Teeth Troubles

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mona

Reaction score
I have a 10 year old mare here, and just a week or so ago when I had her in to trim hooves, I happened to look in her mouth and noticed this mess! :new_shocked:

Her two outside front teeth have grown and are pointing outwards! It looks like the one is even sort of curling sideways some.

We have no equine dentist here, and my dental work needs over the years has been minimal...almost non-existent actually. I did call the vet to ask about things, and he thought he could file this??? He did not see it, he was only going by what I told him on the phone. I have emailed photos to him, but have not yet heard back from him.

The mare is heavy in foal, due early April, so whatever needs to be done, cannot be done until sometime after she foals, as he might have to sedate her?

After seeing these photos, do you actually think it is possible to correct this by filing, or would they need to be pulled? What has been your experience? If this is something VERY, VERY complicated, I guess I would have to haul her close to 300 miles(one way) to a vet that does work on equine teeth, but if the vet here can fix it with filing, I guess we'll have him do that here, instead. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

This first pic was taken of her as a 5 year old and the rest were taken today, 5 years later.

deeliteteeth.jpg

deeliteteeth2.jpg

deeliteteeth3.jpg

deeliteteeth4.jpg

OUch! I would be suprised if they could file that down enough. But I am sure he will try. I am glad I will not be there when that happens! I couldnt even be there when they filed my boys teeth last year, about vomited and then ready to pass out.

I would contact Carl Mitz at mitz equine. He is one of the best equine denistry people in the country and may be able to help. She looks like she is probabaly hooked up in the back also, but you would need an examination to be sure. Carl does not believe in sedation and does 90% of what he does with mini's with none and it has always worked out well. He has been doing literally 1,000's of mini's each year around the country and has a lot of experience with them. He probabaly does not come up into your part of the worlld, but you can never tell. Also if he does not he will refer you to someone I bet.

:saludando:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's weird. I hope it does not hurt her. Can they be pulled ?

Mona, I agree a call into Carl Mintz is in order. Even if he doesn't come up your way I'm sure he'd look at pics, give you some advice and then a referral. If you don't know how to contact him, PM me.

Good luck!

I have seen such as that before in a couple of older minis and yes it was filed....with no sedation in one case, in the other it was 'nipped off then filed. It had to be kept up with every year or two as it would grow out again. The only problem to the horse was when it was real long like that it made sores on the inside of the mouth.

Charlotte

I have seen such as that before in a couple of older minis and yes it was filed....with no sedation in one case, in the other it was 'nipped off then filed. It had to be kept up with every year or two as it would grow out again. The only problem to the horse was when it was real long like that it made sores on the inside of the mouth.

Charlotte
Yes, that is what worries me, is if it makes sores in her mouth. So far, so good, so she'll just have to hang on for a couple more months with those FANGS!
default_wacko.png
:

The vet that I spoke with today, did mention nipping them, but he mentioned doing it if they were an inch long, which they aren't.(the sticking out part) Then he mentioned filing, but I just wasn't sure what can, or cannot be done. I sure hope they don't need "mini" dental equipment to do it, or I'll be SOL as there is nothing here, nor does the vet carry it.

I barely have a vet here, and definately do not have access to any Equine Dentist, so that is out of the question. As much as I would like to ask Carl Mitz(I have heard nothing but good about him!) to give advice, he may not think too kindly on doing that for someone that is not a client of his, or that he doesn;t know, but I guess it may be worth a shot?? Can you please email me his email address StarRidgeAcres, to [email protected] ? Thank you.

When people say "file", do you really mean "grind" ? That is what this situation would require by the looks of it. A grinder in the right hands can do a very nice job.

One of my stallions that later became a gelding have a tooth like that. We ground it down every spring and had no problems with it at all causing sores or anything. This horse was 10 when we got him and it had been that way his whole life. Our dentist used his little dremmel tool and took it down. No sedation just a couple of people to support the horse and that was it. Our dentist is a very tall guy so he was sitting on a little pink bucket so he could see into his mouth. HAHAHAH I should have taken a picture. LOL

outlaw

Carl does all of our work here at the farm and I bet he will give you the information you need. If you want to tell him Cindy and I told you to ask him don't hesitate to. He is a great guy and one of the best in the business with a whole array of speciality tools for minis that few other folks have.

email me if you can't contact him yourself.

:saludando:

My mini gelding, Sanka has one tooth that does that. It doesn't seem to bother him, vet said if I wanted to have it cut and filed he could do it but that it wasn't needed as it wasn't cutting him and wasn't hurting him. Since he is 9 years old I probably will have it done as I show him. He has had this tooth since I bought him at 5, I believe he was kicked as a baby.

Latest posts

Back