Telus Internet Has Full Access To Your Computer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kootenay

Reaction score
I apparently went over my 60 gig internet, even though we were quoted Unlimited ADSL High Speed 2 years ago when we signed up. I received a letter tonight that came from 'abuse@telus,,,,' stating that indeed I had used over 200% of my 'allotted' bandwidth. I stream a heck of a lot of internet tv--(justin tv--entertainment channels)--I watch the Ghost Hunters channel 24/7--(I fall asleep to it). This shouldn't matter since we were quoted unlimited.

Now they say they are trying to limit traffic. I have gone through 3 ports at our internet hub downtown, so I assume those are old style and need upgrading-(since they 'burnt out'). We cannot get the 100 gig package here either because it is not available at this time. Like I said, I have used over 180 gigs in a month--streaming tv, so why isn't that package available???? . I do hear Shaw.ca has a fairly affordable 100 gig package though.

I also had a problem accessing my account tonight, so we phoned Telus and the rep who came up in a chat window on my computer from a program I don't even have, accessed my computer and took over my mouse. I only authorized this through a 6 digit #, and I know they do this to prove which computer they have 'taken over'. It seems they have 24 hour access to your pc if you are paying into their service. I had even closed off that Telus monitor/helper in the task bar and they still got into my computer
default_sad.png

I have Avast Antivirus and rely on the Windows Firewall and that Malicious Software Removal Tool, and then Trend Housecall once a week. I run a few other programs, but won't get into discussing those--(long/drawn out geek/nerd lingo).

I just can't believe that Telus could even be watching this screen right now. Talk about my privacy rights as a Canadian going RIGHT Out The Window!!!!

I'm still trying to figure out their terms of service,but I don't think any written document besides my 6 digit # gave them access. I saw my mouse move before that though, so I figure that # was for legal reasons. It makes me sick to think they could have access to my computer 24 hours a day due to some hidden piece of software.

Kim.

I should have taken a screenshot of the Telus chat window. I'm sure I can get the chat transcript out of them though/etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can "go into" your computer and shut off the "allow remote" on your computer. I have allowed my son remote access to mine a couple of times so he could fix a problem I was having...then I go in and shut the remote off until I need it again.

I only authorized this through a 6 digit #, and I know they do this to prove which computer they have 'taken over'.
Obviously you did, in fact, authorize this with that 6 diget #, so of course it IS legal. Just shut off the remote access, and you can feel safe again.
default_smile.png
Besides, when it is being used...you will be able to tell, I know when Billy uses mine...there is a little icon up in the corner, and my computer goes at a snail's pace as well.

YIKES! I never heard of that! But we still are on dial-up in this part of the woods!

The "allow remote access" on my computer was off due to the fact that I disabled it last time I reinstalled Windows XP ( I do every time since I don't need it). That's why I am so baffled by all of this.

I will have to ask my son about that. I know that he has to have me turn that on everytime he needs to access my computer...and he used to own it...you would think if there was a way to do it, he would know...he dabbles in a home-based computer business. Weird...
default_wacko.png
default_wacko.png

CZP1, it can be done using dial-up as well...that is all I have too, and it can still be accessed when I am on-line if I allow it.

There are ways to make sure others don't have access to your computer. We have a closed wireless modem hub, that is key coded... this will keep most of people out but if someone should get past that.. we have all the computers key coded/password to lock others out. Remote access is also turned off.

We also have a number of firewalls, anti spam and MaAfee on the computers.

Here... Servers have to have permission before they can access your computer and they can only get in..if I tell the hub and computer to allow them.

Latest posts

Back