Thanksgiving Plans????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maryann at MiniV

Reaction score
With all the uncertainty because of the Virus, I'm at a loss of how to handle Thanksgiving. I've also been thinking about the "homeless" or those with no family to spend it with. Would love some feedback and wondered how others are planning to spend it.

Our son & family have decided to stay quietly at home this year and have no other family. We were taken aback and our feelings were a little hurt. But if that is what they are comfortable with then we respect it. Our other son immigrated to Canada and the borders are closed.
My sister is hosting dinner for siblings/spouses. We will foregather with them.
I believe the homeless and poor are adequately cared for in our small community. I've asked before about this while helping at the Food Pantry. There are some, of course, who won't come forward to ask for help. I don't know how one could help them, though.

Talked to my Mom tonight, and she said the church community thanksgiving dinner is cancelled this year. [It's not free, but very reasonable.] Mom lives in town, I live 40 miles from town in the middle of nowhere; so she's been going to the Community dinner for several years and usually meets up with friends there (other single older ladies). Likely Mom will get a Turkey TV Dinner and call it good.
no idea what we are going to do, we've not been getting together with his mom and brother the last year much, as there is some tension. Last year, I made a turkey dinner just for the two of us; and they went to family friend's for dinner (we weren't invited, just more of that tension).
I do hope the grocery store has turkey on sale sometime this month, but I haven't seen anything, yet. And, I talked to someone today, that said she heard more turkey breasts and turkey rolls were being produced to better suit the smaller gatherings.

One of our area discount grocery stores is offering a special Thanksgiving meal package for $20. It includes a small turkey, gravy, stuffing mix, rolls, two cans of vegies, and olives. Interestingly, no cranberry. I asked them about the cranberry and was told they were trying to keep the cost within $20. People can buy a certificate for the meal and it would be donated to various Charities in the area. I actually think this is a great idea! I'm going to donate plus find out if I can add on the cost of a can of cranberry relish AND a pie!

We are going to my sister-in-laws home for Thanksgiving this year. My husband's side of the family has gotten really large. The last time I hosted, it was 36 people and it has grown even more with new marriages and kids over the past 5 years! Now we can't really all gather together. I try to host a campout here once a year where we can get together everyone bringing tents and trailers. But this year we had Covid and then heat waves and fires bringing us smoke.

There is a mission here for the homeless and they send me tickets to purchase meals. $57.60 feeds and cares for 30 people this Thanksgiving. They get a pretty big crowd for sit down meals and do a good job. I'm on the Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas mailing list so it makes it easy to remember to give. So much to be thankful for!

Our "wonderful" governor has now issued a dictate that we aren't allowed to have a gathering of more than 6 adults for Thanksgiving. Strangely that is exactly how many people we are having.....but that includes two youngsters. So I have extended invites to several others.....

Our "wonderful" governor has now issued a dictate that we aren't allowed to have a gathering of more than 6 adults for Thanksgiving. Strangely that is exactly how many people we are having.....but that includes two youngsters. So I have extended invites to several others.....
But funerals are allowed to have more, right? Then just say you are having a funeral for your turkey! ;) 😂

Here in Manitoba you cannot have a gathering of more than 5 people--indoors or outdoors--so we couldn't even hold a funeral for the turkey. Our cases are so high now, we went code red and locked down all but essential services again on Nov. 12. People were still going to the big stores and buying non essential items and stores were advertising black Friday sales in store, so as of yesterday morning the government restricted things further--the stores can sell non essential items only by online order/delivery/curbside pick-up. People are still looking for ways to circumvent the rules so i guess they do not care about having family Christmas either. Currently we are not allowed to have anyone from outside the home in to socialize so family get together are a no go.

UPDATE - This is from the Oregon Governor. She is now encouraging people who see neighbors having more than 6 people gathering for Thanksgiving to CALL THE POLICE!
Not specifically for Oregon, but I've seen this mentioned before. And, to go along with it, a reminder that it won't be the governor that pulls you out of a ditch or snowbank when you are stuck, it won't be the governor that helps you catch that loose horse or look for your lost cat; but it could be your neighbor...

I've been looking at grocery meat section for turkey giblets so I can make dressing. In vain. Everything seems to come to the grocery store already packaged.
I haven't roasted a Thanksgiving turkey in a number of years, but when I was, the giblets were ALWAYS in a bag inside the cavity of the turkey itself!(Found that out the first time I was the one to cook the turkey....AFTER it was cooked!! lol! (in my family, the stuffing was never put into the turkey, but was always cooked separately, so.....had never had occasion to rummage around inside the bird before it was put into the oven.)

I know of other people who didn't realize that "things" were inserted inside their turkey. 😁 Fortunately, I started helping my mother early on and saw......It's not a favorite moment having to dig into the cavity and pull out the bag of giblets and the neck. As for stuffing, I put some inside the bird, but the majority is cooked separately too.
Who has see the prank videos with mom stuffing the turkey with a cornish game hen and then having their daughter pull the "stuffing" out......and the poor girl reacts in shock, forgetting that turkeys lay EGGS....... There are several versions on U-Tube.

Isn't it marvelous that, 3 years later, we're able to celebrate together again? There's still talk about returning to masking as it's cold and flu season but I'm loving that we're celebrating together again.

This weekend is Thanksgiving in Canada. That's why this old thread is dug up. I didn't want to start a new one. But I wanted to wish all my fellow Cannuck-ers a very Happy Thanksgiving and all the best for the rest of 2023. I'm so very thankful to be a part of this community and feel fortunate to have been gifted so much wisdom, guidance and encouragement on my tiny-horse journey here. You are all wonderful, supportive friends (enablers!)

Cheers to you!

Isn't it marvelous that, 3 years later, we're able to celebrate together again? There's still talk about returning to masking as it's cold and flu season but I'm loving that we're celebrating together again.

This weekend is Thanksgiving in Canada. That's why this old thread is dug up. I didn't want to start a new one. But I wanted to wish all my fellow Cannuck-ers a very Happy Thanksgiving and all the best for the rest of 2023. I'm so very thankful to be a part of this community and feel fortunate to have been gifted so much wisdom, guidance and encouragement on my tiny-horse journey here. You are all wonderful, supportive friends (enablers!)

Cheers to you!
Happy Thanksgiving to all my Northern Friends

Latest posts

Back