Tell me about clippers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostandFound

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been using a wahl iron horse clipper for the last few years and I think it's time to retire it. I'm clipping for shows, so I'd like something that I don't have to take a break halfway through, but I'm not clipping a barn full so I don't need something that can do 20 horses in a row. I like that I don't have to change the blade to do close work and I don't think the better clippers let you do that. Also I have small arthritic hands so I would like something lighter and easy to handle. What do you all suggest I look for or stay away from?

I have the Andis 2 speed and like it very well. It was recommended to me by a professional dog groomer. I only have two horses. I've been using it for about 6-7 years.
I also purchased the cordless Andis this year and really like it. It is powerful and handy to have when I'm out with no electricity. It does have its own blade; cannot interchange with the 2 speed model.

If the Iron Horse clipper has been working for you, and fits your hands well, I'd be inclined to stick with it and get a new one if you can.

I did think about replacing with the same, they are inexpensive, familiar, and I like them. The only thing I don't like is that they overheat about halfway through. I never thought about dog clippers, is there any difference between them and horse clippers?

I have both the Andis & the Iron horse… if they start to over heat just dip the blades into some rubbing alcoholic…. I mean alchol… I mean rubbing alcohol 🤣🤣…. That will cool them off ASAP!! All this talk about alchol, I need a drink 🤣🤣💕💕

If you are only clipping one or two, I like my Wahl KM-2 clippers; but I don't recall if they have an adjustable blade.

When clipping more than a couple, the Double K's were the ticket. But if clipping just one or two, and if you wants something with an adjustable blade that is light weight, the Oster Electromatic works OK. The blades adjust from a 10 to a 50. I use Blade Wash frequently (dipping the running blades into a small coffee can with an inch of it in there....never oil and NEVER use Blade Kool....that will destroy your blades really quick. When using the Double K - I ran them at less than full speed...the blades would get hot way too fast at high speed. Somewhere between 5 and 7. And blade wash very frequently.

I have athritic hands and found the Double K's hurt. They did a great job, but the cord was always fighting me in a way that really trashed my wrists. I'm also using KM2 clippers right now. They are light, easy to grip and handle body clipping. ETA: Chandab, mine don't have an adjustable blade.

I've been using a wahl iron horse clipper for the last few years and I think it's time to retire it. I'm clipping for shows, so I'd like something that I don't have to take a break halfway through, but I'm not clipping a barn full so I don't need something that can do 20 horses in a row. I like that I don't have to change the blade to do close work and I don't think the better clippers let you do that. Also I have small arthritic hands so I would like something lighter and easy to handle. What do you all suggest I look for or stay away from?
When do you clip? Summer only?

I used to use Double K clippers and since 2013 I've only used Andis 5 Speeds. They are small, light and ergonomic. They work fast. They are popular in the miniature horse community because they are Brooke the Clipper Girls clipper of choice. You may have luck posting on Facebook trying to find a used pair!

When do you clip? Summer only?
I only clip before I show....but I'm hoping for a full season next year with the first show april and last in october. So many people like the double K's but I feel like they will be too much for me. I have a hard enough time as it is. I do like that the andis comes in pretty colors, but I'm not paying $100 more for blue. Well, I'm probably not.

Do yiu clip before each show, or just once at the beginning of the season?
Each show, it ends up being about twice a month. I don't clip as close and frequently as the people that win, but I don't like her to look terrible either.

Do you clip with the lay of the fur or against it? Only ever clipped dogs before.

Do you clip with the lay of the fur or against it? Only ever clipped dogs before.
The first clip of the season, I clip with the big Oster "cow" clipper with a 10 blade, going with the hair, washing the blades in Blade Wash every couple of minutes. For a show clip, I wash and rinse the horse thoroughly, saturate with Show Sheen, and clip them with a Double K using an A5 #10 or 20, against the hair, while still wet and totally soaked with Show Sheen. Even though the horse is clean, I use Blade Wash every couple of minutes.

@LostandFound did you get new clippers? Which one did you decide on? Do you like them?

Has anyone used the Lister Star Large animal clippers? I’m thinking of getting a set of clippers that are larger and heavier duty to use on the first spring clippings and then using my other clippers during the summer months. The first clipping doesn’t need to be pretty just needs to get all the hair off… and now baby hair off. Not to be pushy but if I order in the next 7 hours I can get them by tomorrow 🤣🤣

0BF547B7-5C80-4D43-9798-75D1F4C9957B.jpeg

I just thought about updating this the other day, I should have. I went with the andis excel 5spd and I hate them. They struggle with thick hair. The blades get hot immediately. I spend more time spraying them with blade cooler than I do clipping. And the buttons are recessed and difficult to use. On the other hand, there is no vibration so it doesn't hurt my hands. And the part you hold doesn't get hot. And I can clip an entire horse in one go, if my back can handle it. I end up using my iron horse that's half dead. I haven't tried the lister so I can't help you there.

Latest posts

Back