge heart who did a lot against "impossible" odds.

I dont mean to get all mushy on everyone but here i go ...

A horse that has heart, to me, is a horse that would give up its life just to make sure a hair on your head is not hurt. It has nothing but love and respect for its owner and when you look at him/her and they look back ..your understand each other.

I swear to this day, and my last day on this earth that i will never own another horse like my little Coco. I know everyone has a horse that just means the world to them, but Coco is not like any other. I swear he is an Angel sent from god, you have no idea how serious i am.

I dont tell my story much anymore but i figure this might as well be the place. If only you all could have seen me 2 years ago, i was one of the most depressed and down teens you could have possibly ever seen. I didnt have one thing to even look forward to, i think that back then if i lived or died i truly didnt care. Then April 19th, 2005 ....my life completely changed. I was really at the end of my rope untill then, and i dont want to go into details but that day my life took a 105% turn around. Coco came into my life that day, now the first month with Coco ...nothing special and i had no idea what was going to happen. But about 3 months later, i think it all changed. No more depression and i can honestly say i have never been so happy as i am today. All that i have today, is because of Coco. Im sure i even owe my life to that little horse, because with as depressed as i was from age 12-16 for those years ...i dont know how much longer i could have held on.

I call coco my angel sent from god, i look that horse in the eyes and i swear to god he has to be part human but i think god sent me that little horse for a reason. There would have been no way that i could have went from the person i was then to the person i am today without him.

You could offer me $5,000,000 right now for him ....and you would just get a blank stare from me. You cant put a price on something like that!

That is what true heart is!

Leeana

Agian ..sorry to get all mushy on you all.

I too will get all emotional typing this about my special "Horse with a lot of Heart" - that would be Summer Rose.

Not only was Rose one of THE most giving, hardworking competitors in the industry - enough to earn her the title of National Grand Open Single Pleasure Driving and also High Point of the Year and many, many other National Champion titles - but when she injured her hip and I found her in her stall standing in pain and unable to move it almost broke my heart.

Taking her to the hospital was agony for her, waiting for the x-rays to give us the horrible results - all the while Rose kept her eyes bright and her attitude challenging us to not give her a chance. Her prognosis was poor - the vets suggested putting her down - operations of this kind were extremely rare in horses and there had not been good results - why put her thru more agony.

Again Rose challenged me to give her a chance and after calling many, many vets all over the country the surgeons at Oregon State asked to have her brought down for an evaluation - of course they could not give us any guarantees - indeed they were very guarded and not optomistic.

Once again Rose endured the travel - this time it was an 8 hour trailer ride to Oregon state - upon her arrival she was greeted by the entire staff - she took her time walking slowly out of the trailer - stood in the entry bay and once again challenged any and all not to give her a chance - she looked at me and asked me to stand by her side. I agreed to leave her for a couple of days to have her evaluated - and 2 days later the surgeons at OSU called to tell me that they COULD NOT DENY HER THE RIGHT TO TRY!

So the surgery was performed, Rose had 2" of femur and the ball of her left hip removed and was kept at OSU for 2 weeks and again had to endure the long ride home. The next few months proved both positive and negative - but Rose NEVER gave up - she will always be a handicapped mare, but her spirit and her attitude have NEVER waivered - she is sassy and frisky - completely in charge and is pretty darn quick on 3-1/2 legs - she is now bearing weight regularly on her injured leg and we hope that in time she will be strong enough to actually be able to bear the weight of a pregnancy - for now she is Auntie Rose to the foals.

She is my heart and soul, I love her dearly and she has taught me so many things about the Will to Live and the Heart of a Horse

Thank you for allowing me to share my story.

Stacy Score

My little Arabain X Quarter Horse, dun mare, Ferrah is a horse who in my opinion..has a lot of heart.

Ferrah was a misunderstood little horse with an active mind. She got bored easily and that got her into trouble. I leased her from an owner who was afraid to even go in her stall. It was love at first sight. I have to admit, our first couple of rides were not poetry in motion, but once we connected...man o man...I have never ever experienced anything so amazing with a horse in my life.

That little mare pours her heart and soul into everything she does. Together we have galloped with bison, jumped ditches, swam streams, swam in lakes, whooped butt in barrel racing, whooped butt in dressage, whooped butt in 4-H, and so much more.

Ferrah always knows what mood I am in. When I am happy, she is just as happy as I am...when I am sad, Ferrah is quiet and pensive. She has saved my life numerous times, from things both real and imagined.

When I went on a trail ride with a friend Ferrah tried to warn us about a moose. When the moose came out of the bushes ansd ran at us, it was Ferrah who ran faster than she had in her whole life to get me to safety, when she felt me unbalance she would adjust her stride accordingly to keep me aboard.

The time Ferrah had an accident over a jump and landed on me on the other side, she was extremely careful as she got up.

When I fall off and in some circumstances end up underneath her she won't move a foot until I am safe.

Ferrah tried to prevent me from falling off...unless she sees a plastic bag.

Ferrah knows when we show and will put her heart totally into it, I think she knows that her best effort makes me happy, so she does it.

Ferrah has protected me when someone makes me uncomfortable. She has actually chased two people out of a stall before because they were being verbally abusive to me.

I love Ferrah.
default_wub.png
:

default_yes.gif
: I agree a horse wih heart will try anything asked , also will survive almost anything. Illness or accidents, when people think there is NO chance, the vet has given up and you've said your last good by, they get up and say, not yet. I've seen that a couple of times.

Latest posts

Back