teen obesity

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cara

Reaction score
hi everyone,

i figured i could ask on here, "how to i guess get fit?" i have alot of muscle so i dont go by my weight, but my stomch is well big, thats the only area, i could put up too pics to get abetter idea..let me know if it would help, anyway and ideas? i excerise like mad, i run 3k once a week, and work with my horse, and i walk everywhere insted of driving! any help? i get rly depressed about it alot! pm me

First I would get checked out to see if you might have some health issue causing you to retain or gain weight. If you're healthy it's really pretty simple: eat less so your body uses stored fat for energy, and exercise more. If you follow a good plan you can expect to lose about two pounds per week (8 pounds per month) safely. I'm guessing that like me you're not "fat," though you're not all that lean, either. I've put myself on a 1000 cal. a day diet (no junk food), walk a fast five miles uphill as well as do as many push ups as I can every day to help battle my belly.

Last edited by a moderator:
It does take alot longer to lose the weight than when you gained it. Eat healthy, stop when you have reached a "comfortable" fullness, and exercise DAILY. Don't get discouraged about not losing it quickly. The slower you lose it, the easier it is on the body. Just stay focused, and don't let food rule your life. Remember, you can always come here for support. Good luck on your mission.

i have tried eating less and working out more but it doesnt work, i live on 47 acers and i walk the whole thing like around it or w.e everyday, and im still fat, i wannt lose it now, im so sick of it! ahhhh

How tall are you? And how much do you weigh now?

It's hard to evaluate someone who feels they are "fat" just by their own view of themselves.......

PS: If you could show us a picture??? That would help.

First of all, don't get depressed; I'm sure every one of us has a little more extra padding somewhere on our bodies that we don't like. I do. I was just telling my husband that I should do sit-ups because I look like I might be pregnant when I'm NOT. I hate sit-ups and my tummy doesn't really bug me all that much. But anyway... Talk to your doctor before you try any diets. You might have something that is keeping you from losing weight like the other folks said. Otherwise, if you eat right and exercise daily and are healthy, you are doing well. We normal people (you included) aren't supposed to look like super- starved super models.

k il add pics, and im 5,3 and 134, that doesnt sound fat but trust me i am!!!

fat2.jpg

fat1.jpg

Oh HOney, that is not fat. That is fluffy. Leg lifts from youir back and from the sides will tighten the tummy and sides. Takes time, you're young and look you have a waist! Not fat!!!!!

Give me a break.

I understand that you were having family issues but this is just insane.

First of all i saw you at the horse show the other day and trust me you are not fat. I know that some of the other girls you were showing with are thin but thats their body type and not yours.

My best friend has the same body type that you do, she was on the highschool rowing teen when she was about your age (i think) and she didn't loose her "belly" and now she is involved in all sorts of sports (fencing, diving, tennis, hiking just to name a fiew) and she still has her "belly" and like you she has alot of muscle, she gives all the boys on her sports teams a run for their money thats for sure.

CARA DONT EAT LESS, eat healthy thats the most impotant thing , eat healthy and keep active.

And maybe next time think about how people bigger then you who can not loose wait due to medical issues feel before you say your depressed that your 130 pounds.

Also being "skinny" is not it's wrapped up to be, I was under 100 pounds in grade 9, I ate healthy and everything thats just how i was. And when the girls at school found out i was done for, i was being called nasty names every time i walked down the hallway and even teachers tired to "talk" to me about my weight and what i eat
default_wacko.png

You are NOT fat! There is absolutely nothing wrong with your body. Everyone's body is different...you are not stick thin, you have curves, which is a good thing, but are no way obese. If you are concerned just eat a little healthier...lots of fruits, it will be good for you, regardless of your weight.

Cara,

I agree with the others, you are not fat! A bit "soft" maybe, but if we were talking horses, isn't that how we want mares to be?
default_wink.png

Seriously, I'm 5'7" and 155 lbs, so I'm in pretty much the same shape as you. Of course, I'm also 47 years old and have had 2 kids, so I figure I'm doing pretty good! Yeah, I'd like to be a bit leaner, too, but let's keep this in perspective, shall we?

