testing for color

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellerroseintx

Reaction score
ok...call me stupid..but what exactly does all the color testing prove to you? What are the benefits to knowing who is what? How do you know which horses to test....this is very interesting to me but I feel so clueless. If someone has a free moment would you look at my website horses and advice on who should be tested and why? Thank you, Kathye

just wanted to add the little red and white mare in my avatar, all of the sorrel is interlaced with white hairs which seem to be spreading although she is out of a black and white mare....sabino??

Last edited by a moderator:
Color factor testing is beneficial because it tells you things that you don't know about the horse or prooves the horse is or is not a certain color, it gives you a better idea of what colors that horse can produce in it's foals and with that information you can breed to horses of certain colors which gives you a better chance of getting a certain color.

For example, if you have a chestnut/sorrel horse that has one or two bay parents, you could test it for Agouti. Agouti is the gene that controls Bay. Because the horse is chestnut it could have Agouti and not show it as Agouti only effects black pigment, chestnut horses only have red pigment. If the chestnut horse has Agouti it can reproduce bay offspring when bred to a horse that is black. If the chestnut has two bay parents it could even be homozygous for bay, meaning every foal it ever produces will have Agouti and those that are black based will be bay.

More examples; It is often difficult to tell if a horse that is a double Cream dilute is a Cremello, Perlino or Smoky Black because the three colors can be very similar, red factor & Agouti testing clears up any confusion. True grey horses or max white horses can be another tough one but by taking advantage of the color testing available you can have much better idea of what that horse can reproduce color-wise. The list of what color testing can prove goes on and on....

And of course there is the one color test that is very important if the horse is pinto and/or has pinto background - the LWO test. When two LWO positive horses are bred there is a 25% chance of the foal being a Lethal White.

Sometimes certain color tests for certain horses are not necessary. There wouldn't be any need to red factor test a horse that is chestnut (truly chestnut not a silver bay, etc.), or if you have a horse that is bay, really no need for any tests on this one unless you wanted to know if it was heterozygous or homozygous for red factor. With colors like these the color testing isn't really nessesary unless you want to know right now - you can just sit back and wait to see what color foals are produced rather than spend the money on a color test. Heck I waited for two foal crops to see what color one of our stallions was rather than spend the money on getting him tested.
rolleyes.gif

I don't know the backgrounds on any of your horses or what they've produced so this is just my opinion based on the photos...

Harley & Levi - if either of these horses has two bay/bay based parents you could get them tested for Agouti to see if they are heterozygous or homozygous. Because they are physically bay/bay based we already know they are at least heterozygous for Agouti. If either only has one bay/bay based parent don't bother w/ the test.

Sam - I would LWO test this guy.

Bay B - According to the AMHA studbook both parents are bay so I would test her for Agouti.

Poca - test for LWO.

Shortycake - LWO test & if either or both parents are bay/bay based, Agouti test

For color testing I always recommend UC Davis because they are a reputable lab and if they make a mistake they admit it and redo it for no charge - there are other labs that can't say they do that.
no.gif
http://vgl.ucdavis.edu/service/horse/coatcolor.html

They do red factor & Agouti testing as one test for $50, after that any additional tests (on the same horse) are $25. LWO tests are $25 and Cream tests are $25.

There is another lab that allowed itself to be blind tested against UC Davis and scored 100% but I can't remember their name right now. I'll look for it and post it later, I believe their testing is $25 per test also.

Edited: OK here is the other lab: Pet DNA Services of AZ - http://www.petdnaservicesaz.com/Equine.html

Thank you for such a wonderful in depth answer to my question...I am sure there are others that will benefit from you knowledge also..thanks!!!

Harley is out of a palomino pinto and a silver dapple daddy

Levi is out of a buckskin(maybe dun) mare and a red daddy, Levi has white hairs thruout

Shorty is out of a black and white mare and a bay daddy

Bay B has clusters of white spots/hairs all over her body and also black spots...?? She has had 3 bay fillys and a gray and white boy, I do not know what they bred her too tho. She is in foal now to a grey and white pinto***so since she has had 3 bays she carrys agouti??/

color is facinating and CONFUSING..eh?

Great information! I just had some of my horses tested a few weeks ago and learned a lot. I used Animal Genetics Inc
aktion033.gif
http://www.equinecolortesting.com/ and had great results. I also sent them some samples of horses I had tested a UC Davis and they where 100%. Results where available on their web-site a few days after they got them. Anyhow, most labs seem to be pretty reliable these days and the results are a lot of fun to get.

Cheers
saludando.gif

Harley is out of a palomino pinto and a silver dapple daddy
Well one of Harley's parents had to have been a dun because he is dun. I'd have to see photos to be sure but I'm guessing the dun probably comes from the dam since silver dapple + dun is usually very easily recognized where as palomino + dun can sometimes result in light dun factor that gets overlooked. If his sire is silver dapple then the agouti that is making Harley bay based must be coming from his dam (the Agouti would be hidden as she is red based) and he would be heterozygous for Agouti, no need to test.

Levi is out of a buckskin(maybe dun) mare and a red daddy, Levi has white hairs thruout
If his sire has a bay/bay based parent then it's possible that Agouti was passed along to Levi's sire but unless you want to spend $25 for the test it's probably safe to assume that he's heterozygous for Agouti. His white hairs are probably being caused by Sabino.

Shorty is out of a black and white mare and a bay daddy
I would have to see photos to tell if either parent possibly has Frame. Even so, because Frame likes to be sneaky it's always safest to test.

Bay B has clusters of white spots/hairs all over her body and also black spots...?? She has had 3 bay fillys and a gray and white boy, I do not know what they bred her too tho. She is in foal now to a grey and white pinto***so since she has had 3 bays she carrys agouti??
We know she has Agouti because she is bay physically. The foal that was "grey" - was it born another color & turned grey or was it a silver dapple, born a light biscuit or greyish color? If the foal was silver dapple then it does not have Agouti meaning Bay B is heterozygous for Agouti. The white hairs are probably being caused by Sabino and the black spots are probably Bend Or spots.

Sarah...wow..thank you also for your time and input...yes, Harleys mama is a dun although her papers call her a palomino..she looks like a palomino but has a faint dorsal and smutty shading on her knees above her white legs.

In your personal opinion do any of these horses have the possibility of throwing color if in fact some do test positive for, lets say sabino or frame..or does it come from WHO I would breed to more than what they carry........
no.gif

Latest posts

Back