Test Results for ChaCha - My hardkeeper PHOTOS ADDED AT BOTTOM

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would do the power pack again we had several mares and colts this of way after the warm winter we had. They are back up on their weight.

Yup I agree with the power pack. We had a horse that was dropping weight and power packed him and it was disgusting to say the least, I won't go into detail. I would for sure have those little teeth checked. I must have missed it but, there is no possibility of ulcers? I will just ask questions that most likely have been asked before because I am blind as a bat.

Cricket: no worries! We just finished 30 day Gastro-Guard treatment. She had her teeth done in early March but I am having him come out again next Wednesday to check everything he can.

I have probably missed this somewhere but: Have you checked for lice and ticks (and other similar buggies)? Is she pastured and fed alone or with others (could someone be stealing her feed)?

I know how tough it is to have a sick baby and I am wishing you all the luck in the world in getting diagnosis and a good prognosis.

I had an experience where the dentist I was using missed some significant problems. An experience miniature vet was able to sedate the horse and deal with some hooks and points way in the back that the dentist had missed. And this happened on more than one horse. You might want to get a second opinion.

Do you know if this boy ever had foundered? Man I hope you figure things out for him.

Barnmother: I separate her to feed her any grain or (trying to feed) beet pulp because what I feed her no one else needs (calories/fat). She gets pasture time when the rest do not. I alternate stalling so that she is either stalled with her own supply of hay or the rest are stalled and she has her own supply of hay. I've been lucky so far that ticks and lice haven't come for a visit yet. I just clipped her yesterday so I was all over her and saw nothing.

Valshingle: You make a good point. Unfortunately, this equine dentist of our was the ONLY one who responded to my calls. And am I ever glad. He doesn't have extensive mini experience, but he is as thorough and dedicated as one could be. He is an absolute godsend when it comes to how well he works with our horses. He NEVER rushes through an exam...he has spent over an hour working slowly and thoroughly with just one horse. Because of our becoming his clients, and my referring other mini owners to him, he has purchased a mini sized speculum and added to his collection of mini sized floats (he already had a couple when he first came to us). And he's made it his priority to be sure he has all he can in the way of information on the needs of a mini. If I had any doubts or if there any other options, I would consider the second opinion. Instead, an xray of her head is probably the best next step if its determined the problem may be there.

muffntuf: To our knowledge, she has never foundered.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. I so appreciate the time and thought everyone is putting into this. Right now, we're looking at our options. I want to take the advice of our vet and take her up to New Bolton Equine Center, but my husband is balking at the costs. She *is* eating better, which is making me feel a little better as well.

Our hard keeper turned out to have eosinophillic enteritis - and her skin was also affected with chronic lympho-eosinophillic dermatitis. The two were connected.

She came to us from Texas with some odd patches on her skin and a tendency to have "colic" symptoms... she was in foal at the time and I hoped the foal was just causing her discomfort. No meds seemed to help her. Banamine did not give her relief. The "colic" came and went. Good for a week, then a bad night. Then 2 good days. Then another bad night - during which she would often lay on her back with her front legs folded up. After that foal was weaned and she had trouble picking up weight, we had her U/Sed etc. at the equine hospital. The ultrasounds showed a section of her small intestine had thickened walls and allowed only a small bit of food to get through. She had surgery to remove the 4 feet of her small intestine that was affected, had a strict worming protocol to follow - and slowly began to blossom again - although she was always a picky eater and the skin issues occurred on and off until fall & winter. After 2 years, she was cleared to breed again - and suddenly, during her pregnancy the same symptoms began to reappear. No upside-down episodes - but everything else was the same to me. I felt it was the same thing occurring again. This time - the weight came off her as if she was melting.

The filly was weaned early at 2 months and is doing well. Another exam of the mare at the hospital showed that her entire small intestine is now affected. We brought her home as we figure she should be comfortable and with friends in the time she has left. She has probably had a low level of pain for the past few years - long before she came to us as well... so I keep her comfortable and tempt her with goodies and hand graze her on the lush lawn in the evenings. She will graze with all the enthusiasm she can muster for eating of any kind - and she has actually put on a bit of weight. If any strangers saw her, they would think she was a neglect case - at one point she had a BCS of 2. I would put her at a 3 - 3.5 now. Any progress is great!

Her eyes are bright, she seems relaxed and content for the moment. She actually bucked and ran across the pasture when she was turned out this morning! She is on steroids and they seem to be helping. Her little filly is in the next field with the other foals - and they visit through the fence to comfort each other - but neither one stresses when the other wanders off.

We are not kidding ourselves - there is no cure and her time is limited - and as soon as I see her fading or showing me she is in pain and no longer willing to go on, I will hold her as the vet sends her on her way. We are monitoring her carefully and will not let her suffer.
default_no.gif

As I type, she is out under the pine tree in the shade, grazing side by side with her chubby BFF...
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back