Teeth Floating

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtominis

Reaction score
We just got my mini from a breeder who said he had never had his teeth done, he's a year and a half gelding, and I was just wondering if this was something that needed to be done immediately or not until he is older. Also, I've been told that his baby teeth will fall out..this is normal?

September- MAllory 2012 299.JPG

Yes, his baby teeth will be falling out.

I don't normally have my horses' teeth floated until three. They still will be losing baby teeth at that time but because I like to start driving and bitting them up I want to make sure their mouth is well taken care of.

I'd only have a dentist out for a younger horse if I suspected an issue. Otherwise, you can easily wait until three or four but a responsible owner then has their teeth checked and done as needed every year after that.

Congrats on your new little one!!! Can you post a picture of what the rest of him looks like here? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
yup here he is! I also had a question about what I think is a "hay belly" ...he was really really round when we got him but he's only been on grass and hay, but we're starting him on Purina Miniature Horse and Pony grain for the winter since he's eaten up his pasture. Will the grain fill him out more or just make him fat and easier to founder?

Weds October 10th- Teddy- No crutches 007.JPG

My mare has never been floated and she is eleven. My vet said that this spring she will need to have it done as she is just starting to show slight signs of it needing to be done. But that it wouldn't need to be done till spring.

Some horses will need their teeth tended to more regularly than others. Minis have small mouths with teeth that are nearly as big (if not as big) as normal sized horses; so they can have more issues. I had my 7 year old mare's teeth done a couple of weeks ago as she hadn't been done for a couple of years and tends to get some sharp points. My three+ year old has never had her teeth done and her teeth looked perfect at that time (and she had lost some caps etc...right on target). And my yearling had his wolf teeth pulled out at the time of gelding (12 months old), but no floating.

So, I'd have the vet just check to make sure things look good if he/she comes out for something else...but I wouldn't call them in especially for that at this age. Like Disneyhorse said, 3+ years of age unless you suspect a problem
default_smile.png

you should always have the teeth checked yearly. I had a two year old that I had the vet "just take a look" while she was doing my other boys. He had shockingly sharp points. She showed me and let me feel, if I pressed hard I probably could have cut my finger, imagine how he felt. I was so surprised because of his age, I honestly didn't think he would need floating but I thought it would be good training for him to have the vet do an oral exam. IMHO it really depends on the horse and they are all individuals. One of those "never hurts to check" things to be sure. Just going by age and how long it has been since they were last done can be mis leading. PS, I don't check them myselves since one of my boys crunched me like a carrot and took off my thumbnail and broke my thumb. OUCH.

All of mine have began losing baby teeth at 2 1/2 yrs. I was horrified the first time because I thought the colts had broken each others teeth! My avatar gelding will be 5 Halloween, and he needed nothing done yet. My mare is 7 and has not needed anything yet, but I have had many minis who needed a lot of work and had them kept up every 6 months.

Just follow directions on the feed bag for his weight, there are many formulas with measurements to get a good estimate of his weight. Make sure he is properly wormed, ask your vet if your not sure, and hay will give the little ones bellies, but they look round with their winter fuzzies anyway. Just feel ribs, hip bones, withers, shoulders to make sure he is getting all he needs, and it is very easy to underestimate what they need. Probiotics help them especially after worming. Everyone has their own formula of hay, beet pulp, and feeds they give but just keep with what works best for you.

Check every year! Every horse is different- we have had yearlings with such sharp points that their tongues were starting to get cut - as well as a 7 yr old that finally needed her teeth done. You just never know unless you check. An ounce of prevention................................

Latest posts

Back