Temp. rises to 104

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ali

Reaction score
Has anyone had this happen and what might be the cause?

Since Thursday, my 3 yr old gelding has had temperature fluctuations from normal to 104. The vet has been out to treat him for fever twice however, there are no other symptons.

He is eating but very little. He is drinking water, taking bran mash, having bowel movements and urinating. Breathing is somewhat strained but not too much. Feet are not warm and so foundering has hopefully not taken place.

The vet is telling me that after four days of feeling crappy with fever, and no other symptons such as swelling, etc. there's not much to do but treat the fever.

He is very quiet and moves very slowly. Not wobbling or anything like that. Just feeling crappy. We are on the fourth day and I'm worried.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Just guessing here. Did your vet check him for pneumonia? He might have a lung infection. That would make him breathe a little hard and feel crappy. There doesn't have to be any coughing or discharge to have pneumonia. A possibility... Good luck

Ginny StP

Thanks Virginia. Never thought of pneumonia. How would he check for it?

Actually the vet did mention that he thought it might be respiratory, listened to his chest and then mentioned that it would be normal for the horse's breathing to be strained a little due to the fever. He said it is how a horse tries to bring down his own temperature. Basically, the vet is saying that he's treating fever and just fever at this moment. No other symptons.

I feel badly because this guy is the life of the party/paddock. To see him feeling poorly takes a toll on me, not just him. My poor baby. I sure hope he gets over this-whatever it is-soon. None of the others in the barn are showing any kind of illness. Thankfully.

Well, my vet listens first of all then if pneumonia is suspected, he can xray the lungs and then maybe do a blood test to see what his levels are. Certainly wouldn't hurt. Has he done a blood test? It certainly could help.

G

A temp that high would concern me a lot........Is your gelding on antibiotics? Did the vet pull blood to test? And, did the vet suggest a light dose of banamine to help bring down the fever?

The vet should be able to check your horse's lungs for fluid sounds to tell if it's pneumonia. Did he do that?

Sorry for all the questions, but if you don't know -- I would ask him, if it were me. (I keep MY vet on his toes!) :lol:

MA

Yes, the vet listened to his chest but found nothing because he said nothing about pneumonia.

The horse has been treated twice by the vet when the temp. went up to 104 on two different days. Antibiotics were also administered on the first day. On the third day I believe he also gave him an antihistamine. The vet is here within 20 minutes of my placing the emergency call due to high temp.

We discussed drawing blood but decided to wait until Monday as he couldn't send the samples until then anyway. We also discussed that unless we request tests for something specific (which we don't know at this stage) then the blood tests would only give us a idea of blood cell counts. We know he's fighting something but I want to know what it is. When the kids get a fever and feel crappy I can take care of them but I feel so helpless with him at this moment. Not knowing what it is really troubles me.

I even went so far as to think that maybe he was teething and thus the temp. rise!!!!!
default_wacko.png
:

Latest posts

Back