Tennesee dwellers tell me about your area

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backwoodsnanny

Reaction score
We are finally ready to begin our search for a place to retire to and raise our horses and both of us think we want to come to Tennesee and the rest of the family may come with us so here is my question. We need to be within 30 miles of a place where work can be found. We want to be away from Big Cities we have always lived rural so tell me about your area of Tennesee and please include the County or a website where I can read more. I will be looking for a place within the next 6 months to a year and we would prefer an already constructed house we dont want to build.Been there done that but we can do major fix up if needed.

Marty its for real this time. And there may be 3 families of us coming. lol I am particularly interested to hear from northerners who went south. Thanks in advance!!!!!!

Thank you for your response now how about those of you who live in more rural areas other than this one? Tell me about your transition to southern living.

Try this website. It's how we found our farm. You can enter specific counties, acreage size, etc. in your search. It is for the Smoky Mountain areas and is the website used by the Knoxville Area Association of Realtors.

Our county, Monroe County, is decent. We're about 30-45 minutes from Knoxville and about an hour from Chattanooga. We live in Sweetwater, which has about 6000 residents. If you want to search in Monroe County, I would search Sweetwater, Madisonville, Vonore and Tellico Plains. There's some nice property to be found here.

If I can help any further, let me know!

Knoxville Area Association of Realtor Property Locator

I haven't found an area in Tennessee yet that I don't like.

Ideally, I would have liked to be over by Winchester, Shelbyville, Manchester areas where it's flat, and they have everything right there but I kinda got stuck here where there is much of nothing and that turned out fine.

As you know I'm in the mountains, very rural and nothing around me except good people up here. You couldn't drag me off this mountain now. The most thing in the mountains you'd experience would be culture shock. You have to learn not to freak out at everything you see such as these loose pigs that keep visiting me and roaming about and no one is claiming them. sigh. I get everything showing up in my yard seems like cows or horses get loose on a regular basis. You call around and eventually someone will come get them but might take them a few days or so. Mostly I love the quiet. I need quiet in my life and peace so I am in the right place for that. I am in a poverty stricken county and some still don't have indoor plumbing and live in shacks. You'll pass some really gorgeous big spendy money homes, and then regular type homes and then have a shack here and one there in between; doesn't matter, everyone puts their pants on the same way here. No one will judge you unless you come up here with an attitude like you are better, then you will be shunned quickly. When you are on the road, everyone that passes you will wave. You'll make friends at the gas pumps or in the general store. People will just come up to you and start talking, and everyone will invite you to their church. Needless to say, when someone messes with you or yours, the community will rally behind you in a big way.

Tons of out of staters are moving up here to the mountains and there is work around. Great place for horses of course, mine are thriving and happy and we actually got an equine vet last year finally. That's huge. And also a mini-Walmart and now we are getting a Walgreens. For mall stuff we go to Chattanooga but who needs mall stuff anyway? There is building going on everywhere which is keeping us fed, loads of new pretty homes going up in the mountains.

You'll have your choice of valley VS mountains where I am. Valleys tend to flood a bit in rainy season, it's low land and mountains render you stuck at home in icy or snowy weather until it melts off. Do I look like I care? Nope, I just prepare ahead of time and keep the weather scanner close. It's no big deal when you get the hang of it.

Ginny St. Pierre from CMHR moved by me last year and got a great place. She is right off my road actually on the other side of the mountain here but we are in different countys. I'm working on Gini Acton now.
default_biggrin.png

PS: I still do not eat gravy and biscuits or corn bread
default_wink.png

http://www.cityofdunlap.com

http://www.ilstu.edu/~sgkuntz/research/IntroSequatchie.html

http://www.sequatchievalleyrealestate.com/

sigh

you can't move
default_mlala.gif

Hillary is thinking about moving too

who would I be friends with? who would go to shows with me?
default_crybaby.gif

[SIZE=12pt]Tam is steering you to a beautiful area of TN - our future home will be in Tellico Plains which is about 25 minutes from Tam and Dan's farm in Sweetwater. With Tam's help we lucked into a really nice 5 acre farm with an old barn on it - no house, so we'll be building. We spent Christmas week cleaning up around our barn up there. I can't wait - just have to sell our home and 5 acres here in Parrish, FL and we're out of here and on our way to our little piece of heaven. We'll be no more than an hour from Knoxville and probably about the same from Cleveland/Chattanooga.[/SIZE]

Good luck and have fun looking!!

Barbie

Thanks to all of you who replied and gave me links since hubby will be retiring we really dont know what areas are rural and what areas are city though research has helped. We do want to be rural and as for culture shock I think NOT. Central Maine was very much as Marty describes 30 years ago not any more though. Tracy dont worry not going to happen overnight I have 35 years of accumulation to go through but it is in the final planning stages and truthfully with $3000 in real estate taxes its not feasible to stay here on retirement pay even if he works a part time job which he will do no matter where we go. Cant have him home with me all the time. lol Thank you for caring though.

Being a native Tennessean, the state is quite diverse. Since Tennessee does not have income tax and moderate climate the state has seen a huge influx of new residents from Florida, California and New England. There are alot of rurel area once you get away from the larger cities. Property values and job availabiltiy vary greatly from area to area. Middle Tennessee (the Nashville area) has had tremedous growth in both jobs and real estate. You might want to decide what type of climate and land would best suit your needs. East Tennessee has the Smoky and Appalachian mountains along with valleys with view of the mountains. Middle Tennessee is more rolling hills and west Tennessee is flat. The weather gets warmer the further west you go.

Latest posts

Back