Ten reasons you know you are selling the wrong horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one

# 11 When someone inquires about said horse for sale and you mention everything bad said horse has ever done in attempts to discourage potential buyer !

I could never bring myself to sell one of mine.
I've done that before, lol. When my ex made me sell a horse I wrote the ad something like "Breeding stock paint mare, solid plain bay, 3 year old. Won't stand tied, breaks every halter I put on her. Won't stand still for farrier. Started under saddle but colicked at training farm and got sent home. Hates being in stalls, kicks walls until boards fall out (that is why she colicked at the training farm, freaking out from being in a stall). Leads well, loves people, put together well, no major vices just generally annoying. Alpha in the pasture, kicks the daylights out of any horse that doesn't think she should rule the roost. Nice bloodlines if you go back far enough, bunch of no-nothings close up."

The guy who bought her said the ad made him laugh so hard he had to call. It backfired, he fell in love with her. That was 12 years ago, I drive past her 2 times a week and she is fat, sassy, and obviously well loved and cared for. I didn't want to let her go but she did find a good home. I ended up buying my mini from a member of the family of the guy who bought her. They said she still won't stand tied, if you try she sits back and breaks the halter... but otherwise they couldn't be happier with her. They just don't tie her. If they toss her rope over something she will stand there fine.
default_rolleyes.gif

when it immediately sells and you get several offers following the one that just bought it. (That's also how you know you should have asked for more!
default_wink.png
)

I have two-

When you have decided that you need to let someone go so decide to lease and have someone very interested... you "forget" to reply to the email during the process or take more than a "few" days getting back with answers (still feeling awful about not being right back to interested person but your just having a hard time just opening email and making arrangements or talking about it).

When you tell yourself "well, I'd like to geld him first.... I should wait till it's warmer, cooler, colder ect"

default_smile.png

Tammie

I'll tell you. I had been looking for months for the right stallion. I was being very careful asking probably too many questions, asking for pictures,as I wanted to select "Mr. Right" , not "Mr. Right for Now" Its amazing how many people do not get back to you, or never send promised pictures or promised videos. I just have to assume they are having second thoughts about selling the horse( which I can understand)

Robin

ps.

who are you "thinking" of selling?

Oh Marty, just do like me. Sell the horse and buy it back later. I seem to be doing this more lately......
Oh yeah Becky and Marty. I seem to have gone into this mode too! We have 3 'bought backs' now and I'm trying to figure a way to finagle another one back here. And then we kept 3 fillies from last year... NEVER DONE THAT BEFORE! So I know our babies from this year will all have to be sold because we don't have anymore ROOM!
default_sad.png

Someone on page one mentioned telling all the BAD stuff and 'forgetting' the good points.....
default_yes.gif
I've found myslef doing that before and Frank looking at me like'Are you crazy?'!
default_biggrin.png

Charlotte

Latest posts

Back