Texas Fires

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellerroseintx

Reaction score
As you all probably know by now we are in the worst drought since the 1800s...on top of that, Hurricane Lee gave us high winds that have sparked wildfires. Currently in Texas there are 63 fires burning uncontained. The biggest is in the Bastrop area which started Sunday...16 miles long and four miles wide...over 500 homes have already been destroyed and thousands seeking shelter. ...all this plus animals trying to be moved to safer locations.It is mind boggling. We are close to Fort Hood ... also having wildfires...but not in any danger so far and hope to stay that way...but so many are...and it breaks my heart. I have not heard from Little America as of yet..he is in Buda, near Austin so would like to know his status plus any other farms that might be affected by this. We don't have a lot of space but I will make room for horses if needed. Please take a moment and Pray for these families and animals that are without the things we all take for granted every day. ..in a blink of an eye homes/barns/memories/traditions/ your safety....gone. When you have 10 minutes to evacuate...what a terrifying ordeal that must be. Fire is a non forgiving engulfing entity with a life all its own. I know there are many farms in Texas and a few in that general area..let us know you are ok....

Praying for all of you in Texas and Oklahoma, that drought and the fires, yikes, I can't even imagine.
default_sad.png
I've been wondering about Tony too, with that huge fire near Austin, last I read it was 200,000 acres and still going strong.
default_new_shocked.gif
Terrifying!!

I believe Tony was on Facebook yesterday morning.

I'm praying for everyone involved. So scary.

My thoughts are with those at risk. It is truly terrifying when half the state is burning down around you. I hope everyone gets out safely.

No, nothing about the fires at all. He was just on doing normal fb stuff. Sorry there isn't more to report. I would assume if things were bad or threatening for them, he would have said something or not be spending time piddling on fb. But it's just a guess on my part.

So did he give an update or something -- for those of us that don't "do" Facebook regularly, or at all????

Prayers for those involved coming from Florida.
default_pray.gif

Praying for those in Tx. It is such a devastating and sad situation down there.

We are ok here in Bowie County. Cass County just down the road had lots of acreage and some homes lost to fire this weekend though. There have been several fires here in the county but luckily so far not as bad as other parts of the state. There are so many dead trees everywhere. I am noticing huge ones on the right of ways that literally look like they are going to fall out in the highway or even worse into power lines. Heard a good one today: "it's so dry the cattle ranchers are selling beef jerky on the hoof."

We have not been directly threatened by the fires, but it's still terrifying to look around you and see smoke in almost every direction. There was not a cloud over the state of Texas yesterday but our sky was gray and hazy all day from smoke. The biggest fire, the one around Bastrop, is partially contained but still over 20,000 acres burning earlier today. Hope they get the big plane up tomorrow and drop fire retardant on it. That one has now consumed 1400 homes. A good bit of the area is heavily wooded with pine trees which apparently can explode with flames, that added to the wind and dry conditions has just made it an incredible disaster. There has been very little loss of life to date, have not heard a count of animals missing or injured but I know a lot of people have been working around the clock to evacuate and care for them. Lots of good people here.
default_smile.png

We are about 45 minutes/an hour north of the Bastrop fire, and Tony is to the east of where it is burning, a little closer than us. I know a number of horse people have been evacuated closer to Houston, including Gerald & Bettye Wells. Have not heard whether they are back home.

The weather forecast calls for dry weather over us for the foreseeable future, including a La Nina that will keep us drier than normal through early 2012...we are already losing trees & pastures, and water tables are falling. I guess at this rate there may not be much to burn before long!

Jan

Prayers to all of you in Texas. I hope you get some relief soon.

I wish we could send you some of our rain. We have an over abundance of rain here in SE PA. and everything is flooded everywhere.

I would like to add our prayers for all of our Texas friends. Jan, I have just spoken to Bettye and she and Gerald are fine. They are back home now, along with the horses, and frantically trying to catch up on all of their preparations for the World Show. We made many friends in the Columbus area during our stay, and we do hope you all come through this testing time ok.
default_pray.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I live about 20 miles south of Little America and that area and mine are fine although we all had heavy smoke a few days ago from the Bastrop fires. Bastrop is about 50 miles north of me. There were other fires west of Austin and out by the lakes above Austin at the same time as Bastrop. I have friends in Magnolia and Waller area which is north west of Houston and many have been evacuated. One of my good friends has evacuated twice and finally has decided to send most of his animals to friends until things settle down - we all are wondering if they will and those of us who are lucky not to have been near a fire wonder how much longerour luck hold. It is so so dry we all could be the next fire victims.

Elizabeth

We have not been directly threatened by the fires, but it's still terrifying to look around you and see smoke in almost every direction. There was not a cloud over the state of Texas yesterday but our sky was gray and hazy all day from smoke. The biggest fire, the one around Bastrop, is partially contained but still over 20,000 acres burning earlier today. Hope they get the big plane up tomorrow and drop fire retardant on it. That one has now consumed 1400 homes. A good bit of the area is heavily wooded with pine trees which apparently can explode with flames, that added to the wind and dry conditions has just made it an incredible disaster. There has been very little loss of life to date, have not heard a count of animals missing or injured but I know a lot of people have been working around the clock to evacuate and care for them. Lots of good people here.
default_smile.png

We are about 45 minutes/an hour north of the Bastrop fire, and Tony is to the east of where it is burning, a little closer than us. I know a number of horse people have been evacuated closer to Houston, including Gerald & Bettye Wells. Have not heard whether they are back home.

The weather forecast calls for dry weather over us for the foreseeable future, including a La Nina that will keep us drier than normal through early 2012...we are already losing trees & pastures, and water tables are falling. I guess at this rate there may not be much to burn before long!

Jan

great update Jan...thank you so much and do stay safe...

Latest posts

Back