Teaching driving and jumping?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Taylor Jo

I'm getting ready to start training my almost 3 yo for driving and jumping I think. I have a trainer but it's nice to get opinion so I can form an idea of what to do too. I don't know whether to start training her for both and inner mix or just one at a time. We do show so it is for show that I'm doing it, I love jumping but what ever it is I start w/ I know it has to be slow as she's still not 3. She's got the gaits down for trotting cause I put her in the round pen w/ my gelding who does cart so she knows those so I don't have to teach her that part of it.

I'd appreciate hearing some idea's from anyone help me a lot. Thanks.

I'm trying out the new signature and see if it comes up. Hopefully so....

It depends on how she learns, if she's a fast learner than teacher her one and if she has it down go to the next one. It also depends on what you would mostly use her for and what you think she would excel at.

For jumping i would put down ground poles and say 'up' when she goes over them, w/t/c if you would canter her over the jumps. Then slowly move up when she's ready to go higher. I don't know about driving so i can't give you any advice but good luck!

It depends on how she learns, if she's a fast learner than teacher her one and if she has it down go to the next one. It also depends on what you would mostly use her for and what you think she would excel at. For jumping i would put down ground poles and say 'up' when she goes over them, w/t/c if you would canter her over the jumps. Then slowly move up when she's ready to go higher. I don't know about driving so i can't give you any advice but good luck!

Thanks, that's a good point well taken. I don't know how quick a learner she really is. Only thing I've taught her and she seemed to have caught on was halter show and her leads for driving cause I was teaching my gelding at the same time and she was in the ring at the same time. She "seemed" to have caught on quickly. So when I talk to the trainer this will give me some good things to talk to her about. The only thing I know how to train for is halter so I'm in new territory here and at a total loss and I hate that feeling out of control, but I guess that's when you rely on your trainers expertise.

Thanks again, Taylor Jo

Latest posts

Back