Tell me everything I need to know about gelding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnut

Reaction score
I can't quite reveal all the details of my good news, but I can say a decision has been made, a deposit check has been sent and a date has been decided on for pickup. I'm purchasing a yearling colt who I am going to have gelded. I've learned so much in the last 4.5 years but the gelding process is going to be a brand new experience.

I'm spoken with my vet. She's given me some basic details of what I'll need to do day of and post surgery. I'd like to hear some real world things that will help me and the new boy do well through the process.

Go by what your vet says... although they may tell you that you need to hose them down to reduce the swelling but we never had to do that. Some of the BEST photos we ever got of Clyde were taken the day after he was gelded and we were "exercising" him. We had one boy done in the backyard and the other one done in a stall (on a foaling cam yet!) because of the weather and snow on the ground. Both were done as yearlings. We just kept a close eye on them for a few hours as they recovered from surgery and then tried to take a good look daily for a few days to make sure the swelling wasn't too bad. If we couldn't easily see swelling, we did not crawl all the way under looking for it, figuring if it needed attention, we would see it. We have two very happy boys now. Actually we have THREE happy boys because one of the geldings (Clyde) is now happily turned out with this Dad, who for now, gets to keep his jewels. The other one, Rusty, is a show gelding for us and the 4-Hers, getting ready to show on Sunday.

Photo of Clyde the day after gelding. Look closely and you can see blood on his legs. We also have photos of the actual procedure for both boys....

Clyde_snow_1.JPG

Get him acclimated to running cool water on him, or just water in general. This will help post op.Being able to hose down their incision site is helpful, walking or exercising does wonder also. If the swelling does not start to subside in three days, have the vet look at him and prescribe an antibotic if needed. I treat gelding like any other high stress event and remove any grain and give soaked alfalfa cubes and hay. Probiotics never hurt either and hopefully the vet will leave you with some banamine to take the edge off in the first 24-48 hours. Young horses seem to bounce back very quickly. Waiting until the flies subside is a plus, but I have gelded in the early and late fly season, they weren't at their peek, and while pesky, it was nothing some swat on the inside of the thighs and belly didn't cure. I have had everything from 6 months old to 16-17 year olds done, all faired well.

Good Luck and it sounds like a congratulations is in order!

I specifically wanted my guy on antibiotics post surgery, same as I do with my dogs. Not worth the risk otherwise. I would make sure that's part of the plan.

My colt was done out in the stable yard, simple textbook operation, and very good recovery. He was kept stalled for almost a week, with handwalking for exercise. I never had to hose him off, but kept watch on swelling in case I did. I made sure he had very good fly spray every day, not on incision site but on his legs and body and up close between his legs. Day of he was really groggy, and vet advised I didn't walk him. Next day he was bright eyed and ready to go. He went into his paddock after several days (could have gone sooner probably) and that was that. Some exercise really goes a long way to reduce swelling. I also braided his tail to keep it out of the way and from getting goo and blood on it, but didn't bag the tail. Keep the blood and discharge rinsed off to help with flies too.

It took two weeks to notice a difference in hormone levels, my guy was 2 when I got him gelded. And since then he's done nothing but turn into the sweetest and most amazing pony, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
We're looking at the third week in October to do the procedure. He will have been nearly 2 full weeks at that point. The vet I use dispensing antibiotics as part of her standard gelding procedure. Considering the environment, I am happy about this. I plan also be giving probiotics to him before hand, along with some type of ulcer preventative to help manage stress as much as possible. I like the idea of practicing with the hose ahead of time. I plan to spend as much time as possible handling him once he gets here ahead of the procedure. And my vet will definitely leave banamine for use at our discretion.

Each Vet has their preferences, mine likes to geld out behind the barn in a grassy area. Then she wants me to keep the guy in a well bedded down with straw stall, not sawdust or shavings until 24 hours, then she wants them to have exercise outside but on their own, what they want to do, but seperate from other horses for at least two weeks, after that all is well. She also leaves antibiotics, but she won't geld if their are still flies present.

Make sure your colt has had his tetanus vaccine. And make sure BOTH his testicles have dropped.

Fall and Spring are the best times as mentioned by others because there are less flies. Our vet also does the procedure on a clean grassy area. We stay close by while the anesthetic is wearing off and then leave him in the area once he is steady on his feet. The area is our fenced in front yard. The new gelding usually moves around enough on his own, but we've walked him too. And we've only had to gently hose one horse over the years. Banamine is given for a couple of days.

Enjoy your new gelding!

^ LOL- oh yeah, make sure he's got both dropped!

