Teasing, breeding Covering Mares

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update. So I left the stud out with the mare on her last heat, but he didn't even seem interested. I tried hand mating, that seemed even less interesting to him. I ended up just leaving them be. I determined that if she returned to heat in 21 days I would wait until spring and try again. He would be older, and more interested in the spring.

So the 21 days was up on the 15th of September and this is the 18th. There has been no sign at all of her retuning to heat.......I watched her closely a couple of days early too. So I am going to guess that she is in foal, unless she starts coming into heat in the spring. If she does I will breed her again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know where your located, but it its getting cooler, the mares will stop coming into heat. She's either pregnant or is getting ready for winter.

Just watch. You can sometimes feel the baby around five to six months. Wait until she has been eating for about 15 minutes and then put your arms around her belly. Your hands will be under her belly right in front of her udder. May feel baby bump your arms. Otherwise, the further along she gets, the more the baby is active and you can see the baby move. Or, have a vet come out and have her checked.

I agree with Magic Marker she may not come back into heat until spring, but I have my fingers crossed for you that she has taken and in foal
default_smile.png

Update. So I left the stud out with the mare on her last heat, but he didn't even seem interested. I tried hand mating, that seemed even less interesting to him. I ended up just leaving them be. I determined that if she returned to heat in 21 days I would wait until spring and try again. He would be older, and more interested in the spring.

So the 21 days was up on the 15th of September and this is the 18th. There has been no sign at all of her retuning to heat.......I watched her closely a couple of days early too. So I am going to guess that she is in foal, unless she starts coming into heat in the spring. If she does I will breed her again.
Perhaps you should consider other problem factors? (...beats me what)

Understandably, every horse is different. But... it took Nicky ONE night to impregnate Coco after she hopped over the stall door; if your dude is reluctant, perhaps there's something else going on? ...jut wondering?

Latest posts

Back