We keep saying "exercise, and eat healthy." What does that mean? Well, exercise can increase muscle mass, which in turn raises the rate at which you burn calories. Better muscle tone helps the way you look, too. Plus, the hormones released during exercise are natural mood lifters. Sadly, exercise by itself doesn't do much for weight loss, partly because, as you become more fit, you become more efficient in the way your body works!

So what about the "eat healthy" part? We all have our own definition of what healthy eating is. Here's mine.

Lots of veggies and fruits, as fresh as you can get them. Not only do they contain vitamins and minerals that your body needs, they also have water and fiber, which (among other things) help to fill you up with relatively few calories.

To me, "Vegan" is like a religion, so I'm not going to touch it. Unless you have some similar moral issues with it, don't skip the meat and dairy simply because of their fat content. At your age, you need tons of calcium, and it's hard to get it just from vegetable sources. Know what you're doing before you go crossing whole food groups off of your list! Protein and fat take longer to digest, so meals containing reasonable amounts of them will keep you feeling "not hungry" longer. Some fats are actually good for you, in moderation.

Carbohydrates are your body's natural fuel. They are what you burn best. Unless you have a metabolic disorder (like diabetes) you really shouldn't go "low carb." In fact, going extremely low carb can GIVE you a metabolic disorder! That said, don't overdo it. Simple carbs (like sugar) don't do you much good, and can make your blood sugar level act like a yo-yo. Get more "bang for your buck" by eating things like whole wheat rather than white bread, etc.

Generally speaking, anything with "artificial" in its name isn't really good for you. I call it "junk, pretending to be food." I don't avoid then like the plague, but I don't kid myself about them, either. Don't rule out any normal food entirely, or you'll feel deprived, and may just chuck the whole thing. My feeling about it is: if you really want the doughnut, eat the doughnut. But don't eat the whole box, and don't do it every day! A healthy attitude toward food should include a little room for being naughty. If you begin obsessing about everything you put in your mouth, you'll go nuts!

IMO, those are some general rules anyone can live with. As others have said, before beginning any diet or exercise regimen, check with your doctor. Take care, and know that we care! {{{{HUGS}}}}

I am with everyone else. I saw this thread last night and didn't want to comment without a picture, but then I saw you in one of your show photos and honey you are nowhere near fat. In all likelihood at the age you're at you're just starting to get some curves. Your body WILL even out if you're eating healthy and staying active, but starving yourself while you're still growing is just silly. If you've already got a good fitness plan, then just add something extra in to target certain areas (like your tummy that you are dissatisfied with). Try crunches or pilates. They're grueling but they work, and try to stay away from processed foods and soda which add to the "fluffy" look (since we're on the subject, but which you don't really have). Other than that--give yourself a break! I know many of my naturally thin friends WISH they could gain weight and have curves, so it goes both ways. It sounds cheesy, but the most important thing is to learn to be happy with who you are.

Just wanted to add in here that "obese" means 40 pounds over your ideal weight (the medical ideal, not your personal ideal). The height and weight you gave are within the ideal range, and your calculated BMI for height/weight ratio is normal too. You are nowhere near obese, and need to stop applying such harsh terms to yourself.

I too just have to say you are NOT FAT!!! You have curves as a woman should.

You look to have a beautiful figure! Look back at pin-up girls of the 50's ect.

They had hips, boobs, and curves!! And they were drooled after for having those curves! Look at paintings, scupture, all women had curves.

Only now do we value hip bones, and spines for what is 'beautiful'. Who cares if popular media says you have to look like a prepubesent boy to be 'hot' I want to look like a strong woman, curves and all!!!!

I would say, if you are working out some, and being active, love your softness! I bet you have strong muscles underneath your little bit of softness. Do not diet to lose weight. Eat healthy and be active and be thankfull you have a womans body, not a young boys.
default_yes.gif

You are NOT fat. What are you most concerned about? Your tummy? If you want your tummy flatter, just do some stomach crunches every day. I just don't see that your figure is anything to be upset about. In my opinion you don't even need to diet! (I'd give my eye-teeth to have a figure like your's!)

