Teeth

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katrina

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a couple questions about teeth. I have a 2, 3 and 4 year old minis, I am wondering when you start having their teeth floated? I have had the 2 and 4 year old looked at and they said they were fine, just got the 3 yr old so she hasn't been seen yet. I'm curious if they will show signs of needing their teeth done, or do I just have them checked again in 6 months or so? Thank you all for any info

I just have mine checked in the spring when they get their shots and float whoever needs it. Normally you will notice them dropping feed or chewed up hay if they are really bad but if they are checked once a year or so you'll know before they get bad. It depends on the horse for how often they need done, I have one that needs it every year but most not that often and some that never have.

Thank you, I had the 2 year old checked a few months ago, and a month or so ago she was dropping chewed up hay then it stopped. I'm wondering if she was losing baby teeth. When vet checked her she said teeth were good for at least a year. If it happens again I will for sure have the vet check her again

At that age I would assume she was losing teeth and not worry about it. If an older horse was doing it I would check if they had lost any molars. They would need their teeth done every year if they had but that's not normal until they get to mid/late teens or twenties, some do, some don't. It mostly has to do with how good or bad their teeth meet. Some get bad hocks easily and some almost get none. I have one here that had hooks on her baby teeth 🤦‍♀️

At that age I would assume she was losing teeth and not worry about it. If an older horse was doing it I would check if they had lost any molars. They would need their teeth done every year if they had but that's not normal until they get to mid/late teens or twenties, some do, some don't. It mostly has to do with how good or bad their teeth meet. Some get bad hocks easily and some almost get none. I have one here that had hooks on her baby teeth 🤦‍♀️
That's what I was thinking, especially since she stopped dropping chewed food. She only did it for about a week so I was figuring baby teeth. I know she lost her 2 front ones late spring. I love my littles and just want to make sure I'm doing what's right. They have already been through alot for being so young, they were in a kill pen then to a rescue and we got them from there.

Did he check all the way in the back for points? Miniatures can be quite difficult to work on.
I'm not completely sure, I will have them checked again soon. I'm not seeing any issues at this point so I will keep an eye for sure.

Latest posts

Back