Tempur-pedic

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oops, forgot to type in my question. I have been thinking about getting one of these. Some reviews say they make you hot/sweat. Anyone have any experience with these. Looking at their website, there are different varieties that range from $1500-4200 for a queen size....big difference in price. So is there really much difference in comfort. Thanks for any replies.

I do not have to have the Tempur-pedic name so if you have a different brand, what kind is it?

Hi, Sonya --

Just in case others are following (since I already told you), we have a laytex foam mattress and we've had it for over 2 years (maybe three years??? I have lost track of time!). We got it from a retailer local to us that makes them. It has a pillow top but is 100 laytex (ie, not just the pillow top). We LOVE it! It is still as comfortable as when we got it and I think it's like sleeping on a cloud. The only down side is it is a little hotter than our traditional mattress was. However, I cannot stand to sleep in anything other than 100% cotton sheets. Poly blend is too hot and uncomfortable to me, and this is nothing like the way it feels to sleep in synthetic sheets.

Good luck!

Jill

I have 1 and LOVE it.It is a big investment.I wanted to be sure before spending so much money.some hotels have them so I found a hotel about 60 miles from me, made a reservation for 1 night, fed the horses and did all nightly animal chores, drove to the motel and spent the night sleeping on the Tempurpedic mattress, got up early and drove home in time to feed the animals and do the chores.Next day I went to the dept store that had them to sell(included free delivery and taking old set from upstairs. A really good investment.I plan to get another one when I can no longer go upstiars and have to install a Murphy bed in my family room for downstairs sleeping.I am very hot natured and have no trouble sleeping on it.I also have slept on a Sleep Number mattress 1 year in Branson,MO at AMHR convention.It was ok, but I prefer the Tempurpedic.To find hotels with Tempurpedic I just searched on google

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Bevann. If I could find one that would let me return it if I don't like it that would be great. We get hot at night and we set our temp to 64 all year around at night and we still get hot sometimes. Someone suggested I try the sleep number as you can try it for 60 days and return it if you don't like it.

I LOVE mine. Takes a while to get used to (or at least it did for me) but once I did, I'd never give it up.

Just wanted to share a story about memory foam mattresses. We went away on a trip in middle of winter in Vermont, shut the house down and when we returned, the mattress was frozen solid - like a block of ice. Never been so cold in my life and it took a couple of days for it to thaw. BRRRRR!!! It was quite an experience but when it thawed, it was fine.
default_yes.gif

I did find one made by Serta, its called the icomfort genius...it is supposedly 7 times cooler than most memory foams...might go check it out...nice thing is it's 50% off right now so I have to hurry, don't want to make a hasty decision though.

So I guess with these foams they just hold in the temp good (either hot from your body or freezing from a cold house)?

After we got ours, my mom said that she read there is a suspected linked to breast cancer? Just in case you might want to check that out before you get one.

After we got ours, my mom said that she read there is a suspected linked to breast cancer? Just in case you might want to check that out before you get one.
WHAT? Which one is linked to breast cancer.....the memory foam or the pure latex? I have a pure latex so that is why I am asking. I have read all kind of "not so good" things about the memory foam.

Carol, it's the latex foam that's supposedly linked, but I do not know how strong the speculation is. I didn't know until we got ours and my mom heard somthing about it -- then I and googled it and still wasn't sure if there was anything to it... but it might have had me look at other options if I knew before the purchase. Google it and you'll see what I mean. "latex mattress breast cancer" Ours is pure latex, too.

Love my Jamison mattress!
default_wub.png
:wub Go to Jamisonbedding.com to find a retailer. I think ours was one out of the Resort Collection. Jamison has been around for centuries but you never hear of any advertisement. I figure that is because they spend their money on turning out a terrific product.
default_thumbup.gif

I took a quick look and didn't find much of anything I haven't seen before. I know that the coils in a regular mattress are supposed to act like antenna........I have seen a few articles like the one below. But then it goes on to make a statement about latex and this was not on a bedding website.

