Tetanus Vaccination

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carly Rae

Reaction score
Hello,

In the next few weeks I am getting my Kevin gelded. We also have a rescue horse living here called Banjo, and his owner Tenae wants him gelded as well. And its cheaper for both of us in vet travel fees if we get them both done on the same day.

Anyway, we called some vets and they said they require the horse to have their Tetanus Vaccination, and we looked it up and there is 3 shots, 2 weeks apart to completely cover the horse, but we are unsure if they need to be fully vaccinated before, but we also read that the vet can give them this special vaccine before the castration, that covers them for 3 weeks, then you carry out the rest later.

Tenae and I went to a few horse stores and produce stores, and we found they had a 2 in 1 vaccine for Tetanus and strangles.

We didn't end up asking about it, but we wanted to know if we can vaccinate them ourselves? Or do you have to be qualified for it.

Tenae has done something to do with Equine vaccination at University i think?

So does anyone know if we can vaccinate them, or do you need a qualified vet? We assumed only a vet could do it, but we were unsure because the vaccine was for sale for all people.

Thanks in advance
default_smile.png

Tetanus vaccine is sold here as part of a combination-shot (such as a 4-way or 5-way, etc.) or can be purchased totally separate. Not sure about Australia. But you should be able to do your own. I vaccinate in the "triangle" in the neck. Here is a good article with pictures of injection sites. http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-1018/index2.tmpl

If I get a horse gelded and he hasn't yet had his tetanus vaccine fir the year the vet gives it at time of gelding. If the horse is a new one that has never been vaccinated then I give the booster 3 to 4 weeks later. (I usually geld in March, which is too early for our regular annual vaccines). I wouldnt have the vet out just for vaccines since I so my own.

Some people have reservations about using vaccines from sources other than the vet. If it hasn't been stored or transported properly, one would never know.

I would not risk giving any combination vaccines before the surgery, such as the one with strangles. I would just get tetanus, if that is what is required. Why compromise the immune system before a surgery?

You can do the tetanus yourself easily. That series of tetanus shots is new to me. It was my understanding that an animal received the tetanus vaccine then gets a booster periodically, or if he has an injury.

We vaccinate our own horses with a vaccine that includes the tetanus (a 5-way). And when our vet does the gelding procedure he always gives them an extra tetanus shot.

And if you and your friend's horses are up to date with their shots, I'm not sure why the vet is recommending THREE shots. Also, if the horses are UTD, I agree with Marsha and just give the tetanus only prior to the procedure. It takes about 2 weeks for it to go completely through their system. I suggest letting the vet know what the horses have received. Yes, they can be OVER vaccinated which can be counter-productive.

Thank you all very much
default_smile.png

Both of them haven't been vaccinated for Tetanus at all yet. So using the combination vaccine before surgery isn't a good idea. Maybe if I waited and let the vet give him the shot before he gelds him, then after I carry out the others, but still use the 2 in 1, or would it be better to try find the tetanus vaccine alone, rather with the one with strangles? Or should I get him vaccinated just for Tetanus, before the whole surgery and then have the vet out to castrate him?

Sorry for all the questions, this is all new to me.

Thanks Jean_B for the link!
default_smile.png

I do not vaccinate for strangles so I wouldn't buy that one but that is personal preference. Here our tetanus vaccine comes with WEE and EEE (other combos available but those are the 3 basics ones) and that is what I use. If it were me I would ask the vet to give the first dose at time of surgery then I would give whatever boosters I need to give in a month's time. Ask the vet what shots he recommends and find out which ones need boosters this first year.

I would just get the one to begin with. If you are planning on taking him out to events with other horses present then Id consider the Strangles vaccine aswell.
default_smile.png

I did some research and your protocols in Australia are different then here in the USA. I had never heard of combining Strangles and Tetanus before. I found two documents (neither appears to be current, though) that support it in Australia.

http://murraybridgevet.com.au/portals/murraybridgevet/Forms/Equine%20Vaccinations.pdf

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/150815/horse-health-vaccination-against-tetanus-and-strangles.pdf

What I do here is to have my mares get their vaccines updated approximately 6-8 weeks before they deliver their foals (I do these. I give what I call the "mosquito shot" - which is a combo of Eastern & Western Encephalitis and Tetanus or 3-way. Used to be a 4-way with West Nile as well, but I'm no longer giving that. In yrs when our Vet School recommends vaccinating against VEE, I get the combo with it as well). Then when the foal is born, they get a Tetanus Anti-toxin vaccine. This is a strong and immediate acting version of Tetanus. It is supposed to last until they are old enough to get their normal start of vaccines which includes Tetanus again and then yes, they get it in a series of boosters of 3 vaccines - similar to what your protocol's seem to be - though ours now start at 4 months of age, not 3 months.

We don't give Strangles vaccines and once upon a time, it was usually only given by the vet. Personally, I don't mess with live vaccines much and I always found that when our horses did get a Strangles vaccine, they all got sick with some type of upper respiratory "thing" (strangles? or ?). I've never given it to the ponies, since 1995, none of them have ever gotten one while with me. Strangles vaccines now come in a killed form, too, but are sold separately not combined with any other vaccines.

When our 4 ponies were out on the show trail in 2012 & 2013 - with trainers' in other states - I know that 1 did receive Strangles vaccine and the boosters since he'd never been given it before. The other 3, I was never told exactly what they were vaccinated against nor given any records.

For castration here, we either have the ponies current on Tetanus OR we go ahead and give the Tetanus Anti-Toxin the day of Surgery and then follow up with the updates as needed.

Edited to ADD - Since 2009, I've purchased 14 Shetland ponies. Of those, only 3 owners of 4 ponies have ever provided me with a record of vaccinations, worming & farrier appointments the pony has received. Some have had coggins and health certificates, most have not. I've just started the ponies on the vaccines we give and kept records of those for ours. People who have purchased ponies from us have been surprised to receive the "books" from me that include vet, farrier, feed & show records. Some of this has been in the form of printouts from the vet's office or a chart showing dates they got what/when & all the coggins yellow copies. I used to provide a book of copied pictures as well, now I send them with a CD or "stick" that contains digital pics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back