Texas Folks

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyo

Reaction score
Question for all of you familiar with transporting horses into or out of Texas.

It is my understanding that there is additional testing that needs to be done on horses either coming into or leaving Texas due to a tick borne illness. Could you fill me in?

Thanks,

Gary

Piroplasmosis is the disease. I don't think all states require the test, but some do. Florida is one of them.

I can tell you that if we want to bring a Texas horse (or New Mexico horse--NM has piroplasmosis too) into Canada the piro test has to be done within 15 days of the horse coming into Canada. We also need an import permit and the horse has to be inspected at the border by our federal vet. The health papers also must include an additional statement that the horse has been inspected for ticks & has been found to not have any.

What is much easier for us is to have the horse moved out of TX or NM & have him stay in another state--any one that does not have piroplasmosis--for 21 days. Once the horse has been out of TX or NM for 21 days he doesn't not need to have the piro test and does not need the import permit or the border vet inspection, he can just come into Canada the same way as always. It is MUCH easier to leave the horse in a northern state for those 21 days than to have to get all that extra paperwork!!

I just sold one to AL and the buyer didn't mention anything other than a Health Certif and Coggins. I imagine each state is different.

Latest posts

Back