texting

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bevann

Reaction score
Just wanted to know if anybody out there besides myself doesn't have texting on their cell phone plan.I got a cell phone many years ago since I was on the road many times by myself hauling the horses.I wanted to have a way to call for help if needed.Back then the phone was in a bag and as big as my house phone.Now I have a small flip phone that I love.I carry it in my pocket and the guys that replace the battery cringe when hay falls out of the back.I don't want 1 of the fancy screen kind since I am hard on the phone and it needs all the protection I can give it.I have the phone for emergencies and calling someone I want to have a conversation with.I am not addicted to it and never use all my minutes for the month.It serves me well when I need the vet to call me in the barn.I really don't see any need to learn texting.Any body else feel the same way?

I have it and its ok sometimesbut my oldest daughter that is all she does. IT DRIVES ME NUTS!

I text sometimes but it's nearly always to H asking would he get this or that at the store on his way home! Other than that, I probably could count on one hand the number of texts I have sent... I do have an iPhone and prior to that a Blackberry. I am used to having the internet with me most of the time, but rather than text, I call or email.

One of my primary reasons for not texting is issues with my hands.I am right handed and several years ago I developed a serious tremor in my right hand when trying to do fine motor things like signing my name or writing anything.Dozens of tests later, several neuorolgists and some AWFUL drugs(still have the tremor but not bad side effects from drugs that didn't work)I learned to do many things left handed like signing my name and other writing.I am still basically right handed but do many things with my left hand.My hand shakes so bad I couldn't text if I wanted to.The left hand works for some things but I could be dead by the tinme I got a text completed if I needed help quickly.I think I can survive without the texting.Glad to hear I'm not the only one who doesn't do it.If you want me just call-I can answer my cell phone if you don't leave too many messages.Some of the stuff on the phone I haven't figured out yet

I have the ability to text on my 'phone, but have never yet done so. I phone or email most usually. My granddaughters both text I'm sure. I don't tweet or fb either.

Lizzie

My phone is a cheap $40 one from Walmart. Pay as I go. People have somehow texted me on it (which eats my paid minutes!) But I can't text on it. I'm not a phone person. It's mostly for my hubby to call me on.

Didn't think I would like texting. So much better than calling someone to me! Hardly ever use it as a phone anymore. Saves me lots of time to just send a text!

I'm with you on this one too Bevann! I have no desire to start texting. Not saying I never will, but just have no interest in it. I've seen too many people become too addicted to that as well!
default_yes.gif

Until i got a qwerty keyboard on my phone I wasn't a "texter", but once I had that it was better than talking on the phone...I could also use it at work whereas being on the phone was not allowed...
default_rolleyes.gif
One month I had OVER 4000 texts!!
default_new_shocked.gif
But, now I text A LOT less...in fact my friends ask me sometimes if I am still alive, because I don't bombard them with texts all day like I used to...
default_wacko.png
I mostly just text Deb now...and a few friends.
default_yes.gif
Still rarely talk on the phone...
default_rolleyes.gif

I have a Droid and I use it to text. I have a sever hearing loss and being able to text really helps me. My husband and kids are at the other end of my phone if I need help. I will never text and drive as I have seen to many people do this and seen the results. I pull over if I need to read or text back.

Diane, you have an iphone, wow you are the modern woman
aktion033.gif
I love my iphone cos I have internet where ever I go and it means I can watch my horses when I am out and about. i do text and I find it less invasive than calling cos people can answer when convenient. The younger generations do drive me nuts though, I saw my 12 year old son at the park the other day with 3 friends and they were all texting
new_shocked.gif
I imagine they were trying to get hold of the girls
new_rofl.gif

I don't even have a cell phone!
default_unsure.png
No facebook, no cellphone, no texting. There just aren't that many people I want to be in constant touch with.

It was 2001 before we got E-mail or internet at home! It would have been nice to have when we were stationed overseas tho...

On the rare occasions DH or I go out of town alone, I get a "burn" cell from walmart and only use about 3 minutes from it before it expires.

