Tell me about clippers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh what a bummer! Sorry to hear you don’t like them.

I think these large animal clippers probably vibrate pretty good and I’m thinking they will be pretty loud. I’ll probably have to take Tylenol for my back/neck after I use them, but I already have to do that anyways 🤪 I’ve read some reviews and people have sheared sheep with them so they have to be good right? ….and should hold up to mini fur?? 😝😝

Maybe everyone needs to start taking videos of clipping their mini and how their clippers work on their mini so then everyone else could see the difference in clippers? A true review of all the clippers packed into one thread 😁 …. That would be so AWESOME! Anyone up for that challenge? Anyone?

It would be so amazing to find a set of clippers that I can just clip one entire horse with and i don’t have to stop to let blades cool or add cooling junk to. That would be AMAZING! It really is the small things in life 💕💕

I have the Andis 5 speed clippers and love them! They don't have any trouble with my Shetlands coats wet or dry. On the minis with really thick coats, they can't clip them very quickly when they are wet, but there is no problem when they are dry. They don't heat up or vibrate and are also fairly quiet. I use the ceramic edge blades which don't heat up as fast, but clipping outside in the summer, I do have to spray them with Cool Lube once or twice. I like to keep the blades nice and cool for their head and legs.

Really? You only need to spray once or twice? My blade is too hot to touch after half a leg. And I put them on a lower speed. Maybe mine are defective. I didn't notice a difference between the ceramic blade and the regular ones.
I wouldn't take shearing sheep as a plus or minus...totally different, and really, some people clip their sheep with hand shears, so imagine clipping your horse with scissors. There are probably enough people that if we got one with each type of clipper to review or film we could do it!

Really? You only need to spray once or twice? My blade is too hot to touch after half a leg. And I put them on a lower speed.
Yes, I keep mine at about 3rd speed, sometimes bump up to 4th if the coat is a bit thicker. My horses are always freshly bathed and scrubbed so the blades are never cutting through dirt. It's been two years and my blades are just now ready to be sharpened.
When I had dairy goats, I had a Wahl cordless clipper that would not be anywhere close to powerful enough for a mini, but those non ceramic blades heated up much faster, so I have noticed a difference.

And I need to update this to say that after using the Andis excel 5spd for just over a year, on one horse, they have stopped working. They only pulse when you turn them on, and apparently it's a common issue with them. It will cost me $100 with shipping to get them fixed. Absolute garbage, I'm using my half dead Wahl iron horse to clip for the show.

As a retired dog groomer...
I would not use an adjustable blade/variable speed clipper for body clipping, or really much clipping on a horse at all. But that's not what you bought. You paid good money for a product that has good reviews! I would only use it for face, bridle path and legs though. I wouldn't suggest using smaller "dog-size" clippers on horse bodies. It's just far more dense hair, and more work on the machine. I've got a set of gold-bodied Sunbeam animal clippers that are probably 100 years old (exaggerating, but not a lot...) that work a TREAT! They are loud, they are heavy but they have the power to get through anything. I wash blades after every animal, keep the machine clean and lubricated, and have had blades last 2 years and counting so far.
The other brand I would trust is Oster A5. Loud, lots of vibration, but they are a stronger motor. The other clipper I have on hand is a Wahl Bravura - which is an adjustable blade. I only use it for faces, ears and bridle paths. It's cordless, quiet, little vibration, light weight and easy balance. I loved it grooming (it worked a treat on matted cats!) and I find it's still very handy to have for my horses, especially youngsters that I might need to move around with.

I have an Andis 2 speed that I have used for several years to clip my horses. My sharpener guy says the new Andis are junk. Indeed, I bought a cordless Andis with non-changeable blade and it is only good for touch up; nothing like the one I bought 20 years ago that lasted more than 10 years. So, another name brand that we used to trust is coasting on its reputation.

Latest posts

Back