Teach me about AMHR Futurities and Super G

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
Since Im getting a weanling colt soon with the intentions of gelding and showing him, I was hoping some forum members could enlighten me about the regular futurity program and the super g futurity. Im really clueless about both, so please bare with me.

Futurity

The foal must be put in by the breeder. They pay 25.00 to nominate the stallion and then 5.00 for each mare he bred (that they want to put in) This is sent to the office by March 1 I believe. The goal is to pick your best crosses that you think will produce a show winner.

Then when the foal is born it is already in the futurity.

Every year a sustaining fee must be paid for that foal to stay in the futurity for 3 years.

You show in futurity classes whenever you see them listed. Usually your area show and nationals. If your horse places you win a percentage of the pot.

I am not as familiar with Super G but here is what I know.

Super G colts have to first be futurity nominated as above.

Then you noiminate them for Super G by April 1

Nomination is 25.00

Sustaining fee is 100.00 for year two & three

This is different because you can pay double the fee and put them in late. You cannot do that in the normal futurity. (no late buyin)

Fee Structure

A $25.00 payment is due April 1, to make your Colt eligible.

A $100.00 payment is due April 1, to sustain your Two Year Old Colt.

A $100.00 payment is due April 1, to sustain your Three Old Colt. (This horse must be gelded by the time he is to show in the Three Year Old Super “G’ Futurity Classes)

Showing Rules & Regulations.

There are 4 Super “G” Futurity Classes, Division A and B.

Horse may be shown in either Halter or Pleasure Driving – NOT BOTH.

The program eligibility is transferable to new owners.

Late buy-in fees are double the regular fee for the year omitted.

A late buy-in provision does not exist for the regular Futurity Program.

Good Morning,

On your new weanling, did the prior owners nominate his sire and dam into the Futurity? You need to find that out first in order to see if he qualifies.

Kay, did I read that you can nominate a yearling colt in the Super G with out him being a gelding? Can a stud colt show in that class (ex. testicles have not yet descended for gelding)?
default_wacko.png

I could defiantly be wrong, but from the looks of what I read on the amhr website, they can be nominated while they are still stud colts, but must be gelded before the super g futurity when they are three.

Well that seems weird to me. What if the owner never gelded the horse, went on to use them as a breeding stallion, with a winning Super G title? I mean not that is it a huge deal, I had just never noticed that before.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am trying to find the answer to that and will post when I find out. Like I said I am not familiar with Super G but its odd that gelding is not mentioned anywhere on the forms or website? Strange.

It is in the rules somewhere, I remember. (I was gonna nominated my guy, but he was already three and it would have cost a fortune!)

The horse MUST be gelded and have "gelding" on his papers to be able to show in the Super G.

Answer from Leah

For the SUPER G futurity program in the AMHR, the stallions do not have to be gelded until their 3 yr old year which is the year they show in the SUPER G futurity in either driving or halter. To be in this program the horse must also be AMHR futurity nominated and sustained each year and they must be nominated and sustained each year in the Super G program so they can compete their 3 yr old year.

I had no idea that is how the super g is done! Always learning

*super G is NOT the same as super gelding
default_smile.png

Here is what it says on the AMHR website, I bolded where is addresses the gelding part:

Who May Enter Into The Super “G” Program?

You must be a current member of the organization.

Animal Eligibility.

All Colts in the AMHR Futurity (Yearling Colts) are eligible.

Fee Structure

A $25.00 payment is due April 1, to make your Colt eligible.

A $100.00 payment is due April 1, to sustain your Two Year Old Colt.

A $100.00 payment is due April 1, to sustain your Three Old Colt. (This horse must be gelded by the time he is to show in the Three Year Old Super “G’ Futurity Classes)

Showing Rules & Regulations.

There are 4 Super “G” Futurity Classes, Division A and B.

Horse may be shown in either Halter or Pleasure Driving – NOT BOTH.

The program eligibility is transferable to new owners.

Late buy-in fees are double the regular fee for the year omitted.

A late buy-in provision does not exist for the regular Futurity Program

I really don't know anything about it, but from what I was told, the Super G class is only at nationals,so from what I would think from reading above is that as long as your colt is nominated and sustained every year in the regular futurity, you just have to nominate to the super g every year, and then you just have to geld them before the super g class? Ill have to check with amhr to be sure, but I planned to geld my horse asap anyway.

Wait, so the ONLY time you can show in Super G is at Nationals on their third year? So you pay $225 plus class fees before you can even take the horse in the class? Yikes
default_new_shocked.gif

Latest posts

Back