Keep it simple is my motto...no texting either. Still prefer email or an old fashion phone call.
default_yes.gif

I have a cell phone I rarely use, mostly just have it for emergencies. I didnt even know I could text on it until someone texted me
default_laugh.png
I have texted my husband a couple times, but I end up putting the wrong letter and dont know where delete is so it says something like "lomve yowu too bbo2"
default_biggrin.png

Bevann, You aren't alone. I don't have texting or a cell phone. I did have a cell and no home phone here at one time but we got terrible reception. The last straw was when my husband collapsed and I had to turn on my cell to call 911. The call went through okay but I had to stand on the armrest of my couch in front of the window while my hubby was on the floor of the bedroom. Everything turned out well, but sheesh
default_smile.png

My husband has a cell and work phone and hates texting. He likes to receive them, but he doesn't have a qwerty keyboard on his phone so it's slow to reply. He always points out how annoying it is to see kids constantly on the phone. It is a bit disturbing seeing 6-year-olds on cell phones, kids running into stuff because they are on their phones, and the inability to actually talk to another human being. You know, verbally, with your voice box? lol

Tangent: I see parents getting knocked for homeschooling their kids all the time because of "socialization issues." While they are judging the homeschoolers their kids don't often speak to their peers without their phones and don't even know how to converse with an adult. (Everyone is a critic lol.)

I do not text either. I just have a simple Pay as you Go phone and happy with that. Works every where, easy to use and cheap!

Only my DH and DS have the number.... everyone else can call me on the land line.

I do not text either. I just have a simple Pay as you Go phone and happy with that. Works every where, easy to use and cheap!

Only my DH and DS have the number.... everyone else can call me on the land line.
I have exactly the same thing and I don't text. I hate typing; why do it on a phone?
default_smile.png

I have never had a cell phone and I have never texted a day in my life. I don't even know how to use a cell phone! I did try and the little buttons are way too tiny and I can't really see them anyhow and don't know what to push. I don't have a blueberry or a blackberry whatever it is and don't know what an Ipod thingy is, well I think it has music but I do know what a lap top looks like because I saw one in person. ugh....and sigh

I am so glad I am not alone! I have the GoPhone and $25 in minutes last me forever since only about 4 people even have the number. It is for emergencies. I keep it in the vehicle when traveling. Both my landline and work phone have messaging so I do not worry about missing calls. I get irritated with people constantly trying to show me pictures on their phones. Sometimes you have to ask what you are looking at. It might be a puppy, a deer, or anything else that quiet frankly you have to wonder why they think you could be remotely interested. And I love it when they say, "oh, did I show you _____ (child) dancing, cheerleading, eating something, or countless other things." You have to wonder, since you have not seen that person in 6 months why they think you saw their pictures of anything. It is like they want 10 seconds of notoriety. I guess it is just human nature. So I muster a "ohhhh" or "cute" and get the heck away. Cell phones cause so much lost productive time with employees, cause car wrecks, and cause people to just forget they actually have a life off of the phone. I can't stand to be having a meal with somebody who cannot stay off the phone. I recently got up from a dinner which I had cooked because a relative my senior kept answering calls, making calls, and texting. And don't even get me started about little kids owning them! Then there are the important "business" calls that people think they have to take while in the restaurant and then talk so loud that even the cook can hear them. Very impressive. Not.

I have a cell phone, but it is a dinosaur, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have texting capacity(even if it did, I wouldn't be using it!)I keep the cell pretty much ONLY for emergencies, or to have along when I leave the house alone; I have had the same one for about 9-10? years now, have the cheapest monthly plan Verizon offered at the time(and doesn't offer anymore, I'm pretty sure), and I've never come close to using the minutes it provides, but have stuck with it because of the great 'coverage' that Verizon offers, because when I DO need it, I expect it to WORK! Nothing irritates me more than having the person on the other end of the line start to 'skip', and/or disappear, right in the middle of a conversation...and this still happens all too often, in my experience, with cell phones!I don't give out my cell number, because I don't keep it with me OR turned on except on rare occasions, so what would be the point? I usually don't even own up to having a cell phone!

This AM on the 'Today' show, an ADDICTION expert spoke about how damaging it can be to become addicted to electronic devices, how they can interfere with social skills, and how important it is to set non-negotiable limits on their use, esp. for your children. He advocated that your kids should NOT have any kind of 'Smart' phone until they are old enough to get a driver's license, for one thing...also that you should set firm and enforced limits on times and places that these things can be used. Pretty common sense advice.

Margo

Back