Tetanus shots for mares and foals?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blazingstarranch

Reaction score
I was wondering, what does everyone do in regards to vaccinating broodmares and/newborn foals? I would love to hear from other breeders on this, as I have gotten a few different opinions that has me concerned. Thanks so much!!!

I'm sure some others will join in here but I never inoculated the newborns, I did the mares so it would transfer immunity to the foal. The foal getting the proper colostrum is crucial.

my post last nite didn't go up...
default_sad.png

I "try" to give a booster shot or "spring" shots based on when the mares are due. About 6 weeks out, I update them with their "mosquito" and tetanus shot. (WN, EW, T).

Then I get the tetanus for the single dose (or vet does it if I have vet out to check foals - doesn't always happen) to the foal on foaling day.

Then they get theri first shots when vet says they get the WN, EW, T shot and boosters. Usually at 4 & 5 months.

I always vaccinated my mares annually, and immediately after the foal was born, I would give it a tetanus antitoxin shot under the skin.

My aim is to give the mares their pre-foaling (spring) shots about 30 days before foaling. Mares don't always foal when we expect though, so it has been all the way from the DAY OF foaling to way more than 30 days. But the idea is for the foals to get their immunity from mom, not from their own shots, until they are weaned. After they are weaned at 4 months or so, the foals get their own shots.

ETA: I also always have the foal's IgG level checked the day after birth.

Last edited by a moderator:
we will give spring shots 30 days pre foaling if it closer to spring when they would be due

this year we had a foal due in Feb the mare received her tetnas right after foaling , and the foal her tetnas antitoxin the day after foaling

we will do the same with our mare due in March because its too early to waste the spring shots as its still cold here

Here it is just as paintponylvr (Paula) described in post #4.

Give the mares their shots 1 month before they are due and foals a 4-Way that includes Tetanus when they are 6 months old.

Thank you all so much! Does anyone feel that there is a wrong way to do it? I had always aimed for a tetanus at springtime, trying to time it with foaling season and then give the baby the tetanus antitoxin under the skin the day of foaling. That was the way I did it with the big guys anyhow. I know minis are different, and I want to make sure we do everything right.

Thanks!!!
default_xreiter.gif

Just a note as I know some new folks may not know this. Many people give foals Tetanus shots at birth but this is not a tetanus vaccination, it is tetanus antitoxin to stop any tetanus exposure that may have occured at birth thru the umbilical cord. It does not provide long term protection, it just helps protect the foal until antibodies from the mares colostrum kick in.

Just a note as I know some new folks may not know this. Many people give foals Tetanus shots at birth but this is not a tetanus vaccination, it is tetanus antitoxin to stop any tetanus exposure that may have occured at birth thru the umbilical cord. It does not provide long term protection, it just helps protect the foal until antibodies from the mares colostrum kick in.
THANX! That's why I needed to look to see what we actually gave to the foal "at" birth. I couldn't remember (I go thru this one every year...LOL). Have no idea WHY I can't remember the facts about the Tetanus shots that I give -
default_whistling.gif

It also caught me by surprise as I usually give our IM and so does our vet - in the butt muscles.

Latest posts

Back