Team Hitch Driving

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gorgeous

Reaction score
When driving a two horse team, what do the judges look for? Does the team have to do different gaits or speeds like single driving? What is considered Antique vehicle driving? Thanks for any help, we are brand new at team driving but would like to show.

I've never shown it, but watched a few people show. I know one of the biggest things they look for is the team working in unison. I know they do a lot at a trot. They have to work a figure 8 (I think), back and pivot. I'm not sure on the gaits. Hope someone who shows them can help you a bit more.
default_smile.png

Speaking from an AMHA standpoint (R is probably similar but I have never done it there) in multi hitch they are looking for evenness of pace and working together as a team. They should be well behaved and responsive. The overall appearance should be as proportional as possible and matching is also considered but not so much in color as in size.

In light harness you will walk, collected trot and working trot. In draft harnes you will walk and collected trot. You enter the ring just like a regular class and work both ways. You will then line up at one end of the arena where the judges will inspect you and ask you to back. After that you will, in turn, move to the other end of the arena where you will present to the judge (this can be as simple as stopping and nodding to the judge or as elaborate as a full ADS salute) and then execute a figure 8.

Antique Vehicle is a show class where the only requirement is that the vehicle have wooden wheels. It is done as a regular driving class with walk, collected trot, working trot, line up and back. Five years ago you would see Jerald carts with wooden wheels at the World Show. Within the past several years the class has become popular and quite a contest with pairs and four in hands pulling elaborate vehicles dominating the class.

Here are a couple of our Antique Vehicle entries from the past several years.

Single

Pair

Four

AMHR also has specific instrucitons as to harness type etc.

Please get a rule book and read the section .

This is a beautiful class, and it is becoming more popular all the time.

Thank you so much for your helpful info. We have a beautiful team of 31 inch palomino geldings who were broken by an Amish man. We don't know if they know different gaits but they do obey commands very well and they seem to know how to back up. When they move, they move in perfect sinc. How do we train them to do the gaits? Who do you recommend as a trainer? Thanks for any information you may give us.

I have two that I would love to team drive. Anyone know where to get an inexpensive team harness?

I second Ron's. Reasonably priced and decent harness. They will also help you if you are unsure of how to size etc. Can't help with a trainer tho. Maybe if there is a local mini club you could ask some of the members who they would recommend.

Latest posts

Back