Day before my boy was due to get cut I gave him a bath. He's not a fan, and when I was scrubbing up underneath to my horror I only found one testicle. I was pretty sure he had both, but hadn't ever REALLY thoroughly checked. I was so worried he was a crypt! Ugh! Surgery bill just doubled at least, recovery could be difficult, what if the vet can't find it, omg, what am I going to do?

Yeah, how about stop freaking out and wait until he's finished his bath, and check again. Both front and present. I felt such a fool!

Yeah, how about stop freaking out and wait until he's finished his bath, and check again. Both front and present. I felt such a fool!
Oh my...I swear I could see myself doing the same!

Every vet has different instructions for after the fact. My quarter horse stayed in the stall probably the first night. he was done in the afternoon. After that he had regular turn out by himself for at least a week. We didn't hose or hand walk him (per vets instructions of course) and everything healed well on its own.

Post care is actually pretty easy! I've only had one of the years I had to hose, and that was because his incision got crusted shut, so had to hose to open it again and allow proper drainage and to reduce swelling from lack of drainage. Generally I keep them stalled on good clean bedding the first 24 hours, and then at night the next couple weeks so they can lay somewhere clean. Exercise!!! The first week post surgery. If he doesn't do it on his own, walk/trot in hand. This is the most important, you can skip all need of cold hosing if you keep him moving. October can still be warm, so keep some Swat or other fly repellent ointment on hand just in case!

Most of ours have had quite a bit of drainage. To keep them from scalding between/down the hind legs and "butt cheeks", we liberally apply vaseline. I make my own "Swat" from vaseline and use that on the haired portions of their bodies as well. Then we braid tails. Every couple of days, the vaseline would be washed off with Dawn soap, then re-applied - especially on the colts that would find a sand wallow in our pastures (GAK, gross).

The cold hosing and exercising seems to be something that is done by state or location. All of the vets I've worked with have recommended NO stalls (even in the 70s/80s in CO), preferably out with a group that they are used to to help move them about, cold hosing and exercising at least once daily (even for weanlings) and one vet insisted on 2x daily. When I was working with that particular vet part time, I remember (& have in my notes) 10 cases over a 3 yr period of horses (1 mini/pony, the rest "biggies") of different ages that were kept up in stalls, on anti-biotics and still got serious infections...

I have found that the Shetlands/Minis seem to do better than the big horses - less swelling and drainage overall (than our biggies). But if they got any swelling they acted worse about whatever method (s) you used to combat it, LOL.

Personally, I use gelding as a time to get a lot of extra handling in on ponies that might not get it otherwise. They learn to lead with voice commands, lounge (the younger they are, the less time/speed they do), ground driving, harnessing and even saddling (though most of mine have been gelded long before we'd start riding them). This works especially well for me now when I have so many ponies and I'm by myself (all 3 of the girls are "gone" now) and I just don't have time to handle/groom/train each one every day anymore like I did even 4 years ago.

Do not know if you have any opinion about the Farmer's Almanac. October says 14th-15th for castration.

I have always hosed mine. I want to keep the area clean and I think the hydro therapy is good. Also think it helps reduce swelling and makes the horse more comfortable. But that is just my experience.

I also believe, like paintponylvr, it is a very good time for some training. Research has shown that the horse is very teachable in the few days after gelding. Socializing, working on the lead as you walk him, handling his legs, ears--whatever he seems to need work with. Not sure if it is the result of the anesthetic or something to do with hormonal activity.

I never had an antibiotic with mine, but I've known of two that needed it. Neither of those horses were hydroed. Might be just a coincidence...

Also, you might ask the vet to check for wolf teeth. It's a good time, while the horse is sedated, to have them removed.

I certainly don't have the experience with gelding that most people here do but I have been given plenty of suggestions. One is to keep them moving after the day of surgery. It helps with drainage and healing, so day 2 post op a turn out may be recommended as long as they are just quietly walking about. Make sure the incision stays draining and doesn't seal closed. Infection can set in quickly if the hole seals closed. Also, if it is in late Spring, Summer, or early Fall, make sure you use fly spray as flies will irritate the area a lot. Make sure they don't try to mount other horses or are in an area they can jump, or try to jump out of. My vet said one of the very worst things they can do is stretch their rear legs out behind them. Also, it takes a full 4 weeks for the testosterone to work its way out of their system, if you have an older stallion, do not expect an immediate change, but the change almost always comes as long as the surgery is complete.

Last edited by a moderator:
I *really* appreciate all this great advice! I promise to come back with details on how things go once we get there.

Latest posts

Back