By the way...... With the active lifestyle you have and the muscles you obviously have, I thought I'd point out that muscle weighs more than fat.

LOL That's not "obese," or even overweight. My advice remains the same.

A’ight Kiddo, I’ll entertain you, but you might not like me afterwards.

How old are you? You said “teen” but that doesn’t get very specific. There is a such thing as “baby fat” that some people don’t lose until their mid 20’s. Most people replace this with more substantial fat by then anyway and never notice when the baby fat disappears. However there are several people I know (females in particular) that seemed to lose that fat naturally as they matured. Before I get to the next part, let me first say that you’re not fat. You’ve got what I call “good breeding hips” and I find that VERY attractive. In fact, I think you are fine little filly who is jut being whiney. But, if you want to improve yourself, I respect that very much and will now give you more than you asked for.

This next portion may seem blunt and brutally honest. If you’re overly sensitive, don’t read it.

3k once a week is NOT exercising like mad. Working with a horse: Good activity that is quite helpful, but NOT exercising like mad. Walking everywhere: Excellent! But you have to walk at a pace that gets your heart rate up and do it long enough to get the most out of it. You say that you have a lot of muscle, but I can’t find it in the pics. To be perfectly honest, you look thin to me. Your arms are very smooth and your legs appear to be about the same. Can’t see it real well, but it looks like your bum is on the flat side too.

So, you want to look better? LIFT!!! Get in the gym and work out. Muscle burns fat, Muscle tightens and lifts, and Muscle shapes the body the way that we want it to look. Don’t give me any crap about “I don’t want to get all big and bulky” like a lot of chicks do. If it was so easy to do that you could do it by accident, don’t you think there’d be a lot more bulky guys out there? It takes dedication, time, intelligence, and effort to truly get in shape. It’s something that you have to commit to and stick with.

For reference on what it means to get fat:

I’m 5’11” Here’s me in shape in 1999 weighing about 210. To get there, I was literally working out like mad: Lifting hard every day and running 3.5 miles twice a day. (I got divorced the year before that and became obsessed with lifting and running.)

Vegas-99.jpg

And here’s what not working out, having an ankle rebuilt and being lazy did to me by Nationals last year. I was 285 in this pic. (Thanks Erica, for documenting my gut with this lovely photo.) When your belly is big and solid like this, you had better hope that you are pregnant. It turns out that I wasn’t.

AMHRNationals2007.jpg

Right now, I’m back down to 255, but still have a long way to go. (I have no intention of getting back to 210.) I’d be happy to talk to you about setting up a program when you are ready to commit to it. There are a million and one sources online to read and even more programs to try. Many are gimmicks, but a smart person can figure out what works. Studying Kinesiology will help you in your own work outs, but it also helps in fitting horses. My trainer uses many concepts from Body Building to fit horses and it works well for those who can adapt it to a horse’s needs.

You can talk to other women about fitness issues on the forums at www.t-nation.com

They have chatboards for all kinds of fitness related stuff for men, women, power lifters, body builders, and general fitness enthusiasts. Beware, that is not a kind-hearted site like this one. If you post your pics there, someone WILL tell you what they think. Sometimes, that’s what we need.

When your belly is big and solid like this, you had better hope that you are pregnant. It turns out that I wasn’t.
default_risa_suelos.gif

default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

Strass, a very good post!

What they said. I had a feeling you weren't as fat as you thought you were. Yeah, yeah, chalk it up to good ol' poor body image. So we're all squishy in places we maybe shouldn't be. So what? Eat right, exercise daily, avoid sugary foods including soda (have one once in a while so you don't feel deprived.) Yeah and I'm curvey, too, but I'm as healthy as a...well...fill in the blank.

Mike you are too funny for you're own good........I have to jump back on the exercising bandwagon too.

I have a new horse to work on getting fit with.....Chubbs that I picked up last weekend. He's my new motivation.

You going to be in OK this weekend?
default_risa8.gif

Latest posts

Back