Mattress Antenna for Cancer

You would be aware of the adverse impacts of the mattress antenna if you are a regular health conscious person. Recently, the damage caused by the coiled mattress has come forward to millions of Americans who have been in belief that the same mattressesprovide a sound sleep and a great amount of relaxation. However, their thoughts have ceased to exist recently as medical researchers have brought into light the adverse effects of the same. While you may be wondering how these mattresses could be proved harmful to you, you need to know about the techniques when and how an antenna coiled mattresscan affect you in the long run.

Natural Latex Mattress

The main culprit that incurs several health complexities is the metal antenna like coils that are being used during the manufacturing of the mattress. Reports reveal that the metal of the coils intrinsically attract and amplifies too harmful radiation from the nearby television, radio and even FM channels. This electro-magnetic ray can be quite harmful for a person as the body of a person could be badly damaged due to the persistent usage of the coil mattress. As a direct impact this type of electro-magnetic rays hinders the production of melatonin to a great extent. Now, if you ask me why melatonin is important for our body, then let me enlighten you that it is a highly important agent that is responsible for growing anti-oxidants and the anti-cancer agents too. From this, you can easily get hold that how much you can be affected by these antenna coiled mattresses thereby. In fact great amount medical researches now establish that premature ageing and growth of breast cancer is highly accelerated by using these kinds of mattresses. Further, you would be wondered knowing that this anti-cancer agent is best generated in our body only during the night time when we are sleeping. Apart from the said factors, melatonin is also responsible for providing protection against harmful virus for keeping out immunity system fit and fine.

Natural Latex Mattress

Now after knowing so many adverse effects of antenna mattress, you must be interested in knowing how you can avoid this disorder effectively. The answer is switch over to organic mattresses. Thesenatural latex mattresses do not have spring support and for this they are completely safe. You can be rest assured that there will be no internal effect for the same. You can sleep without fear and doubt and it is obviously quite healthy for a long healthy life.

Sorry Sonya.....did not mean to get off topic here.

Thats ok, is there anything out there that doesn't cause cancer these days? I work at an Air Traffic Control tower with the radar spinning all day, I am probably loaded with radiation already...lol. Not sure if the one we are looking at has the springs, something else to look into.

Thats ok, is there anything out there that doesn't cause cancer these days? I work at an Air Traffic Control tower with the radar spinning all day, I am probably loaded with radiation already...lol. Not sure if the one we are looking at has the springs, something else to look into.
LOL! I know what you mean. It's all so ridiculous and I could get into the "politics" of it all......but let's not go there!

I still sleep on an approx. 36? year old all-foam(don't know if it's latex?) mattress by Englander, that was my late mother's. Not sure how long she'd had it before I inherited it after she died in 1979....but do know it was considered top-quality(my mother was an interior decorator/designer, and as such, handled numeroud lines of fine furniture(Heritage, Henredon, Lee Woodard, etc.), fabrics, housewares, and other quality home furnishings.)

This is not a 'deep' mattress; maybe 6"? It is STILL firm and offers very good support.A king size, the center is noticably 'higher' that either side, due to YEARS of two people sleeping on either side, but I NEVER get up w/ a back ache, and always feel well-rested, so I am KEEPING this relic(and I don't care if it has 15 lbs. of dust mites onboard!!) Seen the ad that tries to scare you into replacing your mattress every 8 years??!! What a marketing technique...PAH!

Temurpedic claims to be the 'most recommended' mattress in America; I say it is certainly the 'most heavily advertised'...there is a difference. I have no interest in one; have heard too often about the 'warmth' aspect...plus, no way in HECK could I pay those inflated prices.

Margo

Ok, I know most people love theirs, but my hubby and I got one to help with his back problems - not only did it not help with his back, it started causing me back problems. We sold it to my nephew, and he and his wife love it, so it must have just been me : ) If you can get one with a return policy that'd be a good way, because occassionally they don't work out. . .

Latest